Roasted Hemp Seed Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdtnc

Reaction score
How's this sound??
The colour of the hemp seed is guessed and I've not accounted for any extract that might come from it, it was roasted to about the colour of Pale Choc malt or maybe a bit lighter and have been crushed with a rolling pin! I might or might not give it a whizz through the coffee grinder before adding it to the mash. (Choice of manual or electric whizzy thing) :)

Is my amount of Flaked barley ok, or is that out of balance with the other malts?

Hemp Stout

Fermentables:
Golden Promise 1800 grams 63.2%
Flaked Barley 500 grams 17.5%
Roasted Hemp Seed 250 grams 8.8%
Wheat Malt 100 grams 3.5%
Roasted Barley 100 grams 3.5%
Chocolate Malt 100 grams 3.5%

Hops:
Northdown 60 mins 20 grams

Final Volume: 12 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.047
Final Gravity: 1.013
Alcohol Content: 4.4% ABV
Total Liquor: 19.1 Litres
Mash Liquor: 7.1 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 75 %
Bitterness: 33 EBU
Colour: 173 EBC

Out of curiosity - what does the hemp seed do for the beer?

Can't help with the flaked barley - never used it.

Out of curiosity - what does the hemp seed do for the beer?

Can't help with the flaked barley - never used it.

From what I've read, and interesting flavour and a big creamy head due to the oils in the seed :)

From what I've read, and interesting flavour and a big creamy head due to the oils in the seed :)

Pcdnt,

I would have expected that from any seed including bird seeds such as Millet (if oils actually improve head retention)

cheers

darren

rather just boil a big bag of leaf in the brew!! Shazaaaam!

begs the question, can buds be used as replacements for hops? Are they bitter?

Also, can hop leaves be used in beer? In the same way pot leaves don't have the same potency but still do have some potency, maybe hop leaves would give some interesting flavour of some sort?

Also, can hop leaves be used in beer? In the same way pot leaves don't have the same potency but still do have some potency, maybe hop leaves would give some interesting flavour of some sort?
Not so sure about that eh.
Alot of leaves are bitter, some even have a nice fragrance about them, like tomato leaves. But i'm not sure they'd work so well in beer. Possible toxicity issues too...could end up badly! :icon_vomit:

Have you eaten a couple, try some in coffee maybe to get a idea.
Great idea but I hope people don't ruin this thread by asking or talking about cannabis, that would cheapen what might be a legitimate idea.

I'm also interested to know which kinds of oil (like hop oil or hemp oil) aid head retention and which kind might hinder it (eg chocolate, fat etc).

The cannabis discussion should be saved for another forum.

If it is true about head retention, then any millet seed, sunflower seed will probably do the same.

Milletman care to comment?

cheers

Darren

The oils would be soluble in alcohol. I've only heard of the seed oil having use as a varnish.
I'm pretty sure hemp seed was used as an alternative to rice as a protein source somewhere in Chinese History

Beer is generally only low in alcohol. Solubility would only be minor. The interesting point here is that oils like detergent (in a completely opposite way) could increase head retention by holding CO2 into "fat" miscules.

cheers

Darren

Google Braindeath Barleywine. THC is soluble in alcohol and does work. You are basicly making a marijuana tincture when hopping with buds. Probably best to bitter traditionally then dry 'hop' with the buds but I reckon you would need a heap as in the barleywine above.

It is the resin in hop flowers that yield the Alpha Acids etc, I don't believe the leaves would do much.

OK, enough on the pot.

just thought it's worth noting that the hop plant (Humulus Lupulus) and the cannabis plant are closely related, both belong to the Cannabaceae family.

The reference to using the Cannabis flowers or leaves is off topic and if you are going to make a tincture of the oil from the buds you are better off using pure ethanol or overproof rum. It's just a waste of good buds because of the already mentioned low alcohol content of beer. However it will still get you wacked and pissed if you drink enough of it.

Hop leaves are in your pellets, the pellets we get here I believe are T90, the other option is T45 (i think) which bascially has less plant matter and more of the cones, a mate from germany had his dad send him over some T45 Hallertau and they were like 8% AA, I was stunned cos ive only ever seen hallertau at around 4%, but then he explained why...

So the leaves would contain some of the acids id say, much like the marijuana flower contains most of the resins, but some still manages to find its way to the leaves...

Great idea but I hope people don't ruin this thread by asking or talking about cannabis, that would cheapen what might be a legitimate idea.
a couple of posts later where does the thread turn towards..... well done guys

I reckon give it a go. Would be interested to here your results regarding head retention and flavour. Where did you get the seeds from? Ive spent all afternoon wiki'ing gruit etc...so yeah give it a go.
Cheers
Steve

Back