Scientifically Proven

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jase

Reaction score
At last science catches up with community held knowledge - we've known for years that having a beer was good for you.......

BEER INGREDIENT REDUCES PROSTATE CANCER RISK: A new study from researchers at Oregon State University reveals that a natural ingredient found in beer may reduce the risk of prostate cancer. The ingredient, found in the hops used to brew beer, is xanthohumol, and belongs to a group of plant compounds called flavonoids that can trigger the death of cancer cells along the surface of the prostate gland. Researchers are quick to point out the amount of xanthohumol in beer is far too low to be of any benefit, estimating it would require consuming a case of beer per day to activate the positive effects. German brewers have already responded by creating a beer with ten times the amount of xanthohumol, marketing it as a "healthy beer."

Cheers,
Jase

Well its time to start catching up on all those lost opportunities to drink more beer. Always thought prevention was better than cure!! ;) A slab a day though...there goes the diet!!!

And there was the story in yesterday's Sydney Herald about US researchers who've discovered that the more COFFEE u drink the LESS LIKELY u r to develop alcohol related cirrhosis.

And there was the story in yesterday's Sydney Herald about US researchers who've discovered that the more COFFEE u drink the LESS LIKELY u r to develop alcohol related cirrhosis.

So we should take a case of Coopers to Starbucks.

At last science catches up with community held knowledge - we've known for years that having a beer was good for you.......

BEER INGREDIENT REDUCES PROSTATE CANCER RISK: A new study from researchers at Oregon State University reveals that a natural ingredient found in beer may reduce the risk of prostate cancer. The ingredient, found in the hops used to brew beer, is xanthohumol, and belongs to a group of plant compounds called flavonoids that can trigger the death of cancer cells along the surface of the prostate gland. Researchers are quick to point out the amount of xanthohumol in beer is far too low to be of any benefit, estimating it would require consuming a case of beer per day to activate the positive effects. German brewers have already responded by creating a beer with ten times the amount of xanthohumol, marketing it as a "healthy beer."

Cheers,
Jase

I find your heading very missleading and by the reaction of people in this topic already some seem to be confused. By my reading (and correct me if im wrong) but I dont think this article sudgests we should all go out and drink a case a day I think all its indicating is that a compound found in hops CAN REDUCE the risk of prostate cancer. The fact that the primary use of hops is beer automaticaly makes it a wonder liquid?

This just drives home some of the opinions we have just brought up in the beer belly thread. People are very quick to exaserbate these sorts of things to mask their problems.

Like the people who say "oh I can have another slice of cake because I walked the dog today and ive had exercise." If you one of those people, you make me sick.

Bring on the hate,

Coffee beer anyone? :chug:

Like the people who say "oh I can have another slice of cake because I walked the dog today and ive had exercise." If you one of those people, you make me sick.

Bring on the hate,
[/quote]

Finite,

Next time you should tell us how you REALLY feel :D :ph34r: :p

Cheers,
Jase

<abbrev>

Bring on the hate,

</abbrev>

No hate here, just pity.
Saving all my hate for a rainy day.

R U drunk, or masochistic?

BTW, pass me some cake coz I saw someone walking a dog the other day.
Hmm, maybe they were taking it down the Green Mile before they slaughtered and ate it?

I reckon they should re-run their tests against one of Doc's 100+ IBU monsters. :p

Cheers,
Jase

I find your heading very missleading and by the reaction of people in this topic already some seem to be confused. By my reading (and correct me if im wrong) but I dont think this article sudgests we should all go out and drink a case a day I think all its indicating is that a compound found in hops CAN REDUCE the risk of prostate cancer. The fact that the primary use of hops is beer automaticaly makes it a wonder liquid?

This just drives home some of the opinions we have just brought up in the beer belly thread. People are very quick to exaserbate these sorts of things to mask their problems.

Bring on the hate,

Some one needs a
HUG

That would be dangerous if you are drunk 'aveanotheree' for me
oooops,
got to pour me another bitter. 11 weeks in bottle and taste like gold Have I Got a problem? YESSSSSSSH constaple swchwarts...hickup

Some one needs a[/color] HUG
...or a slap!

or therapy?

I need therapy because I strive to be healthy? Because I find it disconcerting that people find it convinient to habour some strange ideal of what is "healthy" to make themselves feel beter.

