Saflager 23

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flagg

Reaction score
Hi,
A while back I tried my first temperature controlled lager. I got a Black Rock Dry lager and bought a sachet of Saflager 23 for the ferment. We have an old fridge that we don't use much any more and I found that I can set it to regulate at 12degC. Mixed it up and everything seemed fine, I was getting a slow but steady ferment. After about two weeks all activity seemed to have stoped. So I checked the SG which had come down to 1.020 from an OG of 1.045. Not ready yet so I left it another two weeks and checked the SG again. 1.015 and still not ready. As Christmas was comming up I had to remove it from the fridge and let it finish off at the room temperature of 20-25. This finished very quickly and I bottled and have now started drinking the beer. A little early I know but I couldn't wait.
The tast is good and it's definitly a dry lager, but I it's not a smooth as I was trying for, proably due to finishing it off at the higher temperatures. Does any one have any idears about why it was taking so long in the fridge. I belive that Saflager 23 will ferment happly between 9-15degC and so 12 should have been fine. I would have loved to let it ferment out in the fridge but at the rate it was going it could have taken 5-6 weeks. And that just seems wrong. Any idears.

Flagg.

All the usual advice for doing lagers applies here, one pack of saflager is a bit on the low side, try two or three packs of yeast next time. Rehydrate and pitch at correct temp, airate the wort as much as possible!

Agree about pitching rates. For any of the Saflager yeasts I pitch at double the ale rate, eg. 2 sachets in a normal 20-24 litre batch.

One thing I've found with both W-34/70 and S-23 is that they seem cleaner at the higher end of their temperature range, around 12C for 34/70 and 14C for S-23. With both yeasts I've had strange fruity esters when fermented at the cool end, but clean lagers at the higher end.

S-189 seems to be clean at any temperature, even up into the mid teens.

Thanks for the advice. I hadn't thought about the ammount of yeast pitched. As an alternative could you achive the same results by building the yeast up a bit in a starter?
Flagg.

Yes. I try to make a starter whenever possible. Good fermentation through better pitching rates and correct temps has seen the greatest improvement in my brewing.

Latest posts

Back