Sandgroper Meeting ~dec 07?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GL Enterprises lives on ;)

Cheers! If 'er in doors isnt too keen on being taxi im sure myself and Roger Mellie (who is in Mandurah) will be able to russle something up?
Steve

Steve and Roger M. I could come up from margaret River, park at a friends house in secret harbour and hitch a ride to the case swap with you guys?will bring some flowers for the driver :rolleyes:
can stay the nite in Secret Harbour and drive back the next day.that would solve my dilemma to attend the case swap and make me very happy!

any chance????

extra bottle for Ant and 10 bucks no problem,

cheers amita

Hi Ant,
anychance of Alesmith old numbskull or Speedway stout in place of the Trios Pistoles?

Hey Tony M
Any chance you can bring a couple of bottles of Czech highlights back with you too?

sevilles_009.jpg
fellow sandgropers,

I have discovered today an orchard with 80 trees of seville oranges!! have bought a few kilos to make peel for my beer.
I am happy to make some batches of peel for those who are interested and will take them up to perth for the case swap.
Im sorry to put it up here but the reason is that I dont have the time to do it for all who might be interested, appologies !!
so included some shots of what to expect.
1 kilo of oranges gives around 75 grams of undried peel.
I can dry it for you as long as I have the woodoven going, otherwise it will be air-dried.
it cost me $3 per kilo and I expect payment at the case swap and a bottle of your finest :p
for those who want bulk, your happy to come down to margs and buy bulk and have a few here.

let me know if you are interested, offer ends by the end of the week, sat nov 3

cheers Amita

QUOTE SINKAS
"Hey Tony M, Any chance you can bring a couple of bottles of Czech highlights back with you too?"

There may have been traces of Czech beer in my urine Case, but all I bought back was Scotch.

They have Kozel Dark at my local if you need to re-balance the levels Tony

Nice work Ant. I have definitely had Trois Pistoles from the IBS here.

These things can get a bit disorganised with money collection, drivers/non drivers, I had a big one, he had a small one, blah blah, and I would hate for you to end up out of pocket. At the risk of being labelled Captain Sensible (oh yeah I already have), if you work out a number I would happily pay that up front to you, recoup some on the day, then with any leftover bottles, set up a beer stall on the verge outside IBS and recoup the rest.
Selling things for profit? I demand you get yourself a 'retailer' tag immediately. We can't have upstart amateurs like yourself competing with the big boys, they're only in business to help us, and you're not helping them.

PS. I'd love some samples of American beers, and am more than willing to chip in some funds (and some beers if you're silly enough to want mine).

For ideas of what to buy, consult ratebeer: http://www.ratebeer.com/RateBeerBest/table...a_beer_2007.csv

I'm more than happy to pitch in $10 for the opportunity to taste some of these :) . The Bigfoot is something I would love to try !
Good on ya Ant !
Cheers
Doug

I havent been online much of late but stumbled onto this thread..........Sounds tip top Ant.

If you can source any of the New Belgium Brewery beers that would be great but otherwise I am keen to sample whatevers available - thanks in advance.

BTW - I'll bring you some beer to cover my annual fridge rental fees.
:beer:

Well I have a chauffeur for the day. Last night I mentioned in passing an invite i'd received to attend a "formal" gathering of WA brewers. I quickly followed withan absolute corker....."maybe you could do some last minute Christmas shopping in Perth?" "Ohhhh thats a good idea" came the reply, "I can drive you to Bayswater and then pick you up when I'm done around dinner time'ish."

Cheers
Steve

Ant, it's worth picking up some of those styrofoam wine shipping boxes. They hold bombers perfect. I took back two (24 bottles total) on my way back from the US.

One quick tip, make a list of the beers (itemised) with their volume and ABV. It makes it so much easier for customs to calculate, they can just plug it all into the computer without having to take out every bottle etc. It cost me about $60 if I remember correctly.

I've tasted most of the beers mentioned so will abstain so others can try :) I do have a bottle of La Face Cache de la Pomme Neige that i've been saving for a special event so I'll bring that along though! It's a Canadian ice cider (uses techniques similar to an eisbock) and was for a long time the top rated cider on Ratebeer.

edit - Also worth noting that the IBS is intending to have some of the Great Divide beers in stock soon according to their last email. I haven't spoken to them, but I'm presuming these have come through Denmark.

