Sandpeoples Ahb Xmas Case 2005

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goat said:
Here's my effort....
[post="96649"][/post]​

Goat are you sure someone else hasn't been doing your homework for you?? :p :p

Looks great

Well the WA case swap is done and dusted. A small delay resulting from one case member being a bit late to arrive and then having to do some hurried labelling with not quite dry labels on arrival.

ausdblabels.jpg

But the overall standard of presentation was great, a big step up from last years case.

case1.jpg

A few case beers were previewed at the swap, and tasting mighty fine too. Well done to all participants. Its just a pity the bloke who invented the 2(n-1) formula couldnt work it out for himself and had to include 2 unlabelled beers in the case at the last minute.

case2.jpg

its an absolute credit to all state xmas case beer makers.the labels alone look unreal.one day hope to be a part of the events.

cheers
d

Guest Lurker said:
Its just a pity the bloke who invented the 2(n-1) formula couldnt work it out for himself and had to include 2 unlabelled beers in the case at the last minute.
[post="96853"][/post]​

I believe a penalty should be applied here under rule 14 subsection B clause 5 which states:
"Shitty handwritten labels are unacceptable for submissions to the Sandpeoples Christmas case 2005"

Or is that just a case of karma for me being late :p :p :p :p

Sorry i coulndt make it to the swap today alot to do before i go away.
Very much Looking forward to coming back from holidays in Jan and having a case of the finest craft beers to consume. :beerbang:

I made up my labels while I was away from my recipes so I kind of just made them up as I went along. There were a few errors which I thought I would clear up now.

Stockingfiller Pale Ale is not made out of a lovingly hand selected beer kit as the label might suggest. It was
1.5kg JW pils malt
250g Weyermann caramunich
250g honey
1.3kg DME
bittered with northern brewer
flavoured/aromaed with EKG
half a tab whirlfloc
Scottish Ale yeast

While I'm at it, I think I got the label for Bongwater Black completely wrong too by suggesting they were English hops, so here are the ingredients for that:
670g JW Traditional Pale Ale Malt
500g Hoepfner Rauchmalt
330g Weyermann Caramunich
200g JW Export Pils
Coopers Dark Ale kit
27g US cascade pellets 5.4% at flameout
Half a tablet of whirlfoc
Scottish Ale yeast.

Love my mixed grill carton. It looks lovely. One or two would help stave off the hangover that's just starting to kick in about now, but nothing's cold yet, so I might just have to have one of my own. But tomorrow I have to mow the lawn so Big Al's Maximus Swillus will go perfectly and then I'm away.

Well done sandgropers. Despite coming from the biggest State in the wide brown land, we managed to make this look easy again. Jeez we're good.

OK recipes and drinking advice:

Most people tried a sip of the upsized Demon Ale. It could do with a bit more age to smooth the alcohol and attenuate a little more. But it is carbonated and will lose that fruit salad hop character if left too long.

Details, recipe etc here

A fair few people also probably tried the ESB on tap, same as the case. I tried a bottle tonight, and I can taste a bit of priming sugar, not drinking nearly as well as the keg, a week or two at room temp would improve it.

Recipe and details here

big d said:
struth goat.mighty scary label.kinda like a pucker up before i kiss you pale ale. :ph34r:
or amorours goat lager.
[post="96708"][/post]​

pucker up before i kiss you... sounds like a good name for a pale with a high coho bitter hop.

Yeah - I reckon she'll be an even better kisser when she gets those braces off... :ph34r:

Thoroughly enjoying this year's case but was just wondering if people might list the yeasts used so we can do some propagating.

I used Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale yeast in both beers.

Amber has 1272 + S04 (emergeny backup)
Wit has 3944 although only three were bottle conditioned

Am enjoying the beers as well :beer:

deebee said:
Thoroughly enjoying this year's case but was just wondering if people might list the yeasts used so we can do some propagating.
[post="98262"][/post]​

Sorry there'll be no propogating from mine both were CPBF'd and had been conditioing for about 2 months so were pretty clear. Just for academic purposes I did use 1056 for each one. :)

Vlad the Pale Aler said:
Good old Thames Valley 1275 in mine.
[post="98266"][/post]​
ditto

beautiful yeast, lovely plumage!

ausdb said:
Sorry there'll be no propogating from mine both were CPBF'd and had been conditioing for about 2 months so were pretty clear. Just for academic purposes I did use 1056 for each one. :)
[post="98283"][/post]​

Lovely 'merican mild Darren, shame I didn't get the two bottles you thought I had :)

JasonY said:
Lovely 'merican mild Darren, shame I didn't get the two bottles you thought I had :)
[post="98303"][/post]​

Glad you liked it, next time I think less carafa when I cap the mash for the second runnings. I added 1kg of carahell and 100g of carafa I before I took the second runnings.

3944 in the half-wit

Got a couple of starters if you're interested Dave.... or anyone.

Les Chants des Maldoror:

first 2 months of ferment: Yeast recultured from Unibrou "Frigiante"
last 2 months of ferment: Yeast recultured from Hogaarden Grand Cru (500ml thick and creamy starter)

Case

Back