Saison Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Tony,

When you use Bourghul, do you cook it or anything before it goes into the mash? I take it, that it is roughly equivalent to using unmalted wheat.

T.

drtomc bourghul is pre-cooked (steamed) cracked wheat. I've used it at amounts approaching 30% with no pre-cooking and no worries. Good to go straight in the mash.

Edit: It comes in coarse and fine grind. Fine is more workable.

Warren -

WHat Warren said.

I actually got the idea from his recipe.

I had no probled with it just strait in the mash. I actually experienced higher than normal efficiency on the 2 ocasions i have used it

Mine got infected and i lost the batch but im very seriously considering another crack at it. It can slide closet and closer to the fire place down stairs as it ferments.

cheers

drtomc bourghul is pre-cooked (steamed) cracked wheat. I've used it at amounts approaching 30% with no pre-cooking and no worries. Good to go straight in the mash.

Edit: It comes in coarse and fine grind. Fine is more workable.

Warren -

Ah yes, I'm just realizing that when I make tabouleh, I just steep it in hot water.

I guess the attraction of it vs some other wheat source is that it's readily available in bulk at the middle eastern grocer down the road.

T.

I finally got round to do my Saison last weekend and after a few problems and loosing some wort to the walls and ceiling, :blink: thats another story ahem, I managed to dump into the fermenter on Monday.
this is what I brewed

Ingredients
6.50 kg Pilsner,
0.35 kgMunich, Light
0.35 kgWheat Malt,
45.00 gm Styrian Goldings
35.00 gm Styrian Goldings
20.00 gm Styrian Goldings

WLP 565 Belgian Saison 1

Now since it is kinda cold I have put a belt on the ferementer and it is happily bubbling at between 23-24 C. My questions is, would this take as long to ferment as what every one else has had? Will this take 4 odd weeks? I think this yeast attenuates at 65-75%, so will I also have to add another yeast to get the FG down? Was hoping I wouldn't have to do this as I wanted to save some of the yeast.

Eric

I think it should atttenuate more than that. You can take some of the krausen if you want to save some yeast.
Sorry not familiar with the whitelabs yeast.

I finally got round to do my Saison last weekend and after a few problems and loosing some wort to the walls and ceiling, :blink: thats another story ahem, I managed to dump into the fermenter on Monday.
this is what I brewed

Ingredients
6.50 kg Pilsner,
0.35 kgMunich, Light
0.35 kgWheat Malt,
45.00 gm Styrian Goldings
35.00 gm Styrian Goldings
20.00 gm Styrian Goldings

WLP 565 Belgian Saison 1

Now since it is kinda cold I have put a belt on the ferementer and it is happily bubbling at between 23-24 C. My questions is, would this take as long to ferment as what every one else has had? Will this take 4 odd weeks? I think this yeast attenuates at 65-75%, so will I also have to add another yeast to get the FG down? Was hoping I wouldn't have to do this as I wanted to save some of the yeast.

Eric
Sounds awesome Eric,
Can you save me some of that yeast please?
And what was your OG? Looks big!

Unfortunately I had some of the grain cracked for some time, mainly the munich and wheat, so I think I may have lost a bit of efficiency there. It ended up at 1.066, was hoping for around 1.070.
If I don't have to use another yeast to get the FG down i will definitely save you some.

I just fermented one with the Wyeast Saison strain, which I think is the same one (no doubt I'll be corrected if I'm wrong :) ). Mine sat on 24C the whole time and took about 4 weeks. 1.050 to 1.005. Best attenuation I've ever had. Most of the gravity came off in the first week, so don't give up on it too soon, or you might end up with Eric's Magical Exploding Saison. :icon_cheers:

T.

you might end up with Eric's Magical Exploding Saison. :icon_cheers:
That might have happened before fermenting, but we won't go there!!! :ph34r:
I will do my best at leaving it for a few weeks with no readings. I will keep checking the temp to make sure that is stays around the same.

:beerbang:

Doc's Saison is pretty mean brew

Me and Franko mashed it !

Hell he aint stopped talking bout crushing them F*#ing Seeds of paradise from Seara Leone ( the sess pit of the world ) good job we boiled them for 90 min .

But after a six month hiatus in the corner of Franks garage at 40C

The ugly duckling turned into a Swan .

Wow ! everyone loved it ( except Franko )

Maii next brew Bro !!!

Pumpy ;)

Back