Sausage Rolls

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, as an old baker who is never going back (I hope) here is the stock standard sausage roll recipe from 30 odd years ago. 50/50 minced beef and stale bread (in those days we recycled our left over/unsold bread, these days it's full of fat, milk, protien and sugar to extend shelf life). Soak the stale bread for 10 min (cover with water) then squeeze the water out or place in a large seive to drain for 15 min. Mix bread, mince, salt and pepper to taste for only a few minutes, you don't want gloop. Spread some puff pastry sheets (we used to use sheets about 3M long) slightly overlap to make a long length if possible. Now pipe the sausage mix using a piping bag along the far edge of the pastry. Roll the far edge back over the sausage mix to meet the pastry. Start on the left with your hands in a sort of funnel shape to form the roll as you move along from left to right along the far edge of the pastry, rolling the pastry back toward you. Move to the left end again again and repeat. This time finishing with a double layer of pastry beneath the sausage tube, if you get my drift. Cut along the edge of the sausage tube facing you to separate the filled tube from the sheet. Now push the long sausage tube away from you leaving a gap between it and the new far edge of the pastry sheet. Repeat until you have used all of the pastry. Now, you will have a number of filled sausage tubes all parallel and together. No need for a sharp knife, use any blade to mark a cutting location on the tube, mark them into whatever length (75mm is good) you want. Now use a blade to cut them off at the marked locations and then separate and place on a baking tray. Use a blade to mark some 45 angle marks along the top of the rolls and then wash with some water and a pastry brush. Bake for about 20 min at 200C. You can add mixed herbs, chicken stock or just about any herbs/seasoning you like to your own sausage rolls. Nothin like the old Savage Roll, well maybe a Dogs Eye with Dead Horse :lol:

That was more difficult to explain than to actually do.

Screwy

We often put ground cumin and coriander in ours and serve with chermoula or harissa. Or sweet chilli sauce at a pinch, though usually there's a jar of homemade harissa in the fridge.

No one complains. ;)

T.

"It's a log way to the shop
If you want a sausage roll" ;)

Apologies to AC/DC

Im going to make them, Pork mince, pineapple, cheese, bacon and chilli sausage rolls....
doing these KT for tomorrow. ive premixed it all except the cheese and pineapple. yum yum yum.

should hav taken more pics of them. oh well.. they got smashed. left overs were the kids lunch on sunday.
IMG_0161.jpg

1kg of prok mince, 1 roll of sausage mince, 800g of crushed pineaple (juice squeezed out), 8 rashers bacon, + tarragon and tyme, some sweet chili sauce + pepper. throw some seaseme seeds on top. needed 1 onion finely choppedd i recon. but i was out of onions.

made 12 (i think) full pastry length sausage rolls.

edit: are fermentors wonderful things. multi purpose

I make these quite often. They are tasty and very quick. You may need to tinker with quantities a little.
PORK FENNEL AND APPLE.
600g minced pork
2 apples grated, juice squeezed
1 small ( or half a large) fennel bulb grated
1 medium/ large carrot grated
2 spring onions finely chopped
1 large clove of garlig grated/ pressed
1 tbsp ground fennel seeds
1 tbsp ground corriander seeds
1 egg beaten (keep a little for glazing or have an extra egg)
breadcrumbs
salt and black pepper

2- 3 sheets of puff pastry

Mix everything accept the breadcrumbs together, season to taste with salt and pepper. Add breadcrumbs as needed ( not too much) roll in puff pastry sheets and glaze with beaten egg.this quantity will fill 3 sheets or will cram 2. It Depends how you like your rolls. Cut the rolls up as small as you like. Note that you have to squeeze the juice from the apple or the rolls weep during cooking and turn the bottom of the pastry to goo.

Ingredients

• 400g sausage mince
  • 300g chicken mince
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed
  • 1 medium carrot, grated
  • 1 medium zucchini, grated
  • 1 cup (65g) fresh breadcrumbs
  • 3 tbs chopped parsley
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • Salt & freshly ground pepper
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 sheets frozen puff pastry, semi thawed
  • 1 tbs (10g) sesame seeds
  • Tomato sauce, to serve
  1. Preheat oven to 200C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Mix both minces, onion, garlic, carrot, zucchini, breadcrumbs, parsley, nutmeg and seasoning together. Beat 1 egg and add to mince mixture. Divide into 6 equal portions.
  2. Cut pastry sheets in half. Roll a mince portion until 25cm long. Place down the centre of pastry. Beat remaining egg and brush edges.
  3. Roll up to enclose filling, and cut into 6 pieces. Place on trays, seam side down. Brush with egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake for 20 mins, reduce heat to 180C, and cook for 10 minutes until golden. Serve with tomato sauce.
These come up a treat. Made them several times and I'm always asked to make them for parties etc. Local club restaurant now want me to make them as finger food for weddings, wakes etc. A tip is to use Pampas puff pastry. I have used cheap brand pastry and found it to fatty and no real puff. I spoon the mixture onto the pastry and work it into shape. I don't roll it as it does not roll that well.

Guys, as a self proclaimed foodie (and newbie to the AG world)... the mix is a combo of 50 / 50 veal and pork mince with (500gm each) with a packet of dorito's blitzed in a food processor and seasoning. Puff pastry sheets, an egg lightly beaten to bind edges.

simple with a bit of seasoning being organic pepper and some Peter pepper chillies for shock and awe effect.

Eaten with a successful White rabbit dark ale clone ... AWESOME!!

Got a batch in the oven now using Bribies recipe except I used suasage mince from the butcher. Just a bit of thyme and some cracked pepper for seasoning.

Edit: They are a winner with all the family :beer:

L&G,
can I suggest that instead of using straight sausage mince you mix it 50 / 50 with normal minced meat. Bread crumbs and Garlic are not additions but essentialss ;-) .. try the use of ETA BBQ sauce and dried chilli for extra yums ... lol.. sauce is pretty important .. as is diced onion and GOOD seasoning ...

Made a variant last weekend

500g Sausage Mince
2 onions
Big knob of Ginger
jar of sun dried tomato's
Tablespoon of cumin
Panko break crumbs

My family actually complimented me on them :)

Similar to the recipe I got from my flatmate. A tablespoon of tomato sauce / chutney is good. Matches with the sauce you add to it later. I tend to get finely ground pork from an asian supermarket. It's noms! I add garlic, salt, pepper, and whatever spices I'm in the mood for.

Back