Sandgroper Meeting ~dec 07?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ant

Reaction score
Back in August, I posted the following:
"...a micro tasting for the Perthites come December - I've checked with Customs, and getting 24 longnecks won't actually cost me that much in duty and GST to get back into Australia. I'm thinking if you guys can agree on say a dozen beers you really want to try (and I can get them here), I'll bring two longnecks of each back for a Chrissy bash".

I haven't heard a peep out of any Perthites. Is there any interest in this? Do any of you guys want to taste some of these beers you can't get through the IBS? Would you be interested in tasting the originals of some clone recipes you see in BYO, etc? Arrogant *******? Sam Adams Imperial Pilsener? Great Divide Hercules Double IPA? As Trent has posted previously - these guys are all over some styles, particularly pale ales and anything with the word "imperial" in it.

Maybe could be tied to the Chrissy Case exchange day?

I'm not fussed one way or the other, coming back for a few weeks with a 5 month old I'll have more than enough freight, just thought it would be a good opportunity for some of you to try some different stuff.

Beers,
Ant

I reckon you'd be a pretty popular guy at the case swap. Incidently, I would try anything.
Its midnight in praha and I've just knocked off a Primator Double (10% and thicker than treacle) and a Primator Weisenbier that is a wheat that almost makes me like them, so Goodnight.

Hi Ant - great idea. I'm keen. The Arogant ******* that I tasted a year or so ago at DeeBee's was bloody amazing

(thats provided that its not as big a hassle for you that I suspect it might be !)

- thought you had been a bit quiet of late Tony, living the high life in Prague again - good work !

Sorry Ant for forgetting about this, sounds like a great idea to have it at the case swap day I might even happen to make it on time for once (note to the smart a$$es I wasn't the last one to arrive lat year and my beers were all labelled)

I would be happy to taste anything you planned to bring but would like to possibly request a Ruination IPA I have tasted it twice the 1st time was fantastic and the second time was a pale shadow of the 1st all I could think was the beer hadn't travelled well.

Cheers and thanks again for the offer

Have it on paper from Customs what I need to do, declare, etc, and should be able to get work to pay for the freight, as I'm coming back "on business". In terms of finding a beer - the local is doing all sorts of special orders for me at the moment, because I've been talking to them enthusiastically about beer. Stuff like AB is available everywhere - it's in the local supermarket for $3.20 for a longneck, so maybe at the next WCB meet come up with a list of stuff you want to try, and I'll see what I can do. The link in the post above will show you photos of gear that's readily available here.

Ausdb - haven't seen a Ruination in the flesh here (yet), but will see what I can do.

Hey Ant

Very generous offfer. The case swap will be at my place in Bayswater either on weekend of 15 Dec or weekend of 22 Dec.

I do enough travelling to know that the hassle isnt who pays the freight, the hassle is dragging this shit from conveyor to conveyor. So I reckon if you could bring a few bottles rather than a couple of cases that would be great. Also, rather than bringing a whole range of beers, can I sugest a few bottles of a couple of beers? When this has happened before (Usually when Kook travels), 20 guys share a thimble each of beer, and the last guys get thimbles of yeast. So with 20 or so guys at the swap, a few bottles of the same beer would be better so people get a proper taste each.

In terms of what beers, how about a couple that really typify American styles. Maybe an AIIPA, like Arrogant, or maybe there is something better, and maybe an American Brown as I would be interested how one is supposed to taste?

How long will you be in Perth and how much beer can you drink while you are here? I am sure those of the guys who have extra would happily bring another bottle of their case contribution for you in return for your trouble, if you are going to be around long enough to drink them.

Ooo, this sounds good. Definitely on board with Simon's suggestions, an extra case bottle shouldn't be a drama, or I'll find something worth drinking :)
Also agree the couple of bottles of each idea.

Trying to think of the brands I keep hearing on the BN podcasts. 21st Ammendment IPA, Russian River Pliny the Elder. Some vintage American Barleywine would be cool, keen to try brewing one of those soon, from the guidelines maybe Sierra Nevada Bigfoot, Avery Hog Heaven Barleywine, Bell's Third Coast Old Ale, Weyerbacher Blithering Idiot. They've got some cool names.

