SA AHB Xmas Case 2005

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI - as previously posted the BSVE Pils (with the awfully smart label design) is not - I repeat - not a dud, however, after opening another tonght, I;m finding the carbonation to be getting up there quite quickly. I;m wondering (with my fairly un-edu-brew-cated mind) if the carb level may step up a little higher than I would like. Therefore, crack her open and have a try. I could be wrong on this, so if anyone has any thoughts as on it, please, let me know. I'd just hate for any to explode and filthy up yo fridges.

Just a heads up, boys.

C&B

AMac

ok he is the recipe for the kiwi mongel lager or j1

kiwi Mongrel lager

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 24.00 Wort Size (L): 24.00
Total Grain (kg): 5.75
Anticipated OG: 1.05700 Plato: 14.037
Anticipated EBC: 10.5
Anticipated IBU: 39.1
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Tinseth
Tinseth Concentration Factor: 1.30

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 0 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
4.3 0.25 kg. JWM Wheat Malt Australia 334.126 4
82.6 4.75 kg. Weyermann Pilsner Germany 317.420 4
4.3 0.25 kg. Powells Melanoidin Australia 302.702 50
8.7 0.50 kg. IMC Munich Australia 317.420 12

Potential represented as IOB- HWE ( L / kg ).

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
13.00 g. Pacific Sunrise Pellet 14.20 20.6 60 min.
15.00 g. Hallertauer Nz Aroma Pellet 5.50 7.1 30 min.
15.00 g. Nelson Sauvin Pellet 12.70 7.7 10 min.
30.00 g. Hallertauer Nz Aroma Pellet 5.50 3.7 5 min.
20.00 g. Hallertauer Nz Aroma Pellet 5.50 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 2112 California Lager

I've cracked open the BSVE pils, got a nice minty herbal malty sweet aroma and a lasting head, colour seems a little too dark for style. I don't think it's quite ready yet, I think it would have dried out better after longer in bottle. Bitterness is great, I can notice it but it's not trying to rape and pillage the sides of my tongue. Somehow in all the careful tasting I've thoroughly drained my glass and enjoyed it, but I'm not sure it meets the guidelines for a pils.

Glacier summer ale... I can review my own beer, can't i? I've drunk enough of it.

Pours with little to no head, some haze but the light colour alleviates that a little. Very strong lemon oil aroma, lemon on flavour and a sour taste to it, although slightly sweet too. Carbonation is low but evident if held on the tongue. Also quite tingly from what I think is the sourness.

Thanks for the kind words Kai. The pils certainly is a little to dark for the style, but I do have an explanation for that - I just can't think of it right now.

I've just gone out to my back room/brewery/brew storage facility to find a the results of a small explosion. Sorry GMK, all survived, but your TT couldn't seem to handle life in a bottle. Luckily for me, it wasn't ON the pool table, just near it, so only a small amount of stainage. Oh well - whats a pool table without a few beer stains - makes it more of a boys room if you ask me - just need a few cigi burns now......NOT!!!

MAH's M3 mild ale

Brown with reddish highlight, no head but carbonation is nice and it's clear as a ding dong dell. Fragrant grain aroma, rich full malty body with a dry finish. Smooth as silk, slight roasty/dark grain finish.

Excellent beer.

MAH's M4 mild ale

holds a small head slightly longer than M3, not as clear. Either slightly more acrid from the dark grain or slightly less full and rounded on the body, or both. M3 has my vote.

Aarons IPA,

Not a bad drop, mine was also a boy, however after the head settled it proved to be a smooth ale with a nice balance (Which was a welcome releif after one of my rye IPA's). Good work Aaron.

Cheers

Hawkesy and Colesy

Jayse's Rush 2112

Excellent! Pours with a nice strong white head that hangs around. Fantastic fruity aroma. It's all about the hops with this one. A nice strong bitterness up front and plenty of hop flavour. It does have just a little malt character to give it a bit of balance. A top drop.

TDA's bitter

Malt and herbal hop with a little caramel. Clear dark copper colour with good but low head. Perfect carbonation and well balanced flavour, quite similar to the aroma.

Not sure about this beer, TDA. Please send me the rest of the batch for resampling.

Fergi's pale ale

Similar herbal qualities to TDA's bitter but less malt. Slightly grassy flavour, sweet with a very faint smoky finish. Dryness on the bitterness after a few sips that has me licking my chops repeatedly but does lend the beer a certain creaminess when combined with the carbonation and the sweetness & body.

[edit] astringency grows quite strong as I get through the beer

Tim's dark ale

Pours almost black as coal and almost flat as a tack. Realistically though it has a similar carbonation level to my american brown ale and I don't mind it at all.

Dark roasty grain aroma is quite prominent but there's no astringent ashtray flavour. Smells a bit like chicory. Flavour is similar and a sweetness seems to help that, but there's sort of a dry finish beyond that.

This one's interesting, it's like it was stepping up to being a stout but got lost along the way. Bear in mind, I think there's nothing wrong with getting lost along the way.

GMK's TT landlord ale

Cap bursts fizzy and the beer tumbles over-carbonated into my glass. Similar mild herbal/malt aroma to TDA's but a sharper edge to it. Hard to tell beyond the overcarbonation but it seems a trifle thin, other than that it seems well balanced and quite drinkable... again if not for the over-carbonation.

Bloody hell Ken, I left half a bottle of your TT alone on my benchtop and it spooged all over it.

GMK's imperial chocolate stout

Pours inky brown/black with a foamy coffee-coloured head that vanishes quickly. I certainly can't see through it. Aroma of chicory and chocolate. Also slightly overcarbonated.

Once the carb has settled down a bit (with a little judicious swirling), flavour is chocolate, chicory and a coffee with sugar. There seems to be enough bittering backbone to not make it too overly sweet, but I'm not getting any pleasant warmth as I think an imperial stout should have (from my woefully limited experience, of course). Also starts off sweet but finishes a little thin for my liking.

Jumping flaming jesus on a pogo stick, kenny, your ICS lost its load on my bench too

Jazman's J2

Aroma is nice and spicy. Beer itself is cleer as a bell and a standard amber colour. My head went but the beer has a nice carbonation level. Flavour keeps itself very well balanced, some tartness and a lingering slightly dry bitterness.

Jayse skink fart is great nice copper dark amber colour nice aroma and nice balance no hop astringency which can ahppem with some heavily hopped apa

nice on jayse

thanx jazman

I just drank GMK's beer or should i say tried to, down the sink :angry: undrinkable, both reminded me of nannas long drop, smelt like disinfectant and stale bog.
god damn.......... :ph34r:

D'yer mak'er
Jayse

jayse said:
thanx jazman

I just drank GMK's beer or should i say tried to, down the sink :angry: undrinkable, both reminded me of nannas long drop, smelt like disinfectant and stale bog.
god damn.......... :ph34r:

D'yer mak'er
Jayse
[post="99799"][/post]​

You never like my beers...anyway...

Latest posts

Back