SA AHB Xmas Case 2005

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So next up is Simon's Old that has been getting so much praise. Nice deep colour with low carbonation. Still poured a good head that hing around. Really nice rich aroma. Nice and roasty and malty.

At the first sip I thought it was a little sweet. Then after a couple it just kind of grew on me. It was almost like it magically came into balance with the bitterness balancing it out nicely. A top drop.

Just for Jayse

"Misty Mountain Hop"

AnthonyMac said:
The best led zerp song I've ever come accross. Thanks Aaron!!
[post="97693"][/post]​

What I love to see, apparently young blokes showing their true age :p

SteveSA's dunkel, fantastic yet surprisingly light and refreshing malt aroma. I caught a fleeting but strong whiff of bubblegum while the beer was cold and fresh in the glass, but it's gone now. Gorgeous ruby-brown hue that would be making me wet my pants if it was clear and a nice tan head. Surprisingly dry finish considering the FG, but slightly overcarbonated which is detracting a little. Thanks for providing the recipe and other details, Steve.

[edit] a couple more degrees (and a little swirling) has knocked back the carbonation and rounded out the flavour better. It has also produced a little carbon flavour and made it seem a little bitter, which is surprising to me.

just finished TDAs fiest bier und ist gut as i havent made many or tasted many fiest beers this one you can just taste a bit of hops not much but in comparing to my fiest beer maybe a tad bitter as mine was in sabsossa a tad bitter but im not complaining a great beer

Mr tall stu small man syndrone beer
this beer was good also a bit over carbed but nice drinking beer as as tu said the hops were a little astringent but not over bearing and by the time a small bit of it it want noticeable

So far the standard of beers in this case is very good i cant wait to get stuck into the rest

Can't believe I have had 4 AFD's in the last 6 days. The Xmas case is singing out to be molested :p

Here is my Oktoberfest recipe for those that requested it:

COLONEL KLINK'S OKTOBERFEST
Oktoberfest/Marzen

Type: All Grain
Date: 18/09/2005
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Mark Rasheed
Boil Size: 27.86 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Marks Equipment
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.0

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.20 kg BB Galaxy Pale Malt (3.0 EBC) Grain 58.2 %
1.50 kg Weyermann Munich II (23.6 EBC) Grain 27.3 %
0.67 kg Weyermann Munich I (15.8 EBC) Grain 12.2 %
0.13 kg Weyermann Melanoidin (70.9 EBC) Grain 2.4 %
32.00 gm Spalter [4.50%] (60 min) Hops 21.5 IBU
15.00 gm Hallertauer [2.50%] (30 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
10.00 gm Hallertauer [2.50%] (15 min) Hops 1.0 IBU
1 Pkgs Oktoberfest (Wyeast Labs #2263) Yeast-Lager

Beer Profile

Measured Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.5 %
Bitterness: 25.4

What I did:

1. 100% rain water. No chemicals except for Wyeat yeast nutrient.
2. Fermented at 10C for 3 weeks and 3 days.
3. Lagered at 0C for 4 weeks.
4. Bulk primed and bottled 20.5 litres on 8/11/05 with 150 grams of caster sugar.

If anyone does brew it I would love to hear how it turns out.

C&B
TDA

THE DRUNK ARAB said:
Can't believe I have had 4 AFD's in the last 6 days. The Xmas case is singing out to be molested :p

Here is my Oktoberfest recipe for those that requested it:

COLONEL KLINK'S OKTOBERFEST
Oktoberfest/Marzen

Type: All Grain
Date: 18/09/2005
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Mark Rasheed
Boil Size: 27.86 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Marks Equipment
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.0

