Sandpeoples Ahb Xmas Case 2005

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be brewing the Xmas case this weekend, IPA.

GL - I will take you up on the offer of some long necks. I need about 30, so if you can clean and sterilise them tonight you can drop them off to me tomorrow.

I am proceeding on the basis of 10 participants. Hence 18 longnecks from each of us. Not sure that 500ml qualifies as a longneck. Mine will all be 750ml. One thing is clear: no bermbs!

Shall we set a deadline for drop off or prevent dribs and drabs by having everyone collect at the one time?

Your call Mr Lurker.

Missed these posts as I have been away.

Captain Sensible says:

THE SANDPEOPLES CHRISTMAS CASE IS CLOSED.

There are 10 participants, you produce 18 longnecks.

Captain Sensible also says:

DROP OFF AND PICK UP IS ON SATURDAY 10 DECEMBER AT MY PLACE
COME ON THE DAY OR GET YOUR BEER TO ME BEFOREHAND IF YOU CANT MAKE IT
(Unless we get agreement on a better date - when is Hoops back in the West?) Will pm address closer to date.

Captain Sensible also notes:

NO BACKING OUT. YOU ARE NOW COMMITTED TO PRODUCING THE GOODS.

Vlad, I have finished sterilising your bottles, just let me know what colour you want the labels. Actually, do you want me to put beer in them as well? (Drop me a note when you need them, they are cleaned, crated and have foil over the necks to keep greeblies out).

As I shall be in Prague by 3rd. Dec, I can only wish you fellas well. But think of me as I wrap my thin dehydrated lips around a Velkopopovichy Kozel as I trudge thru the snow.
As "Kozel" means "Old Goat", I shall have to smuggle one back since I know one.

Have a good trip Tony. I guess this means I have to talk Fleur into doing the chicken wings for the case swap day.

Just a quick question on bottling here

My contributions willl be force carbonated and counter pressure filled, is it better to leave filling my longnecks until just before the 10th and leave it in a keg till then or would it be OK to CPBF'd them now?

My contribution will be the results of my experiment in partigyling for you to enjoy! (hopefully)
1st runnings are an American India Red Ale, just think a red ale with over the top American hopping.
2nd runnings I capped the mash and turned out a Merrican Mild, just think a Rogers'y styled amber/brown ale.

I am working on my labels at the moment

Cheers ausdb

Ausdb - what manner of CP filler do you have? I'm thinking of making/buying one.

ausdb said:
Just a quick question on bottling here

My contributions willl be force carbonated and counter pressure filled, is it better to leave filling my longnecks until just before the 10th and leave it in a keg till then or would it be OK to CPBF'd them now?

Cheers ausdb
[post="86668"][/post]​

Depends if you are any good at it. If you think there is any chance of introducing oxidation, better to fill closer to the time. I just tried a pale ale I bottled using a Blichman beer gun 2 weeks ago. Great level of carbonation, no problems there, but I definitely taste a hint of diacetyl that wasnt there before, despite flooding with CO2 during the transfer.

Goat said:
Ausdb - what manner of CP filler do you have? I'm thinking of making/buying one.
[post="86703"][/post]​

Mr Goat
I think Darryns is a patented one off construction. I have a commercial cpbf which came with the second hand kegging gear I bought. You are welcome to borrow it for ever if you want to try to work out how the hell it works. It has about four tubes entering the fill head. After a couple of trials I like the Blichman beer gun for short term bottle transfers, its pretty easy to use, but for anything long term I plan to bottle prime.

Did a double brew day today, one or both will be my Christmas case beers.

Thanks Capt'n - I might take you up on the offer. I think I will have to engage a Hydrologist or something to help me work it all out.

