Saflager Yeast Starter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cynicide

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Pilsner today and I've put my saflager yeast in a sanitized container with airlock along with boiled water at 24 degrees.

The problem is she won't start, no airlock activity no bubbles, no head. I've tried singing to it, putting it in a warm place, putting a little malt extract in it. Nothing seems to work!

It's been sitting there for about three hours and I'm running out of ideas! I have another packet of saflager but I'd like to use the starter if possible.

Does anyone have any ideas?

When I make a starter for my wyeasts I make up 2 litres of starter wort at a rate of about 100g of light dried malt to 1 litre of water and boil for about 15min. When it's cooled I pitch the yeast and let it sit overnight on the stir plate.

When I use dried yeast, I just proof it by soaking the dried yeast in about 200ml cooled boiled water for 20 minutes. Then add a teaspoon of dextrose, light dried malt or 100ml of your wort, stir and leave it until you see it begin to form bubbles or foam on the surface. Then chuck it into your fermenter.

G'day Joel, I haven't used saf for a while but from memory you may need to wait a few more hours. Ensure the temp was accurate. Also check the use by date on the packet. If it's good and you follow the instructions you should do okay.

:D

Cynicide said:
I'm brewing a Pilsner today and I've put my saflager yeast in a sanitized container with airlock along with boiled water at 24 degrees.

The problem is she won't start, no airlock activity no bubbles, no head. I've tried singing to it, putting it in a warm place, putting a little malt extract in it. Nothing seems to work!

It's been sitting there for about three hours and I'm running out of ideas! I have another packet of saflager but I'd like to use the starter if possible.

Does anyone have any ideas?
[post="119105"][/post]​

Cynicide,

When you've just added to cooled boiled water, you will see no activity - All you are doing is rehydrating the yeast before pitching. There was no need to add the malt extract, but it won't do any harm, but still may take a while for visible action. Pitch into your brew straight away now, no need to wait for activity. Brew should be bubbling away within 24hrs...

cheers Ross

Making a starter means building a small quantity of yeast cells up to a larger quantity so that there are enough to pitch to your fermenter full of wort. This way you have plenty of actively working yeast ready and rearing to work on your brew.

Reconstituting yeast means rehydrating them in plain water, about 200ml that has been boiled and cooled to 30 degrees C. The yeast should be left in this for 15-30 minutes, then the whole lot tipped into your wort. Rehydrating the yeast in water allows the cell walls to rehydrate without the osmotic pressure of sugar and makes them survive the transition from dried to wort better.

Do not add any sort of sugar or malt to the rehydrating solution.

Years ago, when yeast supplies were dodgy, rehydrating was combined with proofing, where you proved that the yeast was still alive.

Do not try and make a starter out of your dried yeast. By adding a pack of yeast to a litre or two of wort, you are overpitching, there are not enough nutrients to go around and the yeast cannot multiply properly due to limited supplies of nutrients. The yeast are actually damaged by not enough nutrients.

Gah, I got confused between a starter and rehydration.

So it sat in 26 degree water for 5-6 hours, I hope it's ok.

I took this photo of the fermenter 24 hours after patching so I guess it's working.

fermenting9qq.jpg

I have another packet of saflager does anyone think I should pitch it or wait to see what happens?

So it sat in 26 degree water for 5-6 hours, I hope it's ok.

What happens to the dried yeast if re-hydrated correctly (just pre-boiled water), but for a long time, say the 5 hours Cynicide did instead of 15-30min?

We sell something like 60 packets of various Saf yeasts a month.

I have noticed a pattern; the only people who have any problems with yeast are people who either pitch way to hot or those who try to hydrate or make a starter.

I remember when yeast was far less reliable, these days the yeasts are of such high quality that you are better off just sprinkle them in and shutting the lid as soon as you can.

Every time you handle or transfer a yeast you increase the chances of something going wrong.

MHB

POL, times have changed on the rehydration issue. It used to be that Danstar (Nottingham) vehemently recommended only water for rehydration. Fermentis on the other hand are today, quite happy with either water or wort.

Some years ago I witnessed a small English micro using wort and a BIG whisk to mix the Nottingham yeast for rehydration. It worked perfectly. I ALWAYS use wort at 28 to 30C to rehydrate Fermentis yeasts be they ale or lager.

All that said, some micros direct pitch into the fermenter but at 22 or 23C and then allow the glycol to cool the wort to the desired fermmenting temp.

Wes

MHB said:
We sell something like 60 packets of various Saf yeasts a month.

I have noticed a pattern; the only people who have any problems with yeast are people who either pitch way to hot or those who try to hydrate or make a starter.

I remember when yeast was far less reliable, these days the yeasts are of such high quality that you are better off just sprinkle them in and shutting the lid as soon as you can.

Every time you handle or transfer a yeast you increase the chances of something going wrong.

MHB
[post="119307"][/post]​
Yep
Iv'e been a Saf yeast user for a few years now, and I just sprinkle on top, at around the right Temp.
Tried to re-hydrate a few times & all have failed, & needed another pitching

Normell

Latest posts

Back