Ross's Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on your hop utilisation, but it can come out fairly bitter with the NS. Not sure that I'd use it as the 60min addition. Maybe move to something softer. I used NB, but I'd think about something even milder.

Also maybe get rid of the 20min addition and add it to the 0min addition.

Don't worry about the calculated IBU's, it'll come out bitter enough.

Mine was great out of the keg for the first week and then the hop aroma just died out. Not really sure why.

As for the wheat, don't know. I didn't use Torrified.

mmm. good call on the 60 minute... i have hmmm, cascade, tettnager, perle and fuggles/goldings on hand that i can use.. no NB though ... perhaps the cascade?

I've read the topic and seen the response that the grains could be substituted for LME only. I also plan to do this beer with extract. But does anyone think I could benefit from steeping some grains? Maybe carapils (4 EBC) and light crystal (30 EBC)? Suggestions for quantities to go with 3.4kg of LME? Could or should I add some wheat and/or lager malt as well? Just while I'm at it, howcome I often see wheat (and other malts that need to be mashed) in a extract and grain recipe (not partial, just steeped)? If I plan to steep only, would I benefit from some say wheat in there as well?

Wheat malt is a base malt and needs to be mashed to get the sugars out of the grain. If you steep this malt you will most probably just and up with a starch haze in your beer. Roasted grains (chocolate, crystal, caramalt etc) do not need to be mashed and are steeped in beers to add colour and flavour.

As for the recipe I have not made this beer. I would make the beer as it is listed and use it as your base point. If you want to steep some grain in your next recipe than you will know what effect this has, as you have already made the original.

Kabooby :)

I've read the topic and seen the response that the grains could be substituted for LME only. I also plan to do this beer with extract. But does anyone think I could benefit from steeping some grains? Maybe carapils (4 EBC) and light crystal (30 EBC)? Suggestions for quantities to go with 3.4kg of LME? Could or should I add some wheat and/or lager malt as well? Just while I'm at it, howcome I often see wheat (and other malts that need to be mashed) in a extract and grain recipe (not partial, just steeped)? If I plan to steep only, would I benefit from some say wheat in there as well?

I wouldn't worry about the wheat or lager malt, especially if you are using carapils. I would suggest you steep 150-200g carapils and maybe 100g crystal. You could omit the crystal but it would be a nice touch.

Specialty grains always add character to an extract beer in my book...

I know it is common to see wheat in these recipes but it is incorrect, unless they have very specific steeping instructions. A mash is essentially temperature controlled steeping so if you do want to use wheat, and its presence in recipes such as this or other ales is mainly about head retention, which the carapils also serves to do, then you need to steep it at around 65-70C for 30 minutes or so. If you can keep your steep at around that temperature, then you are essentially mashing the grain. Carapils and crystal can be simply steeped.

This is a great recipe, if only because of the nature of the hop, but it can be used with any hop really. Ross uses this or similar as a base for single hop summer ales to try to get a taste for that particular hop.

I added some Pride of Ringwood to mine, for bittering, and it is very tasty but all NS is great too...

Thanks guys Im going to steep the cara pils and light crystal then. It will be my fourth homebrew. Three were extract and grain and one was a partial.

Thanks guys Im going to steep the cara pils and light crystal then. It will be my fourth homebrew. Three were extract and grain and one was a partial.

You won't be disappointed, this hop is really tasty. I'm drinking a 50-50 wheat/ale extract beer (with some medium crystal added for a bit of depth) with NS added at 15, 10, 0 (to 34IBUs) and there is heaps of flavour. Looking forward to trying this one with a curry :beer: .

You won't be disappointed, this hop is really tasty.

I concur! I have 90grams of NS hop flowers sitting under my desk (delivered this morning from Ross & Josh). Looks like some Summer Ale on the way...

The way my GF leaves the heater on in Winter at our place...it's Summer all year round anyway.

so..here it is the "retouched":

second chance summa ale
Beer Style: Blonde Ale
Recipe Type: Extract

48% 1.500 Muntons Extra Light Malt Extract info 309 3
32% 1.000 Muntons Wheat DME info 309 3
13% 0.400 Crystal 150L info 267 150
8% 0.250 Cara-Pils/Dextrine info 259 2
Batch size: 18.9 liters
(Boil: 11.0 avg liters for 60 minutes )
hops
use time grams variety form aa
boil 60 mins 30 Cascade info plug 5.5
boil 15 mins 15 Cascade info plug 5.5
boil 15 mins 15 Nelson Sauvin info plug 12.0
boil 1 min 10 Nelson Sauvin info plug 12.0
boil 1 min 10 Cascade info plug 5.5

yeast
Safale US-05 Dry Yeast

Original Gravity
(1.043 to 1.050)
Final Gravity
(1.011 to 1.014)
Color
15 SRM / 30 EBC
(Light Brown to Medium Brown)

itterness
27.4 IBU / 6 HBU
: Tinseth
BU:GU

Alcohol
4.8% ABV / 4% ABW
Calories
162 per 12 oz.

