Rossco Get's His Wrists Slapped.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If some of these kits are so damn good, why do I make crap beer with them, but can make great all-grain beer?

My local HBS kept telling me that AG brewing produced no noticable difference in beer and that the extra effort wasn't worth it. Kept doing K&K's for about 10 years because of that.

Too right! Thanks to Ross, I'm now drinking my first 'drinkable' home brew and it's far better than anything commercial I have ever tasted in it's category. This has been my third go at home brewing over 20 years. To get a good, let alone great beer*, AG is far easier and less risky than kits and partials without a doubt. All you need is someone to show you how. (Thank God I was able to skip the partial stage.)

Ross - Can't remember the author of this quote but he sold millions of books. He said something like, "Some years ago, I received constant criticism. Now I receive none and therefore I deduce that I must be slipping." I love that quote! Tell that to Morgans. ;)

*OldDog - Your's is the only kit beer I've ever had without even a hint of 'kit twang' - you are the Master Kit Brewer!

Oh dear :( seems to be some individuals are intent on keeping us in the dark ages..... fortunately I haven't met any of them on this forum :D

Give 'em hell Ross :beer:

BrissyBrew said:
The kit and kilo market is what gives home brew "the stigma". We all know what it is like to be branded with it. We have all probably spent some time trying to explain to people. Yes it tastes good. Or reactions that does not taste like home brew. Which really means that does not taste like a "simple" kit and kilo.
[post="128605"][/post]​

Thats to tru Frank, im sick of people who drink VB telling me what I should brew!!

Anyway, goog on you Ross, I and many of us here have taken our brewing to the next (uncomplicated) level thanks to yourself and other on this forum.

Cheers, Sloth. :beer:

Hi all,

My experiences in business is that when an opposition company in an allied industry complain about what you are doing, then it usually is a good indication that it is more likely what they are NOT doing.

I have had quality problems with a Morgans product (not those kegs, that is another issue) and after calls to them I was told to deal with the local supplier. I did so and he was as helpful as I believe he could be but in the end I got no satisfaction at all.

So I say to Morgans, "bad luck, stiff -you know what, and just deal with the fact that competition will exist and people will shop where they get the best product, correctly labelled goods, with a back up, and last but not least, civility in both the transaction and the complaint handling.

Oh! and IMO the person I spoke to at Morgans was keeping a good bloke out of a job.

Cheers

whats his phone number ross

I want to ring him up tomorrow :)

Yeah hi...... i was reading something this guy ross posted on the net saying that morgans kits can be improved by the use of 13g of hallertauer and 9.5g of tetnanger in a 7 minuite steep with a cinomon stick and 3 red chillies thrown in. Is this true?

And he said your yeast is nitrogen purged...... can you send me a detailed chemical analisis of the air inside the yeast pack to prove this?

Oh ...... you cant confirn this.........well your products taste like doggy poop soup anyway. In giving up on home brewing, its too complicated.

:) it could be fun but im a trouble maker at heart :)

cheers

Bad buisness on mogans behalf.. if that was their head sales guy then I one can only guess what a regular sales person would be like.

What an excellent example of the Internet as a great leveller.

More power to the craft brewers! :p

Scott

The more I think about it the more I'm convinced I'm getting the same treatment up this way re: kit and kilo verses AG.
When I first mentioned AG and my desire to buy grain the respose was that it was all too hard and not cost effective for this area - no dramas, there is always BusFreight from down south.
Mentioned the other day that my AG set up was coming along nicely and should be up and running within the next few months - response - unless it is all working right you'll end up with nothing but trouble...........Mmmmm nothing positive in these replies.
Keep up the great work Ross, AHB and AG'ers in general.
Cheers
nt
:beer:

Hope you gave it back to him Ross! Since I've come in contact with you over this forum you have been nothing but a great help! In all aspects of brewing not just about purged yeasts!
Keep up the good work mate!

Cheers,
Andrew

I want to purchase some morgans products, but I can't see the availability at crafterbrewer.com.au

kirem said:
I want to purchase some morgans products, but I can't see the availability at crafterbrewer.com.au
[post="128681"][/post]​

Thats the phone call right there !!!!

finished off with..."when do you think they'll be stocking it??"

Morgans? Well i guess this happy KK brewer will just happen to miss those ones on the shelf...

Good Day
When it comes to brewing I have found complicated to be simple and simple to be usually very complicated. Simple no name yeast makes brewing complicated in too many cases.

NTboozer its the same in Cairns, infact I am now wondering if one of the 2 hbs in Cairns is in fact owned or at lest run by morgans.

Go hard Ross.. I'm with the others here in saying that thanks to you I'm moving on and aiming for better brews, ag might be a while but better yeasts and hops are on there way (thanks again) and the ply for my brew box arived last night... I would say we are lucky to have you around keeping them honest .. Stick it too them ..

:beer:

Crazy said:
bindi said:
I know where your coming from Ross only in a smaller way, last year I went to a large HBS north of Brisbane last year [no names, no courtmartial <_< ] and asked about grains and yeast etc, he asked me 'what do you brew?' I said I am into AG, the reply was, Quote: "Your one of those", after that he did not want to know me :(
[post="128593"][/post]​

Is the next step from here the Gay, Lesbian and AGers parades down in sydney with all the other "One of Those"'s

Derrick

AG and proud
[post="128596"][/post]​
That's a great idea Derrick! We should have an All Grain and Partial Mash Mardis Gras! We can parade giant floats down main street covered in hop vines throwing handfulls of malt and free pH strips into the crowd! :lol: Ross could dress really skimpily in a hop flower bikini and dance with a pint of schwartzbier in his mitt!

Cheers - Snow

Snow said:
We should have an All Grain and Partial Mash Mardis Gras! We can parade giant floats down main street covered in hop vines throwing handfulls of malt and free pH strips into the crowd! :lol: Ross could dress really skimpily in a hop flower bikini and dance with a pint of schwartzbier in his mitt!
[post="128758"][/post]​
There has been far to much thought in to that suggestion.. getting a little worried. :blink:

Snow in this dream of yours wheres your mash paddle

Drew
there is nothing wrong at all with KK brewing, most AGers are expressing frustration at the fact that certain supply chains don't take AG brewers seriously.
There is nothing to say that with care in procedure an extract brew would be inferoir to AG. In fact in a blind tasting between a bunch of beers made to the same recipe but using grain vs extract brewed by a professional brewer the tasters preferred the extract (Papazian-Homebrewers companion)

Yeah true, but some peoples comments where pretty darn offensive.

Anything that improves the HB scene should be accessible to you's so I fully support you's. - 1 of these days I am hoping to progress down that direction a little, probably not all way AG, but adding grains and such would be nice, already hop and use dif yeasts

I unreservedly apologise if my comments caused offense.

The target of my posts was certain home brew stores which paint anything beyond K&K (including extract brewing) as "too difficult", not kit brewers.

In my early days of brewing, I was on the receiving end of "why do you want to make things complicated" type advice from a HBS when I just wanted to improve my kit beers a bit (this was long before I had any thoughts of partial mash, let alone all-grain).

I ended up giving up on any form of local support until I found the club I'm in, but even there I have had problems with some people complaining about "making things too complex". To this day I get most of my brewing info from the internet (this site, OzCb although much less these days, rec.crafts.brewing newsgroup, and John Palmer's www.howtobrew.com)

If Brisbane had a local HBS of the calibre of some in Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide or Canberra it would be a different story, although there is one store on the south side which is run by an accomplished mash brewer and where good advice may be found.

Back