Sandgroptoberfest

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My travel plans are firming up and it looks like I am definitely here. Still havent brewed a fest, so it looks like I'll be bringing a different beer, should have the new portable party keg dispenser finished for its debut. Mrs GL has another engagement, so I am only sewing up one pair of lederhosen at the moment.

Providing I catch up with deebee in Adelaide I will give him a bottle of my "fest" to take back with him so I can then be there in spirit :party:

C&B
TDA

Can't wait !

not sure if swmbo and son of swmbo will be attending just yet... (are offspring invited?)

No problems TDA, I can carry back a bottle and add to the fun.

Goat, bring the young fellar along if you want. I think my youngest three (5,7,11) will be around. If it's not raining they can run around in the park and we can watch them from the back yard or run around with them in our lederhosen.

GL, probably best not to cut the arse cheeks out of those lederhosen.

Vlad the Pale Aler said:
WOOHOO!! :beer:
[post="73913"][/post]​
Vlad, was that a comment about the lederhosen? Frankly I'm dissapointed about the whole lack of lederhosen at this stage.

Just had an idea, if someone brings along 2 bottles of LCPA, i'll bring along two bottles of SNPA. Can do a blind tasting?....

Maybe someone can bring a skunk fart style APA along too?...

deebee said:
I have tentatively settled on 24 September for the Sandgroptoberfest even though it is AFL grand final day.

I will make a television available for watching the game, but as Asher pointed out on the weekend, he had a brewday on GF day last year and we spent more time talking beer than watching the game.
[post="67797"][/post]​
The way it should be B)

Sounds like it will be a really great day for you sandgropers!
With blind comparisons of SFPA v SNPA v LCPA and Fosters v Crown + heaps of HB :party: I think my trip to Perth is going to be 2 months too late :(

Hoops

Hoops said:
deebee said:
I have tentatively settled on 24 September for the Sandgroptoberfest even though it is AFL grand final day.

I will make a television available for watching the game, but as Asher pointed out on the weekend, he had a brewday on GF day last year and we spent more time talking beer than watching the game.
[post="67797"][/post]​
The way it should be B)

Sounds like it will be a really great day for you sandgropers!
With blind comparisons of SFPA v SNPA v LCPA and Fosters v Crown + heaps of HB :party: I think my trip to Perth is going to be 2 months too late :(

Hoops
[post="74018"][/post]​

Or perhaps one in sunny Queensland as well?

Double as a yeast swap?

Batz

kook said:

I have one kegged at the moment for a party, I will try and swipe a PET full to bring along. The party goers shouldn't notice :)

[post="74018"][/post]​
[/quote]

Or perhaps one in sunny Queensland as well?

Double as a yeast swap?

Batz
[post="74021"][/post]​
[/quote]

Doesn't sound too bad

Cane toadberfest

but the local one here wouldbe sus

Cockroaberfest :huh:

kook said:
Just had an idea, if someone brings along 2 bottles of LCPA, i'll bring along two bottles of SNPA. Can do a blind tasting?....

[post="74015"][/post]​

I'll be bringing a SFPA as I don't think my oktofest is going to be ready (not brewed yet, but there's hope on Sunday!!)

Ausdb

Doesn't sound too bad

Cane toadberfest

Brilliant Linz !

Cane Toadberfest ! :lol:

This will become a Batz label

Cheers :beerbang:

Batz

kook said:

[post="74015"][/post]​

Kook

This might sound weird. Have you got room for another bottle? Would be interested in a LCPA bought from Sainsburys, to taste against bottles sold here. Given how different the bottle here is to the bright tank in Freo, I would be interested to see if the Poms are getting something a bit stale.

Can we have a quick show of hands please so I can get a grip on numbers before I head off to Adelaide next week?

You are welcome to bring along significant others and offspring, just tell me:
1. Who's coming and will there be any non-sausage eaters?
2. Who's tasting beer and requires a comments sheet made up for them?
3. Will there be any Eagles supporters we need to quarantine :lol: ?

Also please let me know whether you are able to bring a jug.

cheers
db

Hiya deebs...

Gave the 'songs of lurve' CD a good working over in the car between brewery's down south....

1 - Lou & Myself are both looking forward to it... She eats sausages too! (No that's not why I married here ;) )

2- Comment sheets for both of us would be good. Feedback from someone who likes beer but knows little about it can be useful sometimes....

3- A telly in the background would be good for a score check.....

Managed to bottle a couple of litres of my Oktoberfest for the taste-off before the keg ran dry... What is the plan of attack for the taste off?

Asher for now

1) Yep I shall be there, getting home will be my usual challenge.

2) If we are witing comments down then I will need a sheet :)

3) Go the eagles (provided they get to the final ;) )

Don't have any octoberfest but have some pils to bring along ... not the same but its better than nothin. May have some belgian to bring also.

The plan is that everyone gets a pad of comments sheets set out in an intelligent fashion (may need some help here). I arrange the beers roughly by colour and we start light and move dark. Each beer is poured into jugs in another room and brought out with nothing but a number and possibly a style category. Taste it and put your comments on the sheet. (Im tending against using scores but comments would be useful for the brewers.) If you taste your own beer, beer-tasting etiquette would suggest you dont tell anyone its yours just yet. Turn the page and well do it again with another beer. For the comments sheet I was thinking of nothing more complicated than four headings: Appearance, aroma, taste and drinkability, but I am open to suggestions here especially from anyone who has done this before.

Guest Lurker has volunteered to bring a keg of soda water for palate cleansing between beers. Great idea.

At the end of the session if you can still write, select your three favourite beers, maybe awarding 3, 2 and 1 points and Ill get out the calculator, reveal whose beers bore which numbers and award a Simpson Medal and maybe runners up. Finally, we will tear apart our pads so everyone gets to take home the comments pertaining to their brew(s). Then we will face the challenge of emptying Guest Lurkers wheely bin porta-keg so that he can hitch it to the back of his bike and pedal home.

Special events will include a triangular taste test of Crown Lager and Fosters Lager. Sets of three glasses will be presented: two glasses of one, one glass of the other. See if you can pick them apart. See if you can tell which is the boutique beer. See if you can swallow it. It looks like there may also be a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale v. Little Creatures Pale Ale taste off and maybe even a London LCPA v. Freo LCPA showdown: is fresh really best?

Somewhere in there I will point someone who looks bored toward the barby with some tongs and snags. I will provide snags, buns, condiments and a salad. Please bring your favourite beer nibbly.

So will everyone please tell me:
How many are coming?
How many are tasting?
How many beers you will be bringing for tasting?
Do you have any prizes to donate for the Simpson Medal?
Can you bring a jug?
Can you cook a snag?

Geez deebee too many questions!

So will everyone please tell me:
How many are coming?
me=ausdb, I think mrs ausdb is working

How many are tasting?

How many beers you will be bringing for tasting?
The ba$tards at the bucks party last week drank both kegs of my SFPA so theres none left, maybe I'll have something but it wont be an oktoberfest. Out of the kindness of their hearts that gave me what was left of the beez neez they made at ubrewit so I will bring it for comments

Do you have any prizes to donate for the Simpson Medal?
A dodgy plastic tap I got off ebay (Barfridge hopefully your beers good and you win!)

Can you bring a jug?
Yes, must remember to get it off my mates

Can you cook a snag?
Depends if you class burnt to a crisp cooked or not!

Cheers ausdb

Latest posts

Back