Rusty Flavour

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hando

Reaction score
Hi all,

I should start by saying that I don't really know how to properly "taste" beer. Diacetyl? wouldn't have a clue. But I often crack open a beer and taste rusty flavour. Not just homebrew either. Sometimes I'll open a bottle of commercailly made Coopers and taste the same. Lat time I brewed a lager I tasted it also.

Any ideas?

All the google responses for metallic off-flavour say it's from contact with unprotected metals, but that should not be a problem with commercial beer at all. (and at home, unless you're doing something wrong)

I've had quite a few guinness cans from the local that tasted very metallic, which I put down to poor storage and handling.

Just stumbled across this webpage which expands on what felten said. In the case of my homebrew: I filter the water, and I don't have any stainless or aluminium in the process (excluding the kegs - but I was talking bottled anyway). Maybe it is the crown seals...

I imagine that the longer length of time in the bottle with homebrews and Coopers being bottle conditioned. There would be more contact time with the crown seal. I know they're plastic coated on the inside, but I've noticed that they can leave a rusty stain on the bench-top where I spray the sanitiser on them.

Has anyone else noticed this "rusty" flavour in Coopers?

BTW I don't notice it all the time, only occasionally, and for the record, I like Coopers beers - I've got nothing against them! ;)

Presuming you're drinking direct from the bottle, wipe the top with a damp cloth before taking a swig and see if that makes a difference. Worked for me on the LCPA bottles.

I often crack open a beer and taste rusty flavour.

Hi there

I can't comment on the shop bought stuff but I've just started using a no rinse cleaner called Chemipro Oxi. There are others available that work in a similar way. I started to detect a metallic flavour in my beer. Turns out it's not quite as no rinse as I thought. As soon as I started flushing my kegs before filling, the metallic taste has now gone from my beer :)

Hope this is of help to you

Cheers Tom

Latest posts

Back