Man is an enigma. He wants to live a long time, yet is constantly threatening himself with annihilation. He desires the enjoyment of good health, yet regularly ignores the basic rules for it. He longs for immortality, yet often lives a life not fit to live forever.

Gilbert L Guffin

...or a slap!

or therapy?

I need therapy because I strive to be healthy? Because I find it disconcerting that people find it convinient to habour some strange ideal of what is "healthy" to make themselves feel beter.

Man is an enigma. He wants to live a long time, yet is constantly threatening himself with annihilation. He desires the enjoyment of good health, yet regularly ignores the basic rules for it. He longs for immortality, yet often lives a life not fit to live forever.

Gilbert L Guffin

Oh dear... Oh dear oh dear... Perhaps a hug and then a couple of burgers would do the trick? :rolleyes:

Shawn.

Double bacon and a nice egg on mine please. :beer: :lol:

Warren -

Im tired, its been a long week. Ive worked 70 hours from Monday to friday this week. I appologise if i seem aggravated....maybe I should go sleep?

So we should take a case of Coopers to Starbucks.

Coffee beer anyone? :chug:

MMMmmm Coffee/Chocolate Russian Imperial Stout.....That'll kill ALL cancers!!!!

...or a slap!

or therapy?

Gilbert L Guffin

Someone sounds like a tree hugging Hippy Uni Student!!!! ;) :D

And why do people always try to ram 'Strive for a healthy lifestyle' down your throat?...maybe thats what causes the weight gain..... <_<

Does anyone here actually strive for immortality (except through devising that one beer that is just the best drop anyone has ever brewed and thereby placing your name in history)?

I'm all for trying to be healthy, and it is good to do what you can to manage that through whatever means you have at your disposal, but is it not also a personal choice how you choose to live your life? Another issue at stake here, I believe, is the question of how you really define 'health'. Yes, I realise that the general interpretation in society is that we should basically all be athletic, non-drinking, non-smoking idealists who fall within the narrow gap of not weighing more than 1-2 kilos above our so-called 'ideal weight'. However, in my opinion a lot more factors can be taken into the definition of health; Do you feel good? Do you feel deprived? Are you experiencing what you wish to experience?

You know, there are a hell of a lot of things out there that are not good for you when you look at it from a purely physical point of view, but I can tell you that if you say no to every 'second helping' of cake all the way through life, you are not going to be a healthy human being once you leave this existence. And by 'cake' in this instance, I mean both literally and metaphorically. You may not want to say yes to every one of them, but that is choice.

Yep, I'd love to get fairly old in years, but . . well, I want to have a fair bit of fun on the road to getting there. If I live until 72 and feel that I've seen and tried things to a degree where I can be satisfied, then I'd take that over living to be 87 and saying "Damn, I wish I had . . ."

Life is not endless. Living in an "unhealthy manner" will not necessarily make life shorter. My Great Grandmum died when she was 94. She smoked in excess of 20 a day since she was 17 (in 1916, I believe - her father and also her husband were cigar manufacturers, so she also had at least one of those a day), from the year she turned sixty she had a dram and a beer with breakfast - the same with lunch, and a beer an hour or so before bed.

I doubt she would have lived longer had she abstained. She also loved chocolate btw. :)

I'm not saying that is what you should aim for, and of course there are more people that this regime simply wouldn't work for than of those for whom it would, but isn't it basically a choice we have to make individually in life? We all see life from different perspectives, and if some enjoy a drink or good food more than others and therefore may have a bit more (I'm not talking about actual alcoholics here) is it actually reasonable to say you can not respect them for their views in life?

I think not.

There are a lot of people who enjoy things that do absolutely nothing for me, but I do not respect them less for it. They simply have different tastes and that is just fine.

In my opinion, home brewing is very, very much about enjoyment. Homebrewers brew for a multitude of reasons, but I think the one reason that most have in common is that we enjoy a good beer. We enjoy something that is good - that makes us feel good.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that there are other and more things to enjoy in life than a belief that we may live long. At least I bloody well hope so, otherwise it is all a little bit wasted, isn't it?

Dear Lord. What a useless rant!

Cheers,

Jens-Kristian

Well said Jens-Kristian :beer:

cheers Ross...

Back