Hops Prevent Cancer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jendres

Reaction score
http://www.postchronicle.com/news/breaking...212181919.shtml

Beer assists in fighting cancer? A key ingredient of brew may contain a cancer-fighting substance, a German beer study indicated. Cancer fighting beer. Who would have thunk it?

Studies indicated xanthohumol, found in hops, inhibits a family of enzymes that can trigger the cancer process, as well as help the body detoxify carcinogens, science newswire Ivanhoe reported Monday. Preliminary studies at Oregon State University show that xanthohumol can kill breast, colon, ovarian and prostate cancers.

"It's very healthy. I think the ingredients in the beer are very good," Werner Back of Brewing Technology at the Technical University of Munich.

Xanthohumol contains more powerful antioxidants than vitamin E and some studies indicate it helps reduce oxidation of bad cholesterol, the newswire reported.

"Xanthohumol has been shown to be a very active substance against cancer," said Markus Herrmann , also in Munich. "It comes in small sticky beads, which you find within the hops."

But don't frost that mug just yet. It would take 60 regular beers to equal the amount of xanthohumol German researchers are able to brew in their one super beer.

But don't frost that mug just yet. It would take 60 regular beers to equal the amount of xanthohumol German researchers are able to brew in their one super beer.

I take that as a challenge!

plus what the hell defines a 'regular' beer, lol.

I take that as a challenge!

plus what the hell defines a 'regular' beer, lol.

So regular beer being mega swill with next to no hops in it? What about a 70IBU APA? :p 6 of em and youll be right maybe? I can handle that :chug:

I wonder if keeping up a steady slow supply of hops will give the same effect as a megadose of their "special" beer?

Xanthohumol contains more powerful antioxidants than vitamin E and some studies indicate it helps reduce oxidation of bad cholesterol, the newswire reported.
I'd always wondered if hops contained some sort of antioxidants. Considering they're all the rage these days...what with all of the flogging of coffee, tea, dark chocolate, goji berries, etc ...wouldn't be suprised if they start flogging hops in some way, shape or form, other than in beer! :blink:

Beer assists in fighting cancer? A key ingredient of brew may contain a cancer-fighting substance, a German beer study indicated. Cancer fighting beer. Who would have thunk it?

CRAP, I drink 2 or 3 pints a night and I got cancer. Lucky they got it early enough and got it out.

They also say hops help insomina... yes initially I can drink enough it knocks me out. But I always wake up. And there is no way Im having a hop tea!

A "peep over the shoulder" is a good cure for insomnia :excl:

staggalee.

Im not sure if I know what you mean Staggalee...

I guess ill have to wait for tommorow... Im going home to have a BEER!

Is that like a "tap on the shoulder" Stagglee?
Because that always ends up waking me up,

tap on the shoulder = upset missus = elbow in ribs = my screaming pain = night on the couch.... = no sleep

Is that like a "tap on the shoulder" Stagglee?
Because that always ends up waking me up,

tap on the shoulder = upset missus = elbow in ribs = my screaming pain = night on the couch.... = no sleep

no, it`s like a peep over the shoulder....... a roll in the hay........ye olde horizontal folk dancing...... sheeesh, I gotta explain everything :lol:

staggalee.

no, i understood, it's just the idea and the acutuality are different depending on who you are peeping on... oh and when i do get lucky and get a peep i can't sleep anyhow as my gf slaps me and says you can't sleep now....lol

Well to get this thread back on topic ;) . I'm going to get so much mileage out of this with the other half.

"See honey I need to drink all this beer to ward off cancer"
"No I can't wash up I need to have my daily cancer warding off necter"
"I don't think I can go to the inlaws because I'm having another anti cancer treatment"
"I can't not drink it! I might get cancer"

Can you see a pattern forming here? :D

Look with all due respect Stagglee and i were discussing a serious topic... prostate cancer is not to be sneered at ;)

However, point taken... back on topic
"no i cant vacuum, i need to clean the kegerator..stops cancer"
"can't paint the windows, i'm taking my anti cancer dyalisys"

This topic is a sure cure for insomnia ;)

Maybe the hops just balance out the fact that ethanol is actually an IARC Group 1 known carcinogen to humans ?! :)

beer cures cancer, red wine is good for the heart, yet alcohol shrinks the brain, rots the liver and shuts down the kidneys <_<

Bah! One side says it's good, the other bad. I don't need an excuse to drink beer..I JUST LIKE IT!!!

(it is a good tidbit to store away in my ever shrinking brain so that next time the missus asks me why I "drink that stuff" I have another smart arse answer that will see me re-acquainted with the couch :lol: )

*edit* my apologies on using the 'w' word, but I also like that too!

no, it`s like a peep over the shoulder....... a roll in the hay........ye olde horizontal folk dancing...... sheeesh, I gotta explain everything

Ok stag... I brew beer but Im still a girl... a shag does not get me to sleep. does the job for him but.

Latest posts

Back