Sanitise urn - no chill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeggie

Reaction score
So...brew day today and it just dawned on me there is something I have never done....take apart and clean my urn tap.

I no chill so it's always scalding hot liquid going thru the tap and I've only ever had one infection (half a batch which I narrowed down to insufficiently cleaned bottles)

Is cleaning the urn tap necessary?

Do it and see what comes out. I clean my kettle tap between every brew.

I liken the idea of not cleaning something 'because it gets hot' to someone not cleaning a frying pan or coffee cup.

zeggie said:
Is cleaning the urn tap necessary?

I say cleaning your urn tap is a definite must do. I have read of many cases of infection in a tap causing ongoing infected batches. I personally disassemble and clean down my urn tap after each brew day. It's easy to do and just reduces the risk.

Another thing I've read which seems good practice is just giving the tap a sniff prior to starting out. Often infections that have got started inside your tap somewhere can be picked up with a quick wiff of the tap.

What urn? If it's a Birko be very careful you don't strip the thread. The top tap assembly that screws into the metal body of the tap is crappy plastic. Be very careful and maybe use a bit of keg lube. The old time Birko used to have metal to metal threads but sadly the company seem to be cheapening their urns nowadays. I did a tap assembly and the new one cost nearly $50.

Crown urn. I'll test taking it off. If it's a pr$#@ of a tap I'll head to keg king and replace it for something better

Came across this old thread. My urn now serves as a HLT only, but DAYYYUM when I cleaned the stock tap is was disgusting. Now has a ball valve. If anyone searches and finds this thread as has an urn, take it apart and clean it or replace it asap!

Latest posts

Back