Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

Rusty Flavour

Discussion in 'General Brewing Techniques' started by hando, 22/2/12.

1. hando

Home Page:
    Posted 22/2/12
    Hi all,

I should start by saying that I don't really know how to properly "taste" beer. Diacetyl? wouldn't have a clue. But I often crack open a beer and taste rusty flavour. Not just homebrew either. Sometimes I'll open a bottle of commercailly made Coopers and taste the same. Lat time I brewed a lager I tasted it also.

Any ideas?

2. felten

Homebrew Conjecturist

Home Page:
    Posted 22/2/12
    All the google responses for metallic off-flavour say it's from contact with unprotected metals, but that should not be a problem with commercial beer at all. (and at home, unless you're doing something wrong)

I've had quite a few guinness cans from the local that tasted very metallic, which I put down to poor storage and handling.

3. hando

Home Page:
    Posted 3/3/12
    Just stumbled across this webpage which expands on what felten said. In the case of my homebrew: I filter the water, and I don't have any stainless or aluminium in the process (excluding the kegs - but I was talking bottled anyway). Maybe it is the crown seals...

I imagine that the longer length of time in the bottle with homebrews and Coopers being bottle conditioned. There would be more contact time with the crown seal. I know they're plastic coated on the inside, but I've noticed that they can leave a rusty stain on the bench-top where I spray the sanitiser on them.

Has anyone else noticed this "rusty" flavour in Coopers?

BTW I don't notice it all the time, only occasionally, and for the record, I like Coopers beers - I've got nothing against them! ;)

4. mika

Lupulin Threshold Shift Victim

Home Page:
    Posted 3/3/12
    Presuming you're drinking direct from the bottle, wipe the top with a damp cloth before taking a swig and see if that makes a difference. Worked for me on the LCPA bottles.

5. soupdragon

Posted 3/3/12
    Hi there

I can't comment on the shop bought stuff but I've just started using a no rinse cleaner called Chemipro Oxi. There are others available that work in a similar way. I started to detect a metallic flavour in my beer. Turns out it's not quite as no rinse as I thought. As soon as I started flushing my kegs before filling, the metallic taste has now gone from my beer :)

Hope this is of help to you

Cheers Tom

Draft saved Draft deleted