Sausage Rolls

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettprevans

HB so good, it will raise the dead
Reaction score
ok so this has to be one of the easiest recipes you make. Im posting my no measurements recipe that I used at the Vic Xmas Case Swap. These lasted less than 5 minutes and took bugger all time to make. Alter to suit your own tastes

Ingredients
1 packet of sausage mince (found in the meat/sausage section of your local ubermaker)
1 onion finely diced (or roughly chopped for more rustic feel)
1 large carrot grated
1 egg
3 tablespoons of fresh finely chopped rosemary
4 good splashes of tomato sauce
couple good splashes of whistshire or Lea & Perrins sauce
some cheese (grated or just slices)
teaspoon of garlic
salt & pepper
cayenne pepper
3 sheets of normal pastry cut in half length ways (thus 6 long strips of pastry)

Method
pour yourself a beer and drink at any interval :D .
1. preheat overn to 190C
2. grease a tray
3. wet hands (it keeps the mince from sticking to your hands)
4. Mix everything together really well (not the cheese or pastry)
5. make the mix into long logs and put on the pastry sheets towards one side.
6. put some cheese on the top of the meat logs (or you can mix it into the main mix, up to you.)
7. sprinkle some more cayenne pepper - I love the stuff
8. lightly wet 1 long edge of pasty so it will stick to the other pasty when you roll it up.
9. roll the pastry over the meat logs. you want a little bit of an overlap so the meat doesnt come out.
10. lightly prick with a fork along the length (its mainly for show)
11. cut into whatever size sausage rolls you want (I recon 5cm or 2inch lengths are good party size)
11. brush with a little bit of milk so the pasty goes nice and brown
12. stick it in the overn for a good 35 min or until golden brown and the meat looks cooked.

then EAT!

Total cost is about $5 for probably 16 x 5cm sausage rolls and they taste a hell of a lot better than crappy bought ones.

Note: Once you have made the logs and before you've cooked them, you can wrap in clingwrap and freeze for consumption later. Then cut thaw and cook when you want. They taste just as good. I try to keep a few in the freezer for lazy dinners/lunches.

enjoy

I got to the first instruction and got distracted will have to try again tomorrow.

Cheers for the recipe. These little beauties will be on the table on Christmas Day.

IMHO puff pasty makes the best home made sausage rolls.

Thanks for inspiring me to hassle my Grandma for her recipe (best sausage rolls ever!)

Might have to try this recipe too :D

IMHO puff pasty makes the best home made sausage rolls.

Thanks for inspiring me to hassle my Grandma for her recipe (best sausage rolls ever!)

Might have to try this recipe too :D

So what is your Grandma's recipe!!! Love to see it.

I love making saussage rolls. Much nicer than the ones you buy. My recipe is somethign like -

1kg sausage mince
1 large onion
At least 1 clove garlic
1 egg
Salt
pepper
Other Stuff for flavour
Puff pastry sheets

Use a food processor to munge up the garlic and onion into tiny bits. Mix through the mince with the egg and salt and pepper (the egg binds the mix together). Now I add flavouring - herbs, spices, minced sundried tomatos, chilli, anything that takes your fancy. Mix it through well.

Cut a piece of puff pastry in half to get 2 long rectangles. Run a line of the mince mix up the centre long ways then fold the sides in to wrap the pastry around the mince and form the roll. Cut into whatever lengths you want (half for normal size, quarters for party size). repeat till all the mince is gone.

Plece on tray seam side down. Brush with beaten egg. Sprinkle with something if you want them to look fancy (sea salt, pepper, herbs, chilli flakes). Bake at about 200 till golden brown.

Eat. With beer.

Cheers
Dave

I can vouch for CM's saudage roll's, a fair few were smashed down in minutes at the swap.

i'll be making these for the NYE party im having.

Cheers citymorgue2,
made up a batch of these today and they were pretty tasty! SWMBO was out so I had a "AHB day" & made your sausage rolls, a batch of beef jerky (inspired by Browndog), filled up a keg of soda water, cleaned up an emply keg, gassed up my weizen, kegged and bottled my Acerola Pale. Just about ready to up the feet up and get stuck into the snacks with a few beers :D

Edit - forgot the pickled eggs (spare room for sure tonight)

Just love snag rolls :p , I am going to make some of these this weekend. hmmmm chilli sausage rolls :D

Cheers Steve

I make one similar to that.. Bloody beautiful too!!! always add chilli!
I make up big batches and put in the freezer for events.
The trick i've found, is to cook them until the pastry is cooked, but not browned, then you can finish them off in the oven when you want to serve them.

Thanks for the recipe citymorgue.

Sathid, did you manage to find out your Grandmother's recipe? Also make sure you grab any other recipe from her.

Thanks for the recipe citymorgue2 going to give these a try today! I'll let you know what we think of them, i'm sure they will be great! :D

I'm definitely going to make these! Cheers for the recipes!

But what beer would go well with these? I realise it would depend on what spices you add, but what would be a good start?

Just as an aside, I was wondering too what beer would go well with Fairy Bread?

City morgues gonna make 15 batches so i can freeze some at the xmas case swap!

I made these last night - I added a little dried chilli to the mix as I like things hot and on a couple of them I melted some cheese over the top.

Exceptional recipe and incredibly easy to make. Thanks for sharing citymorgue!

Just as an aside, I was wondering too what beer would go well with Fairy Bread?

Something REALLY strong. Like a trippel... or straight vodka. Have a couple beforehand. It makes the fairy bread palitable and also makes the kids party you are hosting a lot less horrific...

Back