Shelf Life

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Disco_tezz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I was looking at doing a few bulk buys of hops and yeast,

But my concern is about how long will these two items last if left in the vacuum sealed bags and in the fridge or freezer.

I don't plan on leaving them there for years or anything,

they are hops and yeast i use frequently, hence the bulk purchase, but i just don't want it going off, or not being at its best when i come to use the last of my supply.

Hops - vacuum sealed and in the frrezer should last you yonnnnnnkkkkssss.

Yeast - Dry or Liquid? If dry just keep em in the fridge...i think there is a best before or a use by date on packets of yeast? if your just buying a massive lot of the one dry yeast i'd say 6 or 12months if kept proper but someone else on here will know more.

Liquid? not the right person to be answering that one as i dont use Liquid in yeast form.

once the hops come out of the vac seal I still keep em in the freezer as air tight as I can and try to use em up within 3 months.

Steve

Hops - vacuum sealed and in the frrezer should last you yonnnnnnkkkkssss.

Yeast - Dry or Liquid? If dry just keep em in the fridge...i think there is a best before or a use by date on packets of yeast? if your just buying a massive lot of the one dry yeast i'd say 6 or 12months if kept proper but someone else on here will know more.

Liquid? not the right person to be answering that one as i dont use Liquid in yeast form.

Dry Yeast, not up to using liquid yet,

I should have remembered that there is a expiry date on the yeast, But i have never seen them on the Hops, hence why i wanted to know it it was safe to store in bulk.

Here we go chaps, outscourced via Google for some quick info that seems on the money:

High temperature and exposure to air will speed up the losses of alpha-acids. In hop varieties with poor storage characteristics up to 50% of the total harvest alpha-acids may be lost in 6 months stored at 70 F [~21 C]. A good hop will still lose 20% of its total acids under the same storage conditions. Hops should be stored in a fridge or preferably a freezer and air must be excluded from the package. This will more than half the deterioration rate of your hops.

Check it out @ <http://byo.com/departments/884.html>

For those wanting to keep hops etc for awhile these food sealers from Aldi this week might be the go. Even comes with a bundle of bags etc aswell

W21_VACUUM_FOOD_SEALER_PD.jpg

Vacuum Food Sealer
$ 99 *

* Ideal for preserving freshness and extending shelf life of leftovers
* Convenient solution for packing lunches and picnics
* Fully automatic
* Slip-proof bag locking system
* Compact size
* Includes 3m x 28cm plastic roll and 10 small vacuum bags

Also Available Food Sealer Refills $14.99 pk
* Pack includes 2 x (6m x 28cm) plastic rolls

On sale from Thursday 22nd May 2008

Pok

I have also heard not to use hops frozen. Let them come down to room temp prior to use. Not sure why though?

Latest posts

Back