SA AHB Xmas Case 2005

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Resampling Joel's rather ordinary bitter, it's even better this time around. Had the same experience with Crispy's IPA the other night.

Two to go.

wee stu's wee heavy

caramel toffee aroma with a slight roastiness. malty caramel flavour with a lingering warmth and good carbonation. clear and dark. and sweet, also maybe a little licorice flavour.

G'day fellow brewers,

I just had a superb sample of SteveSA's On ya back for 80/. All that I can say is:

Wow Sitting here in 43 deg heat this beer (traditionally designed for much cooler climates) is F#%^ing grousse (pardon the piss weak pun if you get it) carbonation is spot on, color and clarity is also just right, from what I can tell (from inexperience) it is to style. Good work, great Beer, and get a frozen dog up ya kilt.

Well Done I see why it has won a couple of comps

Cheers

Hawkesy & Ken

That's the only beer I have left. I haven't been able to justify opening it in this weather.

well i have just recieved my xmas case,put 4 stubbies in the freezer a short while ago ,so i am anticipating about 4 oclock to start tasting my xmas case,i will be commenting on each one but as i am not qualified to say wether a beer is true to style i will stick to,,how does it taste to me, i look for a descent holding head,carbonation,color doesnt matter,no over the top after taste and a nice clean finnish,but most of all would i like to make it myself.i prefer a nice malt finnish with a good mix of hops.seeya in a short while

fergi

Well put them in order Fergi - go from pilsners. lagers to pale ales, irish, poerters, darks stouts etc...

But above all have FUN...

ok heres my first couple of xmas case beers

[pedros pilsner
slightly cloudy could be that i threw them in the freezer to cool down,
thin head but lasts all the way ,laces nicely to the glass
initial taste very strong hop flavor
carbonation is good
smooth/creamy
last impression ,nice drop just slightly over hopped

2;skunk fart pale ale
cloudy,looks like a pale ale
thin head ,lasts pretty well,laces on the glass
initial taste ,very floral sweet taste
good carbonation
smooth
floral taste too overpowering for my taste,cut back on the hops and i think this would be a nice drop also

3;onya back for 80/
first pour nice look,good head,
first taste,refreshing,simple mix of taste and aroma,pleasant after taste
carbonation slightly low but i think this is true to style
3/4 through glass still clean taste,nice head still and laces nicely
missus grabs glass sloshes it down the throat,"i like that one,why dont your beers taste like that" ME,"go and get yourself dressed ,and paint your face
anyway this is a well made beer,presentation 1st class labeling,
final taste ,onya back steve sa.well done

well thats all i had time for tonite have to leave some room for a few tonite,going next door to drink my neighbours megaswill keg beer,at least its coopers pale ale,wont be too bad actually,will post some more tomorrow afternoon
cheers
fergi

SteveSA's 80/-

This is my final beer of the case, and for good reason.

No review on this one, just kicking back and enjoying, and wishing you all a fantastic new year.

ok just having another xmas brew,dont know what this one is,its marked j2 on cap so here goes my opinion

first pour looks inviting with a bit of chill haze i think
low head with nice carbonation,
bitterness is spot on for my taste
bit of fruity taste=nice
second pour into the glass to finish whats left in bottle produces a few grains of the yeast but doesnt have that bottom of the bottle taste.
smooth creamy taste,
1/2 glass sitting in front of me while im on computer but dont want to finnish drinking this one

reason being there will not be any left and i am really enjoying this one.
if i could make this one out of my liquid malt and hops i would make this my staple beer.
i know all my mates who shy away from home beer would love it
this is the beer i have been trying to make,top beer here whoever owns it
head all the way to the bottom ,nice lacing, damm why cant i make somthing like this
cheers

fergi

Pretty sure teh J2 is Jazmans - send him a PM - i am sure he will supply the recipe.

ok heres another one that is only marked on the top .poor effort for labelling like the last one i had with the j2,but that was a super beer,anyway this one is marked m3.
first pour,looks like a dark ale,nice dark tan color with low but nice head.
very low carbonation here but still holding head up after about 2 minutes

first taste
very nice first taste for an almost flat beer,style here is probably near the mark though i would think another 3 to 4 weeks in bottle would give it a bit more carb.
flat beer i say but still holding a nice film over head,laces to glass
aroma nice ,second taste gives aroma on the nose with a malty flavour and quite refreshing for a dark ale too maybe its an amber ale.probably more like it.

