Sealing Your Wort The No Chiller Way

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
It was suggested that one should squeezze out as much air as possible when filling your poly containers when using the 'No Chiller method' to reduce the air gap .

I find there is another reason for this you can tell if you have a good seal on the container if the sides dont remain squeezed in .

Pumpy :)

pumpy_s_fresh_wort_kit.JPG

I am going to call this the "Knee trembler method" as it burns my knees it is so hot

Pumpy :eek:

I got tired of getting burnt knees, so I use one of these...

clamp.jpg

cheers

nifty

One thing people should remember is that when your wort (or any liquid for that matter) is hot and steaming, the steam will replace air and push it out the container. So if you hot fill and seal it whilst it is still hot you should not have much in the way of air in there anyway - I would have thought.

I personally wouldnt squeeze it with my knees - lol - when you guys mentioned that I had a mental image of half of your skin etc still being stuck on the side of the container. :)

One thing people should remember is that when your wort (or any liquid for that matter) is hot and steaming, the steam will replace air and push it out the container. So if you hot fill and seal it whilst it is still hot you should not have much in the way of air in there anyway - I would have thought.

I personally wouldnt squeeze it with my knees - lol - when you guys mentioned that I had a mental image of half of your skin etc still being stuck on the side of the container. :)

Biz '

If you do not have a good seal, the point of the squeeze is to ensure the air dont get back in there like the jam pots where they say if the top dont pop up dont use the jam .

Nifty,
are they on a ratchet ?

Pumpy

Truely "being at one with the wort" :blink: :(

Biz '

If you do not have a good seal, the point of the squeeze is to ensure the air dont get back in there like the jam pots where they say if the top dont pop up dont use the jam .

Nifty,
are they on a ratchet ?

Pumpy

Yep, I just put a piece of folded cloth between the container and the yellow rubber pads and gently squeeze the trigger until most of the airspace has been pushed out, then tighten the lid.

nifty

I've done around 10 "no chill" brews now, none of which I have squeezed the air out.

I've had no problems, I don't think it is necessary. I don't move my cube once filled for a few days though.

I've done around 10 "no chill" brews now, none of which I have squeezed the air out.

I've had no problems, I don't think it is necessary. I don't move my cube once filled for a few days though.

Slugger you may have good sealing containers

Go the neeze sqeeeze

Nifty ,

great idea the sash cramps gunna get me a set (101 uses for them)

Pumpy

Biz '

Nifty,
are they on a ratchet ?

Pumpy

Ya know, I never even thought of that! lol - thats the 2nd thing I've learned today :p

Another no chill nuance I've noticed is that if you do the "knee squeeze" and displace all air with wort is this...

When you open the cooled cubes to rack to your fermenters upon opening the cube lids the first few mls of wort basically spill out and over the sides. :blink:

Also popping a racking hose into the cube. (Never stickin' a tap in my cubes) the volume is so close to the rim that the racking hose basically displaces the wort down the sides of the cube also.

Verdict. Sticky mess everywhere and infection paranoia OTOH who's gives a stuff? :lol:

I'm "slowly" (read; slowly) becoming a no chill convert. :)

I'll cross to the dark side when my two no chill beers (Pils and Hefe) are being sampled. Early tastings show some promise. :rolleyes:

Warren -

Another no chill nuance I've noticed is that if you do the "knee squeeze" and displace all air with wort is this...

When you open the cooled cubes to rack to your fermenters upon opening the cube lids the first few mls of wort basically spill out and over the sides. :blink:

Also popping a racking hose into the cube. (Never stickin' a tap in my cubes) the volume is so close to the rim that the racking hose basically displaces the wort down the sides of the cube also.

Verdict. Sticky mess everywhere and infection paranoia OTOH who's gives a stuff?

I'm "slowly" (read; slowly) becoming a no chill convert.
I'll cross to the dark side when my two no chill beers (Pils and Hefe) are being sampled. Early tastings show some promise. :rolleyes:

Warren -

Warren ,

There are exemptions in life sometimes one may be just a touch to old to change ;)

Pumpy :D

Back