She wants a Pilsner and a Strawberry Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hit BenKen25 up for his Mango Hefeweizen recipe it's awesome!

And a Boh Pils would be a good one for her and you
+1 on that one Ben had at the Case Swap. Very sessionable.

I played around with some strawberry beers last summer after one of our brewers dropped off 100kg instead of 10kg of over-ripe strawberries. Can't in all honesty say any were great. Mostly the colour washed out, lots of haze issues and regardless of how much went into secondary, really no appreciable flavour. about the only one that did do any good was done in a conical under slight positive pressure with CO2.

The flavours and to a greater degree, aromatics simply get lost, either to the yeast or to airlock activity.

Ended up placing that one in the too hard basket for the time being and settled for a couple of small batch Melomels, which were insanely good.

Martin

jimmy86 said:
It was a Kiwit in his book extreme brewing. I have it at home if the recipe is needed.
It would be interesting to see how much fruit was used in a 5 gallon batch...

1.8kg is not much at all. Equates to 90 grams/litre. How you gonna find the kiwi amongst the coriander and belgian wit yeast?

NewtownClown said:
Strawberry is a very elusive aroma and very subtle flavour. The closest to success I've had with strawberry was in a very light blonde (american) with a kilo of fruit added after high krausen. Even then it was extremely subtle with practically zero color. I have had the same issue with plums in a porter and on the third attempt I used plum jam - winner.
I know this is resurrecting an old thread but after a couple of fresh fruit "secondary" experiments I am about to dump 600grams of failed strawberry jam (didn't set) into my fermenter which is a 18L batch of my light wheat ale (4.2% ABV 50:50 BB Pale Malt and Weyermann Wheat Malt - US05 - tiny touch of galaxy for bittering&aroma). Little fella has been bubbling away for two days now since I pitched and keeping me company here in the office at around 17degrees.

I wonder if I will get better strawberry flavours from using the jam - instead of fresh fruit - or will the sugar in the jam just fire up the US05 - and blow all the flavours and aromas out the airlock?

Dunno - but I guess the canesugar will get me a few more gravity points...

interested in jam experiments - OB out!!

If youre not too set on the mango or strawberry i'd strongly suggest a watermelon wheat!
I make one each summer using 50% German pils, 40% german wheat and 10% rolled wheat mashed at 65*c. Hopped with cascade to 11ibus at the 45ish mark and fermented with your choice of a wheat yeast like WB-06 or us-05 if you want something a little less banana/clovey. Rack to secondary with 8-10 cups of freshly pureed and strained watermelon juice for a 23l batch and let it ferment out again. Definately a chick-winner this beer and a summer quaffer for me too
Nice watermelon flavour but not artificial tasting like a lolly

Nathan

Might give that a crack, have a mango beer on the go atm.

50/50 pils and wheat 15 ibu and now sitting on 1kg of mango chunks in the secondary.

Back