I guess one of the major reasons for the CPF would be to bottle the Chrissy pack

Guest Lurker said:
Mr Goat
I think Darryns is a patented one off construction. I have a commercial cpbf which came with the second hand kegging gear I bought. You are welcome to borrow it for ever if you want to try to work out how the hell it works. It has about four tubes entering the fill head. After a couple of trials I like the Blichman beer gun for short term bottle transfers, its pretty easy to use, but for anything long term I plan to bottle prime.
[post="86713"][/post]​

Thanks Capn you are correct it is another patented 'No Idea Brewing Inc' item where our motto is:

If you can buy it from the shop thats great
If you can make it at home thats even better
If you can make it at home and make it look half assed thats PRICELESS :party:

But as you asked here it is
Poor_mans_CPBF_sml.jpg

How does it work you ask?
The picnic tap is connected to a a beer line from your chosen keg
The bottom tube is stuffed into your bottle so the stopper seals at the top of the bottle (note the stopper can be slid up and down to suit the size bottle you are filling)
The brass thingy attached to the stopper is the guts out of a tyre valve, which has a small piece of brass tubing silver soldered to it so it goes through the stopper into the neck of the bottle

You need 1 more item to make it work as a counter pressure filler, a spare CO2 line which you attach a tyre inflator to. The type like the ones at the servo which seal off when they are removed from holding them on the valve.

Once the filler is inserted into the bottle you give it squirt of CO2 into the valve whilst allowing a little bit of gas to escape past the stopper to purge the bottle. Then hold the stopper firmly into the bottle and pressurise it with CO2, take the CO2 off and the bottle stays pressurised while you keep pushing the stopper into the bottle. Then use your free hand to flick the pcinic tap on fully, a little bit of beer will flow into the bottle but not much. To fill the bottle you just relieve pressure out of the bottle by poking the pin of the valve with your thumbnail until the bottle is full to the desired level. Then flick the tap off, pull the filler out of the bottle and quickly cap it.

It sounds complicated but is really easy to do once you get the hang of it, no hydrologists degree is required to operate a simple bachelor of social science is entirely adequate :p and it is a true counter pressure filler. I will be honest and admit that I didn't dream it up entirely off my own bat, I got inspiration from a few sites on the net.

You are also welcome to borrow it to try or or I can help you make one.

Cheers ausdb

Brilliant!
If you decide to go into production, I definitely want one.

Since its show and tell this morning, this is how I solved the "third hand " problem. I mounted everything onto a $10.00 chinese F clamp

Picture_5.jpg

'tis a thing of beauty Ausdb !

nice adaptation too TonyM.

On the pressurisation of the bottle issue. Would it be possible to just use the picnic tap but instead of comnnecting it to the beer (out) post, connect it to the gas (in) post on the keg thus equalising the pressure between the bottle and the keg. When that is done, one could just re-connect to the beer post and re-attach the gas post to the keg from the co2 cylinder and then release the valve to fill the bottle ?

Goat said:
'tis a thing of beauty Ausdb !

nice adaptation too TonyM.

On the pressurisation of the bottle issue. Would it be possible to just use the picnic tap but instead of comnnecting it to the beer (out) post, connect it to the gas (in) post on the keg thus equalising the pressure between the bottle and the keg. When that is done, one could just re-connect to the beer post and re-attach the gas post to the keg from the co2 cylinder and then release the valve to fill the bottle ?
[post="87194"][/post]​

How many hands have you got Goat, is Reuben involved in this somewhere or do you have pre-hensile toes?

Goat said:
[post="87194"][/post]​

The in and out posts are slightly different sizes, one way they are not interchangeable. Also you would be filling and emptying the transfer line constantly I'm not sure how that would work.

I will try and take some photo's of it in action as its not that hard to operate.

Tonym very nice setup there!

Not quite Capt....

Thanks Darryn, sounds like you are talking from experience there - it was just an idle thought.

So my Chrissie entry is carbonated and drinking quite alright for 9 days in the bottle: a smoky dark ale I have christened Bongwater Black.

For anyone who left anything behind at the Sandgroptoberfest, I will bring it along to Simon's on the 10th...

3 jugs
Case's directors chair
Vlad's swing top bottle
anything else?

Ive got an all cascade hopped rice lager 'Swillus Maximus' ready for a hard earned thirst after the cricket pitch in the backyard has been mowed. It will be CP filled so you can get it out of the fridge and skull the whole bottle :D

Bongwater Black, love the name Deebee, hope the taste has no resemblance. :eek:

Latest posts

Back