Scratch Bar over Xmas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yob

Hop to it
Reaction score
Seems Im going to be in Brisbane over Chrissie, thinking of hitting the Scratch while Im up there, around the 28th I guess.

a - anyone else keen for an arvo of tastings?

b - Which other bars may be worth hitting up on the day? (and easily accessible)

:beerdrink:

a- yes
b- plenty (depending on where you are staying)

For quiet drinks and great food bitter suite is great!
For wings and American foods plus 11 taps go to tipplers tap
For a micro brewery go to green beacon (or newstead if it opens on time)
For cover bands and huge bottle range go to archive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Inner city embassy has some great American food as well. A few great taps plus a bunch of lion crafts.

Caxton st has brewski - new bar with 4 rotating plus 4 lion taps.
Caxton also has lefties for night time parties. Two taps and heaps of bottles and whiskey and late night food.

Tipplers tap @ Masters St Tennerife
Green Beacon @ Helen St Tennerife
Archive @ boundary rd West End
Superwhotnot @ Burnett lane CBD
Brisbane brew house @ wooloongabba

There's a couple to start with Yob all within 5 minute cab ride from city.

I'd be keen for a brew or 12 but will be up the coast for a 21st that day.

Mark

Chelmer is on the right side of town for scratch :)

Definitely make your way to newstead or teneriffe at some point though for bitter suite, tipplers and beacon

Combine the train with citycats and you should be able to get to most of them. From Chelmer get off at Milton for the Scratch (and with a bit of a walk) the Caxton Street area pub/bars. Central Stn for Embassy & SWN and the Valley for Yardbirds, Kerbside etc.

Prepare yourself for stupidly expensive public transport charges though....

Nice one, might do some of those others on different days and keep to the scratch in the 28th.. From what I recall of the last time I was there, it was a decent haul down the drinks list at the time

Lookin forward to it

Ah... Chelmer, you'll be staying just up the road from me Yob.

As it has been said; you'll have no trouble getting to Scratch in Milton from there. It is just a single 18 minute train ride away and located less than 50 metres away from the train station.

The Pig and Whistle Indooroopilly is only one train station away and has a decent range on tap (Little Creatures, J. Squires, Matilda Bay etc). Nothing super special, you understand but they do $6 pint happy hour between 5pm - 7pm daily and they have a lovely menu for dinner. An early dinner and an affordable pint or two to start you off?

Archive is solid and not too hard to get too from Chelmer. It should be a train into Roma St Station and a bus from there into West End. It is plagued by the younger crowd and loud music but the beer is very good.

Das Brisbane German Club in East Brisbane is very good too (and not an awfully far from West end) for excellent german beer and awesome food. 20 - 25 minute walk from Southbank Train Station (or a $6 cab ride if you don't feel like walking it), I'm pretty sure it was where the brisbane crew started their pub crawl last year. Check their website (the Brisbane German Club) for an idea of what they have...

Like I said, I live a few stations back from Chelmer and they are the places I would find it easiest to get to from my side of town on public transport.

Get yourself a Go Card in whilest in Brisbane, if you're catching more than 5 or 6 trips on public transport it'll cost $10, save you money on each trip and I'm fairly sure you can sell it back to Brisbane Transport when you leave (need to double check that info though).

Remember Translink is your friend whilest in brisbane, the Journey Planner function on the website is quite good and you can get it as an app in case you get lost. Enjoy your stay in Brissy, Sir.

add Brewhouse to the list - I'm not sure what the public transport options from Chelmer are, but it's a short walk from south bank. pints of their beers usually around $8 and an extensive list of bottle IPAs, much cheaper than other crafty places - and they do takeaways.

Yah Brewhouse - how did I leave that off da list? Our man Sim is kicking some goals with his small batch offerings these days as well. (Where is the friggen lambic Sim?)

Oh yeah, the Brewhouse! Stop in there for a pint or two on your way to the German club from South Brisbane Train Station, It's on the way, basically halfway there. You'd almost have to walk past it.

Oh and I checked the Go Card terms and conditions. You buy it for $10, add credit to it (at any train station and most newsagents, 7/11's etc) and just be sure to swipe on and off of any bus or train station as you get on and off. Upon leaving Brisbane just return the card to any train station or go card kiosk (there's one at the airport) for a full $10 refund. Easy as and 30% cheaper than paper tickets.

More details Here if I haven't been real clear.

winkle said:
Yah Brewhouse - how did I leave that off da list? Our man Sim is kicking some goals with his small batch offerings these days as well. (Where is the friggen lambic Sim?)
At the risk of dragging Yob's Bis pissup thread OT......Is Johann gone?

Looking forward to re-aquainting myself with all the above venues when I go back in Jan. Especially the German Club. I'm going to drink Gallons of Kostrizer.

We'll this is sounding promising, SWMBO reckons it's a good idea I go out for it so looking forward to it... Might even drag the BIL along ;)

Latest posts

Back