Rossco Get's His Wrists Slapped.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

CraftBrewer
Reaction score
Just got off the phone from Morgan's head sales guy - checking that their Brew Cellar range of dried yeasts are nitrogen flushed (which they are) & he said - "Are you that Ross guy that gets on all the beer forums?" He then proceeded to tell me off - Say's he keeps getting people ringing him with questions (which I guess he doesn't know the answers to - lol) & reckons I make brewing complicated which puts people off brewing. He said it's the last thing the brewing industry needs...

Guess they'd rather everyone stuck with their kits & didn't ask questions ;)

Just had to share it... :)

Cheers Ross

Excellent! Cheers Ross - that made me laugh. My brewing over the past 18 months has come on in leaps and bounds thanks to you Ross,....and yep, guess what I used to brew? Morgans! hahahahah :D
Cheers
Steve

Oh good heavens.

That's the exact attitude I've run into in several places (including within clubs), and it just makes me sick.

This isn't 1980, and we're not still sticking a sachet of no-name dried yeast into a can of gloop with a kilo of CSR's best, then cranking the heat belt up to 30C.

Ross - you will do well indeed if you stay exactly as you are.

If some of these kits are so damn good, why do I make crap beer with them, but can make great all-grain beer?

Nice one Ross! :beerbang:

Cheers to that :beer: , if that isn't recognition of your greatness I don't know what is!

Gotta tell ya mate, whenever i post (or read a post) digging for information to advance my own brewing techniques I always hope to find your opinion there somewhere. I value your help and knowledge greatly. You rock man! ;)

JS

Ross said:
Just got off the phone from Morgan's head sales guy - checking that their Brew Cellar range of dried yeasts are nitrogen flushed (which they are) & he said - "Are you that Ross guy that gets on all the beer forums?" He then proceeded to tell me off - Say's he keeps getting people ringing him with questions (which I guess he doesn't know the answers to - lol) & reckons I make brewing complicated which puts people off brewing. He said it's the last thing the brewing industry needs...

Guess they'd rather everyone stuck with their kits & didn't ask questions ;)

Just had to share it... :)

Cheers Ross
[post="128525"][/post]​

And here's me thinking it was the amount of beer I drink on brew day that made it complicated when all along it was you Ross. :D Lucky all you got is a telling off.

PS All the problems caused by a lack of attention and too much beer dosn't seem to have affected Fridays Brews.

Derrick

Look out man, you've upset the brew shop mafia!

Classic! Complicated beer making procedures putting the big boys to shame is throwing people off brewing?

No, doing what the can says puts most people off brewing after the first couple of times!

Edit: whoa, that's a lot of quick responses!

Apparently making beer by the time honoured methods of generations, using the same techniques and ingredients as real breweries is "complicated".

Lest I start sounding too much of a mash snob, like just about everyone I started off with kits, then went through a natural progression of extract & grains, etc. leading to all-grain.

At first it seemed horrendously complicated, but with over 50 all-grain batches under my belt, and changes to simplify my system, it has become easy indeed.

Can't wait to pick up the Morgans newsletter at my local HBS. I reckon we should all call the Morgan's Hot-line!
James

Dear Morgans Hotline, my airlock isn't bubbling, should I be worried? :blink:

screw him ross.

I really enjoy his choice of words "complicated" implying that by using better techniques and ingredients that you are only making more work for yourself.

Good things only come from hard work. If he has a problem with striving to achive the best results in brewing then he isnt a very good person to represent the industry.

If people want to brew kit and kilo recipes then thats fine and they still produce admarble results. If they want to look a little deeper at least there is somebody there who is willing to share knowledge and help them out.

You've got my vote son. :beerbang:

My local HBS kept telling me that AG brewing produced no noticable difference in beer and that the extra effort wasn't worth it. Kept doing K&K's for about 10 years because of that.

Bloody glad I found this forum with helpful blokes willing to share their knowledge and experience.

Stuff 'em Rossco.

Is this guy serious???? He obviously has no clue whatsoever, since the threads started by, and replies made by you (the ones that I have read), have actually made brewing less complicated imho.

Cheers :)

Stick it to em Ross
without blokes like you people would think there stuff is good. well done.

Cheers Monkale :beerbang:

colinw said:
Dear Morgans Hotline, my airlock isn't bubbling, should I be worried? :blink:
[post="128538"][/post]​

I reckon we should all ring up and start off by saying "This guy called Ross said...".

As far as I'm concerned you can keep on "complicating' things for us as much as you like. :super:

Cheers
Dave

Making real coffee is too complicated, just buy a bottle of nescafe.
Making a cake is too difficult, buy a packet mix.

I suspect that making beers as good as some of my all-grain efforts using kits or extract is possible, but would probably be harder work than just doing it with grains. I put partial mashing in this category - a good stepping stone to all-grain (because the extract covered up some defects like over sparges), but just as much or more work than all-grain.

Ross, I think you should brew a batch of Complicator doppelbock to celebrate your new found status as a tormentor of can kit manufacturers.

Be sure to share the (complicated) recipe with us!

We were discussing Nottingham & Windsor yeasts when it happened - Apparently their English ale yeast is "Windsor" - I said, "it's a shame it's not Nottingham as that's the one most brewers seem to want." " Not according to our reasearch" he retorted "W'ere not just interested in the Qld market". "I'm surprised" I said, "Nottingham is the one that everyone keeps asking for on the brewing forums" - That's when the Penny dropped & he hit me up - He absolutely floored me - I was lost for words, for once :) - I just thanked him for his help & said goodbye...

Ross...

So I guess that means you won't be selling their range of yeasts... ;)

Latest posts

Back