Rye IPA - not very rye-ey.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welly2

Reaction score
So it's not entirely finished - fermentation is done and so am just about to dry hop it but having a bit of a taste tonight, I was a little disappointed that the rye flavours aren't very pronounced.

Recipe looks like:

2.20 kg Pale Malt
1.60 kg Vienna Malt
1.00 kg Rye Malt
0.30 kg Abbey Malt
0.30 kg Special B Malt
0.25 kg Crystal, Medium
34.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
34.00 g Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min
30.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min
30.00 g Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min

50.00 g Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days

US-05 yeast

Is there anything that might stand out as overpowering the rye or did I not put in enough rye perhaps? Any thoughts would be appreciated! It's certainly tasty enough, no complaints at all but I wanted a rye IPA!

Cheers

welly

In an IPA, unless you put a large proportion I don't think you'll get that much rye flavour. You should get some of the slick mouthfeel contribution though.

I love rye.

Too much crystal, not enough rye.
Not that I'm experienced brewing with rye but not enough rye to the eye.

Aye.

like manticle said. Too much crystal.
while its bee a couple of years since I've done a rye IPA in pretty sure i used to use 1kg rye, 4kg ale or Vienna and 250g standard crystal.
i can taste and feel the rye in those amounts

Looks to be enough Rye (about 17%) but that looks to be an over complicated malt bill for an IPA for mine. I reckon, the crystal, sp B (does that belong in an IPA?) Abbey and Vienna are covering it up too much.

75% Pale, 20% Rye and 5% Crystal would be what I would go for.

Cheers all. Yeah, it was a bit of experimentation. It's still tasting like a good drop but not to worry. I'll line it up again with a bit less of everything and minimalise it a bit more!

I'm drunk. I wish everyone would post recipes with % of the grain bill. I cant work out how much rye %-wise is in the recipe. I see someone said 17%.
Well 17% should be enough. I did a 15% rye in a bitter and it was too much as it aged. Good early on, but didnt age well.
If its not what you like fresh and at 17%, then something else is dominating. Probably the special B. Mind you, some big hops in there too.
Looks like a tasty beer without the rye. If you want the rye to shine, you need to back off with the other 'big' ingredients.

mckenry said:
I'm drunk. I wish everyone would post recipes with % of the grain bill. I cant work out how much rye %-wise is in the recipe. I see someone said 17%.
Well 17% should be enough. I did a 15% rye in a bitter and it was too much as it aged. Good early on, but didnt age well.
If its not what you like fresh and at 17%, then something else is dominating. Probably the special B. Mind you, some big hops in there too.
Looks like a tasty beer without the rye. If you want the rye to shine, you need to back off with the other 'big' ingredients.
I actually deleted the % values. That was stoopid. Yep, 17% rye. I'll know better when it's in the keg and then shortly after in my mouth to know what's what.

@17% it should be the show, how ever as stated the spec B and abbey malt would be coming through more than the dry spiceness of the rye.

Why did you use those 2 malts with this style of beer? Spec b and abbey?

Pratty1 said:
Why did you use those 2 malts with this style of beer? Spec b and abbey?
A good question... to which I have no answer. Partly just to use them. Who knows what I was thinking! :chug:

welly2 said:
A good question... to which I have no answer. Partly just to use them. Who knows what I was thinking! :chug:
Fair enough, mark it down to learning.

On the remake, just drop the spec b and abbey malt, I'd even half the crystal malt to around 2-3%.

Don't be afraid to grind your rye very fine. I found I got a lot more noticeable rye character doing this. I scored an old electric flour mill off a mate and use it for my rye on the coarsest setting. Looks almost like wholemeal flour when it comes out.

I noticed the same thing.
When I grind the whole grist I found the rye wasn't really cracked because of its smaller size.
When I ground the rye separately it not only boosted the gravity (40%rye) but the rye flavour came through much more.

mckenry said:
I'm drunk. I wish everyone would post recipes with % of the grain bill. I cant work out how much rye %-wise is in the recipe.
Gota agree there brother

Camo6 said:
Don't be afraid to grind your rye very fine. I found I got a lot more noticeable rye character doing this. I scored an old electric flour mill off a mate and use it for my rye on the coarsest setting. Looks almost like wholemeal flour when it comes out.
You should mill your rye seperately and close the mill gap up if milling

Rye is notorious for being the spwan of the devil when sparging

Agree with what everyone else has said here but would add that Special B is a pretty powerful crystal malt and will easily overshadow other characters. Another way to up the rye oomph is to add some flaked rye. That should add some rye spiciness.

Things like rye (spices also come to mind) are better the be cautious with when using them for the first few times. It's easy to add more next time, however difficult to take it away from the completed product. If it isn't enough, try increasing the amount by ~1% of the grain bill until you get it right. If it's not quite enough, you've still made beer.

JD

Back