San Fran

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been to SF 3 times, love it, thinking about maybe heading back in Jan again.

Good things:
  • hire a bike from (the overtly touristy and shitty) wharf, and ride over the Golden Gate bridge - into Sausalito, and you can hop on the ferry back over the bay. It's the best thing I've ever done in San Fran, and a great way to experience the bridge.
  • The Haight. Somebody here said they didn't like it, I do - but I'm a bit of a fan of the history of an area, and the 60's in general. Last time I was in the Haight there was a bloke pulling a bong right outside of Amoeba... aaaah, Frisco! Golden Gate park is also down that neck o' the woods. We tried to go to Magnolia bar in the Haight, as it's supposedly good for beer... placed looked good, service was shithouse - so we left unserved.
  • Alcatraz. I did the night tour, it was awesome - but cold (I went in Jan).
  • cruise around downtown, San Fran is an awesome place - great people, you'll have a ball!

The Haight. Somebody here said they didn't like it, I do - but I'm a bit of a fan of the history of an area, and the 60's in general. Last time I was in the Haight there was a bloke pulling a bong right outside of Amoeba... aaaah, Frisco!
One thing I will certainly remember about SF is the smell of dope smoke. It's everywhere and everyone just turns a blind eye. Almost as prevalent as the homeless people. I had never seen anything like it. Apparently the high level of homelessness is because it is one of the only places you can claim welfare without a fixed address (a P.O. Box suffices). I heard it was also because of the 'mild' climate but it is a fairly cold place - not cold enough to freeze to death though, like NY, Chicago, Boston, Detroit, etc.

Cali laws are generally pretty relaxed when it comes to weed, and this is particularly prevalent in San Francisco.

Hardly surprising when you consider this is largely where the hippie movement began.

I remember reading of the back of the SF weekly classified ads for firms where you go and pay only $39.99 for a consultation with a doctor and walk out with your medi marijuana licence. Was the same in Portland, classifieds of the local paper was full of companies offering this service.

Yes, lots of homeless but a great place.

Redwood forest via Sausalito.

Clam Chowder at Fishermans Wharf.

Segway tours through the streets.

Many boys holding hands with boys.

If you like you music bluesy, then head to Biscuit and Blues of Union Square......awesome place, just awesome.

I've just spent the last four days in SF and can provide a few updates of the beer front. Mikkeller Bar has opened and has a very nice selection - mad pricy though. They have a sour room in the basement too dedicated to, wait for it...sour beer. Toronado rocks...divey beer bar with cheap pints..heaps of good beer and always fresh Pliny on tap - $4 pints during happy hour! Bring in food from wherever you like. City Beer and Healthy Spirits are awesome bottle shops to bring beers back with you.

I seriously recommend getting over to Oakland centre though - only 15 mins by BART and check out The Trappist - beautiful beers on tap - many Farmhouse Ales and sours and Belgian styles naturally. Amazing bottle selection too...worth splurging yourself here. Crackin' pub.

Yep just get lost and you'll discover many gems. Great people, awesome food. Wicked city.

Yeah, the Trappist is great (even for someone who isn't a big fan of Belgians like me (they share a border with the Dutch)) but...uh...I'm not sure how much of a fun, family day trip heading into Oak-Town might be.

For the benefit of anyone who finds this thread looking for Oakland beer locations, Beer Revolution is an amazing, tiny place with 30 taps of craft. Place is tiny but busy so they turn over the taps really fast. Been there three times in the last week and a bit (most recent was last night) and almost the entire list has changed from my first visit. Pretty great wall of fridges for take-aways too (though these are not cheap at all).

bum said:
For the benefit of anyone who finds this thread looking for Oakland beer locations, Beer Revolution is an amazing, tiny place with 30 taps of craft. Place is tiny but busy so they turn over the taps really fast. Been there three times in the last week and a bit (most recent was last night) and almost the entire list has changed from my first visit. Pretty great wall of fridges for take-aways too (though these are not cheap at all).
I'd be interested to hear your strategy.
Multiple sampler paddles? Thimble sized glasses? Spittoon? Ascending scale of ABV?

My flickering memories of Shanghai Kelly's, Nob Hill would suggest if so long as you are generally jocular, upright and tipping, you will continue to get service.
So relying on friendly staff to let you know when you've had enough may not be the best policy.

Well, the key is not caring when enough is enough. Been getting pretty messy, to be honest.

The plan of attack was generally to work out which ones I could least live without trying. Also took a few tips from the barstaff. They didn't do flights, unfortunately.

Cycle to Tiburon and catch the ferry back. Deschuttes Black Butte Porter on the ferry.

Go to the baseball. AT&T Park is a pretty park. And has good beer on tap also. Go to the can bar at 21st Amendment on game day, not only their own cans on ice, but other craft beers in cans too. I remember having at least a Moose Drool before the game.

Book ahead and do the Anchor Brewery tour.

Find a seafood restaurant down at the wharf. They all look pretty good.

Get scared by the Tree Man, and tip him.

bum said:

Beer revolution is a fantastic beer bar and well worth the effort to get to. You can get the BART and it's about a 10 block walk, no hills from memory. My other 2 favourite bars are Monks Kettle and Toronado. 21st Amdenment is more of a restaurant than a pub and it's not too far from the baseball. If you're feeling particularly adventurous you can head north - Lagunitas, Russian River, Bear Republic and Anderson Valley (much better beer than the grey imports we get here) brewery's are all within about one and a half hours drive. Sonoma county has a lot of vineyards and they hand out free tastings for other wineries (in the US you usually pay for that shit). Pretty countryside too, it reminded me of the Rhone Valley. North Coast at Fort Bragg is a pretty drive but don't stay at Fort Bragg, it's a ******* dump.

If you plan a trip to Alcatraz make sure you book at least days early.

OK, so just got back after a couple of weeks in the Bay area. Gees, I think the liver needs a break.

Tips:

1. Give Pier 39 a miss.
2. Best beer store ever http://newstarell.com/ (two blocks from where I was staying). Gave it my best shot at working through every Luganitas beer currently brewed.
3. Best ribs ever http://www.southpawbbqsf.com/ and great beers brewed on site.
4. Cool concept, but there draft beers were a bit iffy http://cerveceriasf.com/

Would have loved to have got to Abbots Celler but ran out of time. Only thing I missed out on was trying a Russian River Pliny. That shit is hard to find. Actually spent a little time in Canada as well. The Red Racer IPA by Central City Brewing is bloody awesome.

Latest posts

Back