Roast without colour?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevo

Reaction score
Howdy all,

Wondering if anyone has any tips on how to gain roastiness as one might expect in a dark beer, but without the colour contribution?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Kev

kevo said:
Howdy all,

Wondering if anyone has any tips on how to gain roastiness as one might expect in a dark beer, but without the colour contribution?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Kev
Kev, about the only one I know of that does it fairly well without ending up too dark is the Briess Extra Special Malt at about 120L, ends with a pleasant reddish colour, pending how much you use and has bit of roasty/toasty and once you get over about 5%, a hint of plum/prune/marshmallow

Noticeable and really pretty pleasant. Link to Specs

Martin

One of the winners of this year's Scratch Homebrew Showcase brewed a White Stout. He used cold-steeped coffee and cocoa nibs to get what some perceived as a roasty flavour with minimal effect on the colour. I actually perceived the aroma as chilli/capsicum even though there was no heat in the taste, so YYMV. Here's his recipe: http://firetailbeer.blogspot.com.au/2013/08/white-stout.html

tallie said:
One of the winners of this year's Scratch Homebrew Showcase brewed a White Stout. He used cold-steeped coffee and cocoa nibs to get what some perceived as a roasty flavour with minimal effect on the colour. I actually perceived the aroma as chilli/capsicum even though there was no heat in the taste, so YYMV. Here's his recipe: http://firetailbeer.blogspot.com.au/2013/08/white-stout.html
That's exactly what I'm doing!

Made a dry stout recipe - minus the dark malts, then racked the beer onto toasted cacao nibs and whole coffee beans in secondary.

To me, there's too much of the choc coming through and the coffee is becoming astringent. It's not terrible, but lacks a roasty quality that would help to round it out.

Looking at that recipe at the link you have sent Tallie maybe a touch of crystal would add a little sweetness with minimal colour in a future brew...

Colonial from WA did a white stout at GABS this year called "Gary the White'. I would contact them for some tips maybe?

Back