SA AHB Xmas Case 2005

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't worry anythony I won't post anything on the forum that would be embrassing to the brewer if by chance the beer doesn't come up to the high standards.
That comment was intended for one perticular brewer who claims to be the grand champion of the world so if those beers don't come up to the highest of standards than I won't have too much problem bagging it if you all get my drift.

No quarter
Jayse

It is good to know taht we can ALL rely on your ::super:
- Grand Champion Taste buds.
- Grand Champion Pallete
- Grand Champion Beer Knowledge

And most important of all - your open mindness in accepting adjuncts from outside the German Beer Purity Laws...:beerbang:

To form an unbiased opinion....

I'am not sure I get the meaning of your post GMK, number one my reviews will certianly be very very biased in that they will be what 'I' thought of them.

Never claimed to have great taste buds in fact i smoke a packet of cigarettes a day and certain other weeds.
Never claimed my pallete is great in fact for lunch i'll have a vegimite sandwich and a coopers lite and enjoy them.
Never claimed to have great beer knowledge in fact I'am sure I have ended posts with the statement 'this is my drunken ignorant opinion'

As for adjuncts i have used, flaked maize, torrified wheat, raw wheat, flaked barley, lactose, golden sryup, sugar,dextrose,honey and oatmeal to name a few.
If you think i'am narrow minded then I'am not gunna argue with that, thats your opinion and your intitled to it.

I'll give honest reports on what 'I' thought of the beers what more can I do?

Hey hey what can I do.
Jayse

Ok better get back to the beers and leave all the nonense behind.

The same nite I had simons old I tried his english pale ale.

apperance-Colour was spot on, clarity was not clear but i put that down to yeast being disturbed when opened due to the carbonation being a little high. Head retention was good.

aroma-hops were fragrant/herbal and minty, malt was neutral to slight bready/grainy. yeast character was neutral showing signs of a nice clean fermentation.

Flavour-all similar characters to the aroma, hops were herbal/minty, malt is neutral to slight bready/grainy. Balance is well balnced to dry bitter with a dry bitter herbal aftertaste

overall- dry bitter, thin to medium body,earthy slighty but more herbal/minty.
Good beer very drinkable if not maybe a little tad to high minty/herbal character but i'am sure thats not out of style.
Some similar qualities to something like a coopers ale in body and malt flavour with the added herbal minty hop flavour and added bitterness.
not quite what I'd proberly recognize as a true english pale ale in the league of what the bjcp list as classics of the style but a very lovely easy drinking beer.
Possibly the higher carbonation did take a bit away from some aspects.

wrap-high carbonation,light body, slighty bready malt flavour, minty hop flavour and aroma, easy drinking pale ale.
drank around 9-11c.
Top work again simon, good beer.

drank roachs two beers last nite and i'll be back later to post the drunken notes I put down.

Jayse

Hawkesy's Irish Red

Pours with a head I could curl up and go to sleep on. Lovely deep amber colour.

Sweet amd malty with a grainy finish. Carbonation level is perfect.

I can't keep up with you guys. Two a night is my limit (I know, I know... piss poor for a brewer. I think I like the brewing more than the drinking).

Up tonight, will be Simons Pale Ale and then one of wee stu's. Haven't decided on which one yet. Then I'll be packing up as much beer as I can carry to take to Darwin to continue the Grand Beer Odyssey that is the SA Xmas Case 05.

Joel said:
Just finished my first beer from the Xmas case... TDA's Octoberfest. Loved it. TDA can you please post the recipe or PM me it? That's the kind of beer I want to make one day.

[post="97247"][/post]​

Will get around to it Joel.

Cheers & bollocks
TDA

Roach's IRA

Deep brown colour with a ruby hue but hard to tell when bottle is cloudy. Good solid tan head, caramel aroma and deep malty caramel flavour. Full bodied, but as Jayse mentions to me on chat a good dry finish.

Joel said:
then one of wee stu's. Haven't decided on which one yet.
[post="97544"][/post]​

I'd suggest the Kilt Lifter Joel.

I entered the Little Big Man in good faith, having brewed two bonza, bewt, ripper, dinkum, bottler batches to the same recipe previously, but this one is somewhat disappointing - even if it is a bit of an excited boy child :blink:

That's a shame Stu, tho I'm sure you're just being modest :p I still rate your original little big man as one of my favourite beers.

Ok heres the drunken rantings i wrote down last nite while drinking roach's beer
Both were good beers.

CAP

apperance-colour looks to be spot on for style, clarity is to hard to judge as the carbonation was excessive and lost some beer from the bottle to foam on trying to bleed some of it out the cap which would have sent the yeast into suspension. head retention was good but the foam was like that of a sea water foam due to the high carbonation.

Aroma- quite hard to discribe as i'am not very familiar with the type of beer and aromas/flavours but sweet/worty/corny was what I wrote down. Hops are neutral and fermentation character is neutral. DMS does come to mind but i'am sure theres none there in realality.