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.20 kg BB Galaxy Pale Malt (3.0 EBC) Grain 58.2 %
1.50 kg Weyermann Munich II (23.6 EBC) Grain 27.3 %
0.67 kg Weyermann Munich I (15.8 EBC) Grain 12.2 %
0.13 kg Weyermann Melanoidin (70.9 EBC) Grain 2.4 %
32.00 gm Spalter [4.50%] (60 min) Hops 21.5 IBU
15.00 gm Hallertauer [2.50%] (30 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
10.00 gm Hallertauer [2.50%] (15 min) Hops 1.0 IBU
1 Pkgs Oktoberfest (Wyeast Labs #2263) Yeast-Lager

Beer Profile

Measured Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.5 %
Bitterness: 25.4

What I did:

1. 100% rain water. No chemicals except for Wyeat yeast nutrient.
2. Fermented at 10C for 3 weeks and 3 days.
3. Lagered at 0C for 4 weeks.
4. Bulk primed and bottled 20.5 litres on 8/11/05 with 150 grams of caster sugar.

If anyone does brew it I would love to hear how it turns out.

C&B
TDA
[post="97907"][/post]​

TDA,

What temp did you mash at please?

Hi Ross, mashed at 65 - 66C. I use a liquid filled thermometer so that is the limit of my accuracy, no decimal points.

C&B

Simon's Old

I agree with Jayse's assessment. Malt aroma is light caramel and there's a mild herbal hop aroma too. I've got it too cold though, and I fear it will be gone before it warms up properly. Perfectly balanced but maybe a wee bit fizzy for my liking just at the moment

Jayse's Rush steam beer

Wonderful. Got a nice candied citrus peel aroma, not sure if that's true to style or not but I like it. Dry woody finish with a good bitterness level but not harsh. Does dry the mouth out a tiny bit though but all that does is make me take another sip.

Joel's Rather Ordinary Bitter

Pours with the lowest head of the load so far. There's a trace of what may be diacetyl unless I'm imagining it, like one of my beers with a coopers yeast that's not conditioned yet. How long has it been in bottle, Joel?

Beyond that it is nice. Could maybe do with a little extra body and malt.

FYI - Earlier this eve I removed the cap of one of my BSVE Pils. I;m happy to announce that it aint that bad. I don';t want to blow my own trumpet - just wanted to let you know that it is safe for drinking.

C&B

AMac

aMac's black shitter porter

pours black as the ace of spades with a thin tan head. Coffeelike aroma. Roasty qualities on the flavour, not to be a broken record but a hair overcarbonated for my tastes. I think the carbonation is enhancing the roast. Good finish, nice bitterness that intermingles with the dark grains well.

I'm not as good at written reviews as others, so I'll post pictorial reviews.

Simon's English Old Ale - Very Nice beer. Well done Simon

DSC00033.JPG

Anthony Mac's Black Shitty Porter.
Nice and roasty, with a dry finish

AnthonyMac_Black_Shitty_Porter.JPG

DSC00035.JPG

Shitty porter? Didn't you like it, boots?

Kai, it's been in the bottle about three weeks now I think. I only bulk primed with 90g of dextrose into about 21 litres. I wanted a low level of carbonation... looks like I got it :)

Onto a different topic, what do special malts like Melanoidin, Carapils, CaraAroma, Munich, etc do for your beer? So if I had 4kg of pale malt, and a bit of one of these special types what would be the effect?

And what does diacetyl taste like?

Diacetyl tastes like caramel or butterscotch. I'm not 100% sure it's what I picked up, but it did taste like it.

butterscotch taste can be very pronounced.never came across this until a few years back i went to a certain place in the adelaide hills and noticed it in one of there beers.thought twice about mentioning it to the brewer in case it was meant to be a trait of the beer.
for the record i cant remember the beer but it still tasted really nice.i went back for more so its not a bad thing at times.

cheers
big d

Just had the J2 pils. Lovely aroma. Poured a small but decent head. Was a little haz. Not sure if it was chill haze as I drank it all before it got a chance to warm up. A very nice sharp bitterness straight up front and then you get the hop flavour after that. Probably not quite as clean as I would like a pils. A very nice beer that I enjoyed.

Latest posts

Back