Scientifically Proven

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Words of advice from my 96 year old grandmother (who still walks down the street to do her shopping!).

"If you spend your life not smoking, not drinking and exercising every day... you don't live any longer.
It just FEELS like you do"

Cheers,
Phil

Like the people who say "oh I can have another slice of cake because I walked the dog today and ive had exercise." If you one of those people, you make me sick.
Gdday Finite. Im sure you have just had a big week but if I may, can I point out a few things.

From memory you are 19 about to turn 20. When I was yiour age I could eat elephants deepfried and dipped in lard followed by a keg or two without putting on weight.

Now that Im 40, I have to be more careful as I only need to nibble on a deep fried chihuahua to inflate my extra tire. Now I only occasionally have a steamed one with Asian greens - a real multicultural dish.

I would have to say that the volume of ffod I eat is the big problem. I love my food and cook our family meal most nights and rarely from a can or a packet. Love my curries and Asian foods. Greek, whatever. As long as its interesting.

I also have kids and dont have the time or money to go to the gym.

My old man (A Doctor) is 70+, thin as a rake and plays golf continuously. He is constantly on to me about my weight even though I am not HUGE. Just a little Heavy (5'11" 1/2 and 93 Kg - 105cm around my weight.

BTW he has been attending a series of seiminars on weight and they are prclaiming that you shouldnt go by weight but by girth and basically any waist over 100cm is over. Apparently this all adds extra stain on the heart.

Back on my point though. My old man stresses about my weight. I dont.
In fact I had my cholesterol tested the other day and was told it was excellent at 4.3.

My old mans response ...."Your not out of the woods yet!"

Basically I believe that stress is what really gets us in the end. Thats where I have the advantage over you Finite. I just dont stress about things much. Doesnt mean I dont care, I just "duck under" the stress.

Working 70 hour weeks at 19 is a good start to that.

Now this doesnt mean I dont give a toss about my weight. Probably the last 3 Kgs of my weight has been since Ive been Brewing my own beer. So now I only drink beer on weekends. (Unfortunately that does mean I have alcohol free days as I still have a cheap wine at night with dinner most week nights)

Anyway my sermon is almost over and its not aimed solely at Finite.

The list of supplements for me are as follows;

- Dont stress
- Try to reduce my meal sizes.
- Dont stress.

The result is that although I have a slight gut, nobody can believe I am forty and many pick me for 35 or even 30. That makes my day!

Finite - if at 19 / 20 you are made sick by fat people ......you should chill out. Also I hope your fitness schedule can hold out till you are 40 or 50.

Personally Im with Hans-Kristen and like to live the life Ive got and enjoy it!
I plan to arrive skidding sideways at my grave site with a beer in one hand and a great curry (a GREAT Curry) in the other saying "Phew what a ride! That was fantastic!". If Im lucky I will also be buffed as I will have more time to spend at the gym or playing golf.

I hope I dont misquote buddah's teaching here and in any case it will be severely paraphrased, but I think it was him that said something along the lines of "A temptation is only a temptation until you try the forbidden fruit. Just try a little bit". Inote that many Buddah staues are fat and laughing.

Cheers for now...time for breakfast :)

ATOMT

<abbrev>
When I was your age I could eat elephants deepfried and dipped in lard followed by a keg or two without putting on weight.

Now that Im 40, I have to be more careful as I only need to nibble on a deep fried chihuahua to inflate my extra tire. Now I only occasionally have a steamed one with Asian greens - a real multicultural dish.
</abbrev>

ATOMT

Finite, I apologise if you found my response to your over-the-top rant to be another over-the-top rant.

As ATOMT indicated, you can't live anyone else's life for them, and it's too stressful to try.

I still think about the "double cheeseburger Monte Cristo" that I never had, and will prob never have. Apparently it was one of Elvis's faves, and look what happened to him.

ATOMT, my doctor didn't mention "dog" when he gave me a list of food that I should think about avoiding, but then he didn't mention alcohol either.
If you avoid everything you like, life will just seem longer, even if it's not.

I blame fast food for giving me my belly, and other factors for keeping it. And I wouldn't be surprised if some of those late-nite kebabs do have a bit of dog in them.

Seth

this is all too serious.

Fundamentally what you eat in a day must not have more potential energy than what you use in a day, otherwise you store it.

Live you own life.

Fellas,

Thanks for you replies. Now that Ive regrouped I may be able to say what I mean better.

I dont think stress is a problem when it comes to me. Ive just gone through probably my busiest week in the year which doesnt happen often. Even though Ive been so busy Ive still managed to find time to exercise. Most of the time im very laid back and always joking around. I have a friend who is overweight and love him like a brother I also know many other people who eat too much.

I have only mentioned my friends weight once as he has fitness problems and had a chest infection which is constantly plaguing him and when I see him sitting down at the computer drinking a 2L bottle of coke and eating chips it brakes my heart. Yet I dont say anything, hes the kindest and best friend you could have and thats all that is important to me.

Peoples lives are their own and can do whatever they want. I was not picking on anyone in particular and was DEFINATLEY NOT saying I hate overweight people. If that was the case I would have to hate my dad which isnt the case.

The point where I get worried is where their is an obvious correlation with what people are eating, their lifestyle and their weight, yet they chose to ignore it. If it makes them unhappy its not worth it and I would rather see someone be overweight and happy and die at the age of 50 than be skinny, unhappy and die late.

I can see how having kids and such can take allot of this time, but if I was a parent I would want to set a healthy example to my children. You dont have to have money to do exercise I dont have much money but still manage to do exercise in my room and jog around campus. I may end up living less time than a 94 year old who smokes everyday and I wont be angry for that but at least Ive given myself a fighting chance. I will continue to strive to be healthy as I age, maybe I will or maybe I wont let myself go but Im trying and thats more than I can say about some people. Again this is not about making anyone feel a lesser person I hope that everyone does exactly what they want because thats more important than doing what someone else thinks is right. I apologise and it was wrong of me to say what I did, I can understand if you dont see my argument as valid being young kid who hasnt lived life and doesnt know anything but I still feel my opinion is important.

The smoking one is a perfect example of what Im saying. If you smoke 20 a day for your life you may still live until your 94 but the chances are you wont. If it starts to affect other peoples lifes around you then it does matter. If your kids want to go for a bike ride but they can only go out the front because their mother or father is to overweight to ride with them then do you still not care? If you cant go on the rollercoaster with your son because youre too overweight to fit in the cart then does it matter? If youre playing in a father son soccer game and have to leave because you cant stand up is it affecting more than just you?

These are things Ive personally experienced and if I know that there is something I can do to improve my quality of life then Im going to try my hardest to do it, if Im able to ride my bike with my kids, go on the rollercoaster with them or play a game of soccer, well I would trade that any day for a pack of smokes and a beer, hands down and all the work Ive done would be worth it just like that.

Im not talking about being a fitness Nazi I just talking about being aware of your weight, diet and your fitness because in this day and age where it is socially acceptable to be obese and the skinny kids get teased more in school than the fat ones (yes I was even though I wasnt underweight) its very easy to become blas about what damage you could be doing.

this is all too serious.

Fundamentally what you eat in a day must not have more potential energy than what you use in a day, otherwise you store it.

Live you own life.

Simple/Fundamental/Practical/Factual.

of the day.You are the man.

Latest posts

Back