Seato wants an IPA for My bday

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seato

Reaction score
This is what I'm making today for my Friday arvo all grain, beer and blues session.

I have made a few IPAs that were intended APA's. But this should be right in the IPA range.

Double batch in keg king two pot BIAB system. 70% efficiency seems to be standard for me.

6 weeks to the bday so this should be in its prime when I crack it.

If anyone makes it or a version of it, give me a shout.

Seato

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1413505718.895131.jpg

I used Victoria Secret 15.5 alpha 25g instead of magnum, has anyone else used this hop?

I'm a little scared of magnum as you really don't need much. I tried it initially because it was used in Sierra Nevada Torpedo which is a great beer. Try it if you haven't.

A 50 litre batch loses about 4-5 litres an hour with my burner. This means I'm at 55 litres after fly sparging. Still this gives me two fermenters with 23litres each. This doesn't add up but there are some losses, it just is.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1413574143.950660.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1413574171.584914.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1413574195.834303.jpg

I haven't used Vic Secret for bittering, only late, which was very nice.

I've used a fair bit of Vic Secret, at all stages of the boil and dry hopping. I like it, good hop that works well with other fruity hops, such as Cascade, Galaxy, Amarillo, Citra etc.

Brave man using galaxy at 45, 30 & even 15mins.....beat used late in the kettle.

Pratty1 said:
Brave man using galaxy at 45, 30 & even 15mins.....beat used late in the kettle.
Even that has a 50/50 chance of leaving your beer tasting like lawn clippings, the only time I've found Galaxy to work is flame out/cube hop.

I live the flavour/aroma of Galaxy but its too damn finicky to be reliable.

Pratty1 said:
Brave man using galaxy at 45, 30 & even 15mins.....best used late in the kettle.
Agreed, everytime I've used galaxy over the 10 to 15 minute mark - it has given my beer quite a bite-y bitterness that I don't enjoy. If I do use it past 15 minutes, it's never in very large quantities. I love galaxy but I've found that you can get a lot of flavor and aroma out of it just by dropping 1g/lt+ in at the 5 minute mark and by dry hopping.

I like Vic Secret a lot too too but tend to treat it the same way as it a close relative to galaxy, I've never bittered with it before. I'd be interested in knowing how that goes.

It's a good looking beer, but it might take a few more weeks than usual in the bottle to smooth out that galaxy bite. I could be wrong though - I hope it turns out well for your birthday sir.

The very last Nelson addition was dry hopped. I've had some pretty good results with Galaxy, and I used an immersion chiller so the last couple of additions should be more flavour than bitter.

I try to stick to around 1 for the BU/GU ratio, as long as I've got enough malt flavours in there to balance all the hops, things have been fine. So far anyway.

Thanks for the comments guys

Latest posts

Back