Sinkas- doing what I can to add Alesmith gear to my wants list... but they really struggle to get Cali beers into Texas. Will definitely have to do a trip to stock up before my next return (May 08 and Nov/Dec 08).

Kook - good idea about the styrofoam cases - have already got a couple, and have a spreadheet with all the volumes, unit cost, ABV, duty, GST calcs etc already in it. Customs should just have to inspect and rubber stamp. I saw that the IBS were getting in Great Divide, but not the Oak Aged Yeti; maybe still worth a go? Given your enormous breadth of tasting experience over here, what would be your call in selecting 6 beers that typify the US micro scene?

Picked up 4 of the Allagash Tripel Reserve today, cos there were only 6 bottles available in Houston (apparently...), and also managed to score 4 bottles of Bear Republic's Racer 5 IPA. Thinking this should make the list; I haven't met anyone who didn't like it.

Thanks for those who have offered a bottle - I'm in Perth till ~8-9/Jan, so will be more than happy to take one off your hands. Looking forward to sharing some of this stuff; should be a good afternoon.

Kook - what would be your call in selecting 6 beers that typify the US micro scene?

I think you're doing pretty well there already! Some awesome beers on the list there. I'd still stick with the oaked yeti, as they only get limited amounts of that into Denmark (so I presume they'd be reluctuant to then sell it on).

Given the limited availability of rare stuff in TX, I'd stick with what you've got. Maybe even throw something local in? Do St Arnold do anything in bombers? Maybe even a Bear Republic Red Rocket to add a nice amber ale to the other IPAs.

OK, so this time round, I've ended up with 4 bombers of each of the following:
- Stone Arrogant *******
- Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout
- Rogue Dead Guy Ale
- Allagash Reserve Tripel
- Avery Hog Heaven Barley Wine
- Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA

So, maybe a tripel to start with some Belgium-ish goodness, a maibock to malt it up a bit, 2 IPA's to make you fall in love with humulones, a hoppy barley wine (100 IBU!!!) and an oak aged imperial stout to finish. Though not sure we'll be able to taste the "delicate oak" after 100+ IBU (selective use of quotes here, nothing is delicate about US micro's). Maybe we should have it before the IPA's?

Apologies for those who have requested items not on the list - but I'll try to get to them. Some are just not available at all in Texas (Russian River), others only available in 12 oz bottles (ie Fat Tire), some you just have to be in the right place at the right time (ie Bigfoot). And St Arnold don't do bombers.

Am already planning my next lot. Doing a roadtrip next March which will conveniently take me through San Diego (small 500 mile dogleg out of the way), and will ensure I pick up/order Russian River while I'm there, look for some Alesmith Speedway Stout, visit Stone to pick up some RIS, Ruination, etc. Have also lined up an order of Alaskan Smoked Porter, Avery 14th Anniversary, Hair of the Dog Adam, Alesmith Old Numbskull, Ruination for delivery ~Feb 08. Not the cheapest way to do it, but don't know how else to get stuff like Alaskan for example. Maybe keep them for a tasting when I'm back Dec 08 or mid-09? For my next trip back to Perth May 08, I'll have to travel light, so can only bring a case, I thought maybe some 11 oz bottles could be the go:
- Sam Adams Imperial Pilsener
- North Coast Old Rasputin RIS
- Hair of the Dog Adam
- New Belgium Fat Tire Amber

Again - thoughts on these appreciated. If you could only try 4 types in 11 oz bottles, what would they be?

Looking forward to being home and having a beer with you guys... note that all of these beers are heavy; plan for a driver!

Looks like its going to be an exciting day Ant. It is a real bummer I can only drop in for a short time before I dash of to an enthralling day with the rellies in law.

Tony, all I can say is that it doesn't take *that* long to drink a longnecks worth of beer... and I am led to understand that most SWMBO love it when you are already primed and in the Christmas spirit. :beerbang:

Latest posts

Back