Wort cloudy after whirlpool hop addition- BIAB

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kierent

Reaction score
Hi all
I have done many BIAB no chill brews and have been pretty happy with my usual wort clarity after a good whirlpool. However I did a brew tonight that used whirlpool hops and my BeerSmith calcs were based on a 90degC whirlpool. So I put my whirlfloc in with 10 min of boil to go as usual, but then when the boil finished I had to wait about 20 min for the temp to drop to 90. By that time the wort was already looking clear, but I added my hops, gave it a good stir for the whirlpool and left it another 20min as per my calcs and the recipe.

When I came back the brew was real cloudy. When I drained it into the cube there was still hot break in the bottom, so it had fined a bit, but a much less compact cone than usual so I had to leave quite a bit behind to avoid getting too much hot break. I'm wondering if there's a better way to add whirlpool hops at 90 but still get a clear wort?

I'm not too worried, I know many guys put heaps of hot break in the cube and tip it all in the fermenter and it's fine, but I do like a clear wort :)
Thanks

Yeah, i had the lid on while it cooled from boiling to 90c. That was when it cleared up. The issue was, when I put my hops in and whirplooled it, it mixed it all up again and during the next 20 minutes of hop time, it didn't clear up again. Maybe I don't need to stir it once I add my hops? Maybe I could whirlpool at flameout, leave it to cool, then drop the hops in at 90 and leave it for 20. I'm just not sure the hops will really spread their flavour and aroma if they're just sprinkled through the wort

The hops will release their oils, no need to stir I have tried lots of different method but the helix is the best and you will leave a couple of litres of wort behind, no way to avoid that.

008.JPG

What a pretty fermenter! Jealous :)
Thanks for that, I'll try that next time, just whirlpooling straight off and sprinkling the hops in once temp is right. I always allow a couple of L of trub but last night I definitely had to leave more than usual. Ah well live and learn.

Back