Flavour-pale malt worty edge with what i can only put down to a corn like flavour aswell. Hops are quite neutral. After the intial high carb on opening it did settle down well to have a nice high carbonation which at the temps i drank it at by the end of the glass was down to medium. balance is sweet, was expecting crisp but on further inspection again of the guidelines this fits the style.
after taste is the sweet pale malt worty and again a flavour i can only speculate is that of corn.

overall-I was expecting a crisp beer but it is like the guidelines say it should be slighty sweet and semi creamy mouthfeel and bordering on medium bodied. Overall impression is the pale malty corn flavour and finish could be balanced some more with some extra bitterness and noble hop flavour.

good beer and could easy drink it till the cows come home only major flaw being losing half the bottle to foam trying to open it due to excessive carbonation.

Irish red ale

apperance-a bit darker than red more like dark amber to brown, hops are neurtal and the fermentation characters are also neutral. Carbonation is high and head retention is good.

Flavour- malty cloying sweet with a dry finish, hops are neutral but do balance the beer well, conditioning is a bit high. After taste is cloying carmel malty sweet but still dry at the same time due i think to the high carbonation, balance is about how i'd expect.

overall-aftertaste of cloying sweet caramel malt but almost dry sensation. caramal toffee like flavour, awesome lasting caramel cloying sweet but dryness on the end which has you sucking your mouth from the cloying sweetness which is still like i said somewhat dry I think it may be due because of the high carbonation level, medium to full body but quite dry cloying finish.
can't really pick any fault with this beer expect maybe the colour is not really red as such but that means very little to me really.
great beer. Most certainly the best part of this beer which I love is the sensation in the mouth with the co2 and dry caramel cloying sweet finish that is spectacual.
After knocking some co2 out of the last bit the sweetness does come through even more. Maybe couldn't sit and swill this beer down but you certainly can sit and enjoy it very much indeed.
The cloying sweetness is quite mouth puckering but with the carbonation is to me unreal, i loved it. extroadinary beer roach top work. If i haven't said it enough alreay the cloying sweetness in the finish on this beer is awesome and lasts forever.

I pick a lot of dark crystal in this beer and would proberly cut back a bit next time to come a bit closer to style.

Anyway i hope all that makes some sort of sense roach and i did enjoy beers very much.

I'am gunna crawl
Jayse

well after reading most of the reports on the xmas case i started to get worried,my xmas contribution was only my second extract beer i have done,i wasnt going to enter a xmas beer because all i have been doing before were cans and kits,but after trying the bulk malt route and boiling and adding my own type of hops and starting to use liquid yeast i put my second batch together and entered it in the xmas case.it was a bit young to be opened just yet as its only been in the bottles eight days,however it was in primary for 8 days and secondry for 14 days so today i put one into the freezer for an hour and a quarter then cracked the top off. i think i was pleasantly surprised because it did have a reasonable amount of carbonation and held a reasonable head,it laced all the way down the glass but by the time i got to the bottom the carb was getting a bit light on,no doubt another week or two will see this just right,it has a fairly strong hint of P.O.R maybe too much but i think if i left it for another month it may be a bit less hoppy and a bit smoother.all up i am quite pleased with it and i imagine after some of the better judges have had a sample i will get some worth while hints on how to improve it.all up i hope someone out there enjoys it for what it is, YOUNG,EXPERIMENTAL,but hopefully going in the right direction.i wont be offended by any constructive criticism
cheers
fergi

ok i have had one of your beers fegi and i agree the por is over done but then i think with it not being as harsh it would be a good beer to drink on a hot day it did remind me of coops pale but also thing with boil u had it be hard to work out the hop utilization but still .....fegi keep up the good work maybe a noble holp like goldings,fuggles would make a just a s good beer ,am going to let the next one age and see how much better it gets....keep the way your going and you will slide down the slippery slope of ag

the comments on the beers are great.looking forward to some more ;)

cheers
big d

Just finished off the J1 Kiwi mongrel. A very nice drop. I could sit on that for a session. A nice aroma with a little malt and maybe a trace of honey. The hops were the major aroma. Very nice noblish aroma.

The flavour is very clean. A little malt at first then the hops and the bitterness kick in. A really nice hop flavour too and a nice assertive bitterness.

Good Times!

Aaron said:
snipped>>>

Good Times!
[post="97658"][/post]​

bad times!
you bloody legend aaron, a led zeppelin ending.

In the days of are youth i was told what it means to be a man.
Jayse

Just enjoyed the Little Big Man. Much better than wee stu would have us believe. Really nice American hop aroma, amarillo? It did have a little chill haze but mine was not over carbonated at all. Behaved it's self very well when opened.

There may have been a little yeastiness in the flavout but only minor. Nice American hop flavour also. I got a hint of malt but not a lot. Not as bitter as I was expecting but still well balanced.

Boogie with stu

Latest posts

Back