Ross's Summer Ale .. Very Cloudy Wort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

braufrau

Autumn Leaf Brewery
Reaction score
I've just put my first Ross's Summer Ale into the fermenter and while i was transferring the wort I realised it was really cloudy.
Is that because of the torrefied wheat? Is it going to be a problem? Will all that stuff sink to the bottom of the fermenter after 2 weeks?
I was using my new mash tun and it wasn't the most straight forward thing. When I took apart the false bottom there was a lot of grain wedged in there! And I couldn't get a really clear wort when I recirculated. :(

Sounds like you're getting some flour through your tun if it was cloudy transferring. It may not fall out on its own but I'd wager gelatine or filtering would fix it.

Probably some very fine grain got through. the mash wasnt acting as the filter it should have. The beer will be fine ferment, and drink as usual

I say blame ross....... its all his fault! :)

Actually .. I think it may be cold break. It was cloudier coming out of the kettle than going in. Is that a Marris Otter thing perhaps?

I wouldn't worry about cloudiness at the start of fermentation - you will probably find it all drops out. Time (or is it patience) is one of the most useful tools in the brewery!

I find my wheat beers have clarified exceptionally well (yeah, a lot of people seem to think a wheat beer is meant to be inherently cloudy - forgetting that association comes from suspended yeast in a weizen)

Relax, and all that.

I've just put my first Ross's Summer Ale into the fermenter and while i was transferring the wort I realised it was really cloudy.
Is that because of the torrefied wheat? Is it going to be a problem? Will all that stuff sink to the bottom of the fermenter after 2 weeks?
I was using my new mash tun and it wasn't the most straight forward thing. When I took apart the false bottom there was a lot of grain wedged in there! And I couldn't get a really clear wort when I recirculated. :(

Thats Ok BrauFrau ,I am sure it will be OK

Of course there will be grain stuck in the False bottom you did put in six kilo of grain in the mash tun what would you expect to be stuck in the false bottom ;)

Bits will get into the Kettle with A False bottom its not an issue just dont forget to Scum Skimoff the top .

A 90 min boil will ensure nice clear wort /beer next time .

Just dont worry it will taste like beer when it is finished

The yeast will eat up all that stuff and whats left Chill and filter or Gelitine finings .

We worry so much about our beer, all we are going to do is pour it down our throats then down the drain

Pumpy :)

:icon_offtopic:

I brewed an Oktoberfest yesterday and dumped it into a fermenting cube this morning, first time ever ive had crystal clear wort :) No idea why tho :p

Thats Ok BrauFrau ,I am sure it will be OK

Thanks .. feeling calmer now. Brewing is so stressful!

Of course there will be grain stuck in the False bottom you did put in six kilo of grain in the mash tun what would you expect to be stuck in the false bottom ;)
Ummm .. I would have thought the false bottom acted as a barrier between the grain and the tap. That was certainly the case with my dear old bucket in bucket. Maybe I was too hasty chucking the inside bucket in the bin!

Bits will get into the Kettle with A False bottom its not an issue just dont forget to Scum Skimoff the top .
Yes I'm a skimmer.

A 90 min boil will ensure nice clear wort /beer next time .
Well it as 80min.

The yeast will eat up all that stuff and whats left Chill and filter or Gelitine finings .
I've never had to worry about finings before .. is this AG thing a retrograde step then?

No .. now I'm depressed again!

I had a similar problem when I made my version of it as well, very cloudy wort!

Came out of fermenter quite cloudy as well, two days in the fridge to crash the yeast out, one teaspoon of gelatine and into the keg.

Tried it last night out of the tap, almost fully carbed and bright as, almost commercially bright.

OK. I think it must be a Marris Otter thing ... I'll try the gelatine, but I can't refrigerate it .. no fridge.

The false bottom isnt 100% sealed so its always going to trap grain in there.

Never having used torrified wheat i cant comment on the clarity but i do know with the false bottom in my setup i recirculate less than 1L and get a clear runoff.

As for clearing beers, the more wheat you use the longer i find it needs to clear. I take it you dont/cant lager/cold condition? After a few weeks at 0-1C i normally find my beer is pretty clear altho gelatine/polyclar gives me bright beer very quickly.

Thanks .. feeling calmer now. Brewing is so stressful!

.. is this AG thing a retrograde step then?

.. now I'm depressed again!

Brau Frau you need councelling 'its only beer'

Do be hard on yourself ,Hey it does takes a bit of practice to get things right .

Generally it not the things in life that you worry about, that cause you the real problems .

Now I'm hovering around the airlock like a total newbie! There's no krausen, just bubbles. 24hours! WTH??
I used 1/4 cup of slurry from the previous batch I was bottling yesterday, so fresh out of the fermenter. That should be OK shouldn't it? Its at 19C.
Oh wait ... I should have pitched 1/2 a cup .. but still .. oh well .. I will hover some more.

My first attempt at Ross's summer ale I couldn't get Torrified wheat so instead I used "rolled wheat" which I was told had been steamed prior to rolling therefore suitable to go straight in to the mash and that brew turned out quite clear without cold conditioning.

In the subsequent two brews I have made I have used torrified wheat and both of those brews have turned out cloudy. So it must be something to do with torrified wheat or the milling/grinding process causing too much flour because in the firts brew I just chucked the rolled wheat into the mash without passing it through the mill.

Cheers

wobbly

Now I'm hovering around the airlock like a total newbie! There's no krausen, just bubbles. 24hours! WTH??
I used 1/4 cup of slurry from the previous batch I was bottling yesterday, so fresh out of the fermenter. That should be OK shouldn't it? Its at 19C.
Oh wait ... I should have pitched 1/2 a cup .. but still .. oh well .. I will hover some more.

Hey i reckon we being strung along by Brau Frau 'nobody could be that pedantic'

I can see this fermenter in bed with BrauFrau being given a warm hug

Watch pot never boils

even if you put a teaspoonful of yeast in it would start bubbling one day

Suggests you have a becks and a lay down BrauFrau

A becks or a bex??

No I'm not stringing you along .. I've just fallen out of my tree temporarily. I obviously don't brew often enough.

Anyway, its bubbling now .. must have heard me typing! I'll relax and have a sparkling shiraz and a good lie down!

Latest posts

Back