Hi Ant
Fat tyre, Ruination ,Pliny, Bigfoot, any of the new Belgians from Russian River, Allagash, Ommegang.
In fact anything that you are kind enough to bring along, I second the call for an extra bottle in the Xmas case.

Over to you Kook.

Chaps im going to be in Perth (Golden Bay - near Mandurah) from 19th December....if the swap is on the 22nd I would love to pop along for an ale or two or 10?
Cheers
Steve

That's not Perth.....that's North Bunbury !
Don't see any issue with you coming along, if you want to make the drive :D. The captain hasn't confirmed the swap date yet though, stay tuned !

ausdb said:
(note to the smart a$$es I wasn't the last one to arrive lat year.....
ahhh, oops. I think that was me! :rolleyes:

mika_lika said:
That's not Perth.....that's North Bunbury !
LOL mika.
Steve... prob. 1 to 1.5 hour's drive on a weekend to get to GL's.

ahhh, oops. I think that was me! :rolleyes:
LOL mika.
Steve... prob. 1 to 1.5 hour's drive on a weekend to get to GL's.

wots an hour or twos drive( for the missus)? - im keen - i'll be on holiday :chug:

The case swap will be on 22 December. Ant will be guest of honour. When I send out PMs, I will send one to you as well Steve, make sure you have a conscripted driver, and she would be welcome to be there as well, Mrs GL will be there and there are usually a few SWMBOs along on the day.

Cheers! If 'er in doors isnt too keen on being taxi im sure myself and Roger Mellie (who is in Mandurah) will be able to russle something up?
Steve

If there needs to be a monetary contribution to facilitate this part of the event, Im happy to oblige.

So I've tried hunting down some beers, and following GL's suggestion, and will look at bringing 4 longnecks each of 6 beers.

Ruination and/or Pliny are not available in Texas, and speaking to distributors and the breweries themselves, they won't ship them either (they have some seriously stupid liquor laws here). I can't for the life of me understand why they would let some Stone beers in and not others, but there you go. I'll try organise a swap for these with someone on BeerAdvocate, but it may not be a goer. Maybe I'll organise to go through Cali before I'm back next time and pick them up then.

So the beers I was going to suggest to pick half a dozen from:
- Stone Arrogant ******* (have to try the flagship beer!)
- Stone IPA (better balanced than AB IMO)
- Great Divide Hercules DIPA (serious kick)
- Great Divide Yeti Imperial Stout (also comes oak aged)
- New Belgium Fat Tire (another flagship brew)
- Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine (have pre-orders in for release due in next few weeks)
- Rogue Dead Guy Ale (Maibock - interesting style)
- Unibroue Trois Pistoles (beautiful beer)
- Allagash Reserve Tripel (another fine beer)

Depending on what you guys come up with will depend how much it costs (Allagash for example have bombers for US$17 each - nice beers, but geez...), but if it works out pretty pricey, maybe up to $10 from those who want to put in would be good.

Hi Ant - good work !

Last time I looked the Unibroue range (including Trois Pistoles) is readily available here so I wouldn't worry about that one (better chekc that though). Most of the rest are a mystery to me... But if they are like the outrageously big and bitter ones we've tried before, we are in for a treat.

Obviously I can't speak for everyone here, but from my opinion $10 is nothing for a sample of these beers. I was thinking two or three times that.

LT

Sounds good Ant, pity about Pliny and Ruination, stoopid Yanks !
I can get most of the Unibroue range from the local shop as well, though looking thru the collection Muadite's the only one I've tried thus far.

As Goat said, $10 ?....nothing...

Great stuff. Hadn't seen this thread till now, but I am definitely in for $10 and an extra bottle for ant. Also good to have out-of towner Steve drop in from Canberra. Looking fwd to this one.

(Now I suppose I'd better actually produce some beer for the occasion.)

DB

Nice work Ant. I have definitely had Trois Pistoles from the IBS here.

These things can get a bit disorganised with money collection, drivers/non drivers, I had a big one, he had a small one, blah blah, and I would hate for you to end up out of pocket. At the risk of being labelled Captain Sensible (oh yeah I already have), if you work out a number I would happily pay that up front to you, recoup some on the day, then with any leftover bottles, set up a beer stall on the verge outside IBS and recoup the rest.

Latest posts

Back