http://hopville.com/recipe/493065/blond ... ond-chance
Any comment?!?

so..here it is the "retouched":

second chance summa ale
Beer Style: Blonde Ale
Recipe Type: Extract

48% 1.500 Muntons Extra Light Malt Extract info 309 3
32% 1.000 Muntons Wheat DME info 309 3
13% 0.400 Crystal 150L info 267 150
8% 0.250 Cara-Pils/Dextrine info 259 2
Batch size: 18.9 liters
(Boil: 11.0 avg liters for 60 minutes )
hops
boil 60 mins 30 Cascade info plug 5.5
boil 15 mins 15 Cascade info plug 5.5
boil 15 mins 15 Nelson Sauvin info plug 12.0
boil 1 min 10 Nelson Sauvin info plug 12.0
boil 1 min 10 Cascade info plug 5.5

yeast
Safale US-05 Dry Yeast

Original Gravity
(1.043 to 1.050)
Final Gravity
(1.011 to 1.014)
Color
15 SRM / 30 EBC
(Light Brown to Medium Brown)

itterness
27.4 IBU / 6 HBU
: Tinseth
BU:GU

Alcohol
4.8% ABV / 4% ABW
Calories
162 per 12 oz.

http://hopville.com/recipe/493065/blond ... ond-chance
Any comment?!?

Good on you for using hopville. Between that and qbrew, we shouldn't have to pay for beersmith or any other program.

This looks seriously good.

All this mention of Nelson Sauvin (one of my fave hops, but haven't used it for a few months) has got me thinking I should concoct a malty brown ale with Citra and Nelson Sauvin, with some British hops for aroma. Make a great autumn beer.

Goomba

Good on you for using hopville. Between that and qbrew, we shouldn't have to pay for beersmith or any other program.

This looks seriously good.

All this mention of Nelson Sauvin (one of my fave hops, but haven't used it for a few months) has got me thinking I should concoct a malty brown ale with Citra and Nelson Sauvin, with some British hops for aroma. Make a great autumn beer.

Goomba
thanx mate!
;)

Hi guys finally my 2summer Ale" project become a APA..here is the recipe:

2.400 Light Dry Malt Extract info 376 8
10% 0.300 Cara-Pils/Dextrine info 259 2
7% 0.200 Crystal 200L info 259 200
Batch size: 17.5 liters

hops
boil 60 mins 40 Cascade info plug 7.9
boil 15 mins 15 Nelson Sauvin info pellet 10.9
boil 15 mins 15 Cascade info plug 7.9
boil 1 min 15 Cascade info plug 7.9
boil 1 min 15 Nelson Sauvin info pellet 10.9
dry hop 7 days 15 Cascade info plug 7.9
Boil: 11.0 avg liters for 60 minutes

yeast
Fermentis US-05
OG: 1051
http://hopville.com/recipe/495857/ameri ... 3rd-stream

Now is fermenting: lovely bubbling
;)

I brewed this a while ago (BIAB NC). Thanks Ross, really nice beer.

After about a month in the keg, I wanted more aroma, so I dry hopped one part keg and used a hop tea in the other (almost full) keg. DH was approx 1.5-2g/L and was fantastic, I left the bag in with no noticeable unwanted aromatics or flavours (but that part keg did evaporate quickly lol).

Into the other keg I added a NS hop tea, I added a cup boiling water to 21g of NS in a coffee plunger, let it infuse for about 30 seconds, pushed down the strainer and added it to the keg (approx 17L of NS Summer Ale in the keg, at 3C). Then I added another cup of near boiling water (same kettle, didn't reboil it) to the hops and did a second cup infused for about 30 seconds and added that too.

After a couple of days the hop tea keg was a bit harsh and definitely had some grassy flavour. After a week though the harshness and grassy flavour is gone, it's lovely.

So my findings so far, DH gives amazing aroma, but it seemed to fade fairly quickly. The hop tea didn't provide as much aroma but definitely provided some flavour and a little bitterness that mellowed beautifully.

So they are both tied imo, depending on what I want in future brews I'd definitely use both methods.

Next time I'll try DH after initial fermentation, as most folks seem to suggest that, Perhaps it would help the aroma last longer?

Can someone please pm me this recipe. I can't for the life of me open it! It keeps saying error

Kinky no wormy

Hello!? That should be links no worry

FFS links no wormy

linky no worky

I don't understand something with this recipe.
5.6kgs of grain only gives me an OG of 1.050 at 75% efficiency. How the fark does Ross get 1.050 from 4.9 kgs at 75% efficiency.

Steve

Thanks mate, I do 25 final boil volume not 23 litres. The drugs are really kicking in today.

Latest posts

Back