S04 Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AntCoop

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I went to the LHBS yesterday to get some us-05 yeast but they were out, but said they had some s04 instead.

I have not used this yeast before and forgot to ask what temp range this yeast should be fermented at, and what if any flavor difference there may be.

Any advice appreciated

Cheers Coops :p

Click on the Craft Brewer link at the top of this site. Follow through the links to yeast. All the information you could possibly want on different yeast.

Hi everyone.

I went to the LHBS yesterday to get some us-05 yeast but they were out, but said they had some s04 instead.

I have not used this yeast before and forgot to ask what temp range this yeast should be fermented at, and what if any flavor difference there may be.

Any advice appreciated

Same temp as US05. It is an ale yeast, the same as US05.

US05 gives a cleaner finish from the yeast. US04 gives more esters. US04 used for English beers.

Barry

I have used S-04 in UK bitters kits n bits, and am thinking of going back to it as my beloved Nottingham hasn't been behaving itself lately (have been getting some sulphury twangs during fermentation and wonder if the last lot of Notto wasn't in the best of health - it was a repack.)

Never had such problems using the S-04 from fermentis. Yes and it did produce quite an estery brew with even a bit of nail polish in the background but I think I fermented it a bit too hot, up to 24 degrees as I didn't have a brew fridge back then. I'll keep the next lot down to around 19.

They are both ale yeasts, I find them best at 18C.

S-04 is great for english bitters, pales, etc. Tends to highlight malt/sweetness more than the US-05.

They are both ale yeasts, I find them best at 18C.

S-04 is great for english bitters, pales, etc. Tends to highlight malt/sweetness more than the US-05.

I'll definitely be using it in my next Welsh Strong Ale. I did the last one with Nottingham and it's turned out dry, twangy and disappointing, interested to see what the next lot will be like. I'll stick to the identical recipe except for the S-04.

US-05 is American Ale yeast. Same as the Wyeast and White labs American verity (sorry do not have the numbers handy)

S-04 is an English Ale yeast and same thing as to cross over (London Ale I think).

I have used the English Ale and have liked its performance. I am still having brewing challenges but a Winter Warmer I brewed with it was very well received at club meetings, once I brought it in glass instead of plastic bottles. Seems plastic is not seen as a proper container for beer here in the USA. Yes I said winter warmer as it is Winter here even though you are all toasty warm and enjoying Summer there.

If you switch you will get more of the English character in your brew.

S04 does seem to flocculate better and its a fast fermenter, does produce a clear beer quickly

I like it

US-05 is American Ale yeast. Same as the Wyeast and White labs American verity (sorry do not have the numbers handy)

S-04 is an English Ale yeast and same thing as to cross over (London Ale I think).

I have used the English Ale and have liked its performance. I am still having brewing challenges but a Winter Warmer I brewed with it was very well received at club meetings, once I brought it in glass instead of plastic bottles. Seems plastic is not seen as a proper container for beer here in the USA. Yes I said winter warmer as it is Winter here even though you are all toasty warm and enjoying Summer there.

If you switch you will get more of the English character in your brew.

Unfortunately, not everyone is enjoying the summer. Thoughts are with all those who are suffering.

Hi everyone.

Any advice appreciated

I've just pitched it into 3 brews. The temp range is 15-24.

Unfortunately, not everyone is enjoying the summer. Thoughts are with all those who are suffering.

Did not want to get into that. Tried to stay on topic of the question.

But sense you brought it up. Yes I thought about the fires as I was writing. We all need to be more specific in what we pray for. Here we are praying for it to warm up. There you are praying for it to cool down. I think we are getting answers to each others prayers.

To answer the question of how clear of a beer you get with S-04. It drops out well and produces a very hard yeast cake. I love the way it stays together and does not stir up when transferring.

I will second what Katske says I have just racked Dr Smurtos GA and used S-O4 for the first time. It is a fast fermenter even at 20C floccuates well with a compact yeast cake. Can't detect any esters of any note but is a little sweeter than US-O5.

Cheers.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Ive just put a batch down...

Coopers lager can
500g Coopers ND standard liquid malt
500g dextrose
250g maltodextrin (did not buy this, was given to me)
steeped 12g teabag of cascade hops 4.4% AA for 10 mins then into fermenter
S04 yeast
in fridge at 18 degrees

will see how it goes

Cheers Coops :icon_cheers:

Coops not sure what you are going for there but at 12gr of cascade hops I would say you are a bit lite on hop additions for the amount of malt in your recipe. IMO I would get the IBU up to balance out the malt. For me I would throw in 20gr of chinook or POR. Not trying to tell you how to suck eggs mate just a suggestion.

Thanks for the advice Beernut.

Would it be an ok idea to boil up some more hops in water, then cool it and add to the fermenter at this stage?...its been in 48 hours now and bubbling away.

I got some Amarillo 8.9% AA today for next brew but can use if needed.

Cheers Coops

Thanks for the advice Beernut.

Would it be an ok idea to boil up some more hops in water, then cool it and add to the fermenter at this stage?...its been in 48 hours now and bubbling away.

I got some Amarillo 8.9% AA today for next brew but can use if needed.

Cheers Coops

not a prob, imo. 5-10mins in about a litre, then chuck er in.

Thanks for the quick reply Butters. :beer: Ill do it right now.

This site is the best :super:

Cheers Coops :beerbang:

Or...even better, add a little malt extract to the water while boiling your hops. This will help to control the pH and prevent you extracting stuff from the hops you dont want.

Back