Saison Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the recipe I was thinking of doing.
Ingredients
6.50 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (3.2 EBC)
Grain 90.28 %

0.35 kgMunich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC)
Grain4.86 %

0.35 kgWheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 EBC)
Grain4.86 %

45.00 gm Styrian Goldings [4.60 %] (60 min)
Hops 19.2 IBU

30.00 gmHallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %] (15 min)
Hops5.1 IBU

20.00 gm Styrian Goldings [4.60 %] (5 min)
Hops1.7 IBU
WLP 565 Belgian Saison 1

Not sure if I should add some sugar or not though.

Eric, I found the candi sugar pretty easy to make. all you need is a saucepan, candy thermometer and some citric acid.
http://oz.craftbrewer.org/Library/Methods/...ers/candy.shtml

I've got one chugging away nicely with Wyeast 3726 Farmhouse Ale (many thanks Quintrex), it's already down from 1.052 to 1.012 after 5 days and there's still some airlock activity. This strain seems a lot more willing to work at lower temps than the Dupont strain (3724).

Warren -

Hi Warren,

That IS quick compared to 3724! My recent Saison using the Dupont strain quickly dropped about 20 points (OG was 1058) over the period of about 3 days and then just chugged along for another 3 weeks to get down to 1006. I have most of the batch still conditioning in the keg (been there for about 3 weeks now), but have sampled a few I bottled from the fermenter leftovers - very happy with the result.

Yep Ozpowell. Looks a promising strain.

I've done a couple with the Dupont strain and found it very frustrating but produced a cracker of a beer.

The Farmhouse strain doesn't smell as fully spicy/fruity on the nose as Dupont but is a fair compromise given the tame fermentation. :)

Warren -

Yep Ozpowell. Looks a promising strain.

I've done a couple with the Dupont strain and found it very frustrating but produced a cracker of a beer.

The Farmhouse strain doesn't smell as fully spicy/fruity on the nose as Dupont but is a fair compromise given the tame fermentation. :)

Warren -

I think the farmhouse is awesome for quickly producing a saison that peaks a lot quicker than the dupont strain, however the Dupont strain is still my fave!

Saison stout sounds very cool! I'd guess you'd do more a carafa styley stout than roast barley?

Been meaning to do a rye stout for a while, hmmm rye saison stout?

Q

Saison stout sounds very cool! I'd guess you'd do more a carafa styley stout than roast barley?

Q

+2

I was only just thinking about a stout fermented with saison yeast the other night. My current brew schedule is lined up so I might give the saison stout a go in a few months time.

Q

Yeah probably minimal roast Q... Maybe darkened mainly with dark candi syrup.

:lol: Rye sounds like a plan. The only reason I added bourghul to my current one was because they ran out of flaked spelt at the Health Food store at the Sth. Melbourne Market. Had a heap of it a couple of months ago. I should have bought it then. <_<

Warren -

I just can't wait to start brewing now.... the saison stout sounds very interesting!

Here's the updated recipe. Ready to go tomorrow. I started the yeast this morning.
I still have to clean gear & set up the backyard.
Any last minute suggestions are welcome.

Saison de Rue de Boulanger (name change pending birth of bub no.2)

Category Belgian and French Ale
Subcategory Saison
Recipe Type All Grain
Batch Size 23 liters
Volume Boiled 36 liters
Mash Efficiency 72 %
Total Grain/Extract 7.28 kg.
Total Hops 65.0 g.

5.4 kg. Australian Traditional Ale (JW)
0.2 kg. Melanoidin Malt
0.18 kg. Belgian Cara-Pils
1 kg. Australian Wheat Malt
0.5 kg. Candi Sugar Clear
45 g. Styrian Goldings (Pellets, 4.600 %AA) boiled 60 min.
20 g. Czech Saaz (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 5 min.
8 grams Coriander Seed
8 grams orange peel
Yeast : Wyeast Belgian Farmhouse Ale

The idea of a Saison Stout is really ringing in my mind. Must do it one day. :chug:

Warren -

:lol: :lol: You would remember not so long ago it was done by some 'sicko' .
IT was very nice if I remember.

:lol: :lol: You would remember not so long ago it was done by some 'sicko' .
IT was very nice if I remember.

:lol: Sorry Bindi

Wouldn't have said 'sicko's' recipe nearby would you? :p

Warren -

Finally brewed this one yesterday. Took forever too, I believe it was a stuck sparge.
The saison is currently down to 34c on the garage floor, and I'll wait till it drops to a normal temp before taking a reading.
The orange peel & coriander smell awesome.
Also, I stuffed up in putting in the candi sugar at the start of the boil, instead of the end (as per all the saison recipes I read said). Any ideas of the difference?

Also, I stuffed up in putting in the candi sugar at the start of the boil, instead of the end (as per all the saison recipes I read said). Any ideas of the difference?

It may be a little bit darker than it would otherwise have been and you might also have some caramelisation in flavour, although the differences (to using sugar at the end of the boil) will probably be minor. I'm sure that it will still taste/look awesome.

Regarding temperature, the brewery that the yeast comes from conducts fermentation around 25-27 deg C so don't be afraid to pitch warm.

Well, to join the saison appreciation club, I'll post the recipe I made earlier this week. I'm going to split the batch between the Farmhouse ale yeast and the French Saison. Might make about 2/3 with the French Saison and then I'm very tempted to pitch some brett on to half of that. I think Warren has done that before and I've got some brett anomalus just lurking in the fridge waiting for some work. Anybody else tried it or have any suggestions?

Batch Size: 39.00 L
Boil Size: 47.79 L
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 7.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 33.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC) Grain 75.00 %
1.00 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 12.50 %
1.00 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 EBGrain 12.50 %
50.00 gm Target [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 33.1 IBU
50.00 gm Challenger [7.90 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 gm Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
3.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Farmhouse Ale (Wyeast Labs #3726) Yeast-Ale
1 Pkgs French Saison (Wyeast #3711) Yeast-Ale

Just looked then and it's still sitting at 30c.... still a bit too warm to pitch. (also not a good move after polishing off a bottle of Golden Strong ale.).

Tasted hydrometer reading 1060... a bit low, but whatever, it was awesome!

Correction with the hydrometer. OG = 1058.
Pitched the yeast this morning at 26c.
Bring it on.

:icon_offtopic:
SWMBO had a phone call yesterday from one of her friends, asking if I've brewed any more fruit beers lately. :icon_chickcheers:
Looks like the framboise is the next one to brew!

Had a little sample on monday night. Beautiful.
She's on top of the bar fridge now, bubbling away at about 25celsius, in stereo with a KnK framboise.

My latest effort with the Farmhouse Ale strain (3726) is fermented fully out after 2 weeks.

The Dupont strain could learn many things here. :beer:

(Time to clean the kegs)

Warren -

Back