Roasted Rice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WSC

Reaction score
Watching Poh's kitchen the other night she had an asian tea that also had roasted rice in it.

They mentioned that it had a roasty/smokey flavour.

Anyone used roasted rice in a beer? I know alot use normal rice.

I guess you would roast in the same way you roast/smoke grain?

Just some food for thought. If it works in tea it will work for beer.

Cheers,
Wade

Im thinking and easy way to try it would be using flaked rice from Woolies or Coles and Toasting/roasting it in the oven at home....

Roasted lager??

I could imagine roasted rice would give you quite a smooth roasted character if it were roasted right, because it doesn't have a husk.
Wouldn't be hard to roast it yourself in an oven. Could have good potential in something like a Schwarzbier where you want colour without roasted astringency. Might have to try this out for myself!

I googled and lots of cooking sites say use oil/butter to roast, found one which recommends dry roasting just like nuts in a fry pan.

I guess trial and error will be the best method.

the closest you could make at home is probably toasted rice. They use for some SE Asian dishes which is usually just wok toasted and then ground in a pestle and mortar

The only other rice i can think of is whats used in some 'herbal' japanese teas which seems to be brown toasted and semi puffed like you describe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genmaicha

maybe you can make it this way by pan/wok toasting it on a ultra high heat. if you are lucky enough it might puff and will also get the toasty notes from the wok

Back