only thing i can find wrong with this beer is its lack of carbonation,i am 3/4 way through it and keep holding it up to the light searching for some more bubbles,i would like to know the recipe for this one also but its probably an AG beer which is beyond my capabilities
ok well all the beers i have tasted i have given them marks out of 20 for my own information,i will keep these but if the brewers want me to publish my marks out of 20 i will later,but if just my opinion is fine that is ok too

cheers

fergi

fergi said:
ok heres another one that is only marked on the top .poor effort for labelling like the last one i had with the j2,but that was a super beer,anyway this one is marked m3.
[post="100270"][/post]​

If you reasd this thread you can find out where all of these beers came from and what style they are,

j2 recipe it is an all grain beer with hops from nz that u will have trouble getting in sa

Over The Ditch Pils

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 24.00 Wort Size (L): 24.00
Total Grain (kg): 5.75
Anticipated OG: 1.05692 Plato: 14.018
Anticipated EBC: 8.4
Anticipated IBU: 44.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 23.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 31.17 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.04383 SG 10.91 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
82.6 4.75 kg. Weyermann Pilsner Germany 317.420 4
13.0 0.75 kg. IMC Munich Australia 317.420 12
4.3 0.25 kg. Weyermann Carapils (Carafoam) Germany 309.069 3

Potential represented as IOB- HWE ( L / kg ).

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
15.00 g. Super Alpha Pellet 11.10 18.6 60 min.
20.00 g. Czech Saaz Pellet 3.00 0.0 0 min.
15.00 g. Nelson Sauvin Pellet 12.70 16.4 30 min.
15.00 g. Nelson Sauvin Pellet 12.70 7.7 10 min.
25.00 g. Czech Saaz Pellet 3.00 1.7 5 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 2112 California Lager

only takes 2 weeks and a cheque book Jaz :)
(i still use about 1/3 the amount of Nelson that you use :p )
cheers

depends on thte ber tangent to what u uses but yes u can import then but locla places of bussiness may not have em plus in this beer i would drop the super alpha as i dont like it and use saaz or anothe noble or even the southern cross hop

ok 2 more samples last nite
first was tda,s nottingham special bitter
first pour ,carbonation was good,thin head
malty flavour at first sip.
head gave in at half mast,this could have been because i was having this with a beef rib steak on the bone and could have been the fat on my lips from the steak.however the carbonation fell away to zero also,nice aroma on the nose as i was drinking it,i would have expected a bit more of a hop hit with this one but didnt happen

next one was joels rather ordinary bitter
first pour into the glass had large bubbles clinging to the side of the glass,thin head slightly cloudy.
first taste malty kick with a hint of hops,liked it
second mouthfull more of the hops at the back of the mouth and carb has turned to finer bubbles.
poured rest of bottle into glass and this has made a really nice lacy head.
head stay all the way to the last drop,nice hop hit now on the tongue
well balanced beer,i think i will try this one out as well.not sure but i gather it was about 23 litres

cheers
fergi

Hi fergi, glad you liked it. It was a standard 23 litre batch. I had 30L in the kettle, boiled down to 24L. Lost 1L to the kettle.

I had a second try of my own beer after coming back from 2 weeks in Darwin. I was lucky to have any left... the father-in-law drank almost all of my beer (none of the xmas case though!). I was pleasantly surprised by it. Next time I'll drop the Crystal and add in some Melanoidin or something.

well this one is fergis hamley bridge ale"thats me"

the reason for doing this one is that i took it out of the fridge by mistake and opened it up before i realised so i thought i would give it the same going over as the rest of the brews
1st pour ,nice carbonation,good color,thin head
first taste is a malty hit with a touch of hops afterwards
after a couple of minutes the head has really dissapeared to just a film but laces to the glass
halfway down the glass very light film on the head,carbonation is just there but still quite pleasant to drink
this beer when i drank it on xmas day had a bit too much hop bite but after another week in the bottle it really has mellowed
over all it needs a bit more head ,this is a lot like tda,s nottingham special bitter.

cheers
fergi

2 more to sample tonite but that will be after tea

just crabbed a couple of tasters for tonight,having a pasta with chicken sauce,so the 2 that came out were j1 and hawkeys irish red i think,looking forward to trying that hawksey
fergi

Latest posts

Back