Rochefort 10, Westveletern 12

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
barls said:
what was shipping roughly?
$80 US for 12 pounds, roughly 5.5 kg (12 bags, as they sell by the pound). At the time, when the exchange rate was MUCH more favourable it came out to be roughly equal to buying candi syrups currently available here. It was $159 US all up for 12 pounds and shipping, which is $225 AU today, and $169 AU when I bought them.

It looks like they have some shipping-included deals now for international orders, so it may be a better price now. Perhaps contact their re-seller if you're interested (look at the International value packs text halfway down the page).

I was seriously considering trying to distribute their syrups here. I talked to them about buying in bulk to re-package and they said that flavour would suffer after a month or so, whereas their 1-pound packs stay fresh for at least a year. Based on my experience I'd agree. I opened a pack, used some, left it a couple months, and then compared it to a freshly opened. They have some great subtleties, and adding their golden to pale ales became a favourite of mine, but I don't think the subtleties survive long ferments and long ageing to a degree that makes the extra effort and expense worth it. If I were in the States I'd choose them, hands down, but for the amount of difference they make - to my palate - it's just not worth it to Oz until the price is very close to the syrups currently available here.

Mardoo said:
$80 US for 12 pounds, roughly 5.5 kg (12 bags, as they sell by the pound). At the time, when the exchange rate was MUCH more favourable it came out to be roughly equal to buying candi syrups currently available here. It was $159 US all up for 12 pounds and shipping, which is $225 AU today, and $169 AU when I bought them.

It looks like they have some shipping-included deals now for international orders, so it may be a better price now. Perhaps contact their re-seller if you're interested (look at the International value packs text halfway down the page).

I was seriously considering trying to distribute their syrups here. I talked to them about buying in bulk to re-package and they said that flavour would suffer after a month or so, whereas their 1-pound packs stay fresh for at least a year. Based on my experience I'd agree. I opened a pack, used some, left it a couple months, and then compared it to a freshly opened. They have some great subtleties, and adding their golden to pale ales became a favourite of mine, but I don't think the subtleties survive long ferments and long ageing to a degree that makes the extra effort and expense worth it. If I were in the States I'd choose them, hands down, but for the amount of difference they make - to my palate - it's just not worth it to Oz until the price is very close to the syrups currently available here.
thanks mate.

I'm no expert but when starting all grain a quad was number 1 on my list of styles to brew. I went with White Labs trappist blend (575). I used a lot of Special B and dumped muscovado sugar during primary fermentation. This thing went gangbusters after 12hrs (crash course in blow-off tubes), and fermented all the way down very quickly.

here's my recipe if you'd like a gander - I'd say it sits somewhere between the biscuityness of a round chimay blue and the spice of a rochefort: tastes delicious after three months.

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/990961/you-cant-deny-my-girth

20L batch size

6kg Pilsner
600g Caramunich
500g Special B
300g Aurora
100g Acidulated
100g Carafa
100g Oats

40g Styrian Goldings @ 60min
450g Light Candi Sugar @ flame-out

450g Muscovado sugar @ primary