Road Trip

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwmingis

Reaction score
Howwwdy Ya'll,

In about 3 months I'm off to the US for a cross country road trip to celebrate me 30th. Was just wondering if anyone had some good advice for breweries to hit up and beers to keep an eye out for. We'll be heading from North Carolina to Vegas (to get re-married by Elvis btw) via Tennesee, Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, New Mexico, Utah, and Nevada, etc.

Already on the list are ie:

Fat Tyre by New Belgium
Left Hand Pale Ale
La Folie by New Belgium
SNPA
Various Sam Adams

I haven't a clue of any of the micro breweries that would be on the way, would love to hear any ideas.

Much obliged. :icon_cheers:

Rob

Sounds like a blast.

In Salt Lake City Utah, head to Squatters. They are in downtown SLC and make some awesome beers.
Captain Bastards Oatmeal Stout (on nitro) is one of my favs.

Beers,
Doc

Grab that movie - American Beer - it gave a blow by blow account of around 30 micro's. Worth a research viewing, for sure.

Cheers - Mike

Grab that movie - American Beer - it gave a blow by blow account of around 30 micro's. Worth a research viewing, for sure.

Cheers - Mike

Wheres Nige with his awesome torrents?

BB, I'm interested, why are you choosing to go to America, and not some other country, for your 30th ? Sounds like you're wanting it to be memorable (and rightly so! Says this guy who'se on the wrong side of 30). Is it for the beer, is it for the fun of flying off with your beloved and having an Elvis-Styled celebrant?

Doc - interesting that you suggest Salt Lake City for some great beers. Isn't a large percentage of that city's population (Mormons) against the grog. Maybe that beer in Utah should be called "Phoenix"

Doc - interesting that you suggest Salt Lake City for some great beers. Isn't a large percentage of that city's population (Mormons) against the grog. Maybe that beer in Utah should be called "Phoenix"

It is. It is also one of the cities in the US with a very big drug problem.
The city has two very polarised communities :p

Link for Squatters

Beers,
Doc

Watched it some time ago, great show. Just remember not to run over those Mormons on their bikes, they are quite easy to avoid as they wear white shirts and black pants and have that very noticeable black square badge on their chest :lol:

Disclaimer: I once spent a couple of hours naked and sweating with some young naked Mormon missionaries.

Used to go to a gym in Newcastle on Tyne in my 20s and there was a big sauna with ice cold plunge pool and I ended up with about six of them in the sauna. Struck up conversation and top guys, never once tried to preach. Didn't see them in the pub afterwards however :super:

Disclaimer: I once spent a couple of hours naked and sweating with some young naked Mormon missionaries.

Are you still trying to 'flog' your 2009 All-Bri-X Pictorial calendar ? Mate, we're nearly into February.

here is a photo of Bribie in his official secret Mormon underwear:

mitt_ann_romney_mormon_underwear.jpg

slightly OT. ;)

Give this site a go. This lists every microbrewery by state.

Link

Brilliant. Showed it to my wife, and she immediately asked me why I haven't booked the car, apparently I should be doing that and not planning beer stops! :rolleyes: Will have a good look at it, thanks.

BB, I'm interested, why are you choosing to go to America, and not some other country, for your 30th ? Sounds like you're wanting it to be memorable (and rightly so! Says this guy who'se on the wrong side of 30). Is it for the beer, is it for the fun of flying off with your beloved and having an Elvis-Styled celebrant?

Well i'm a yank by birth and it's been years since I've been. My wife, the holiday planner, is facinated with the US (and Elvis, James Dean, etc.) When she couldn't find a small person Elvis, it became a Star Wars wedding (Princess Laia v. Hans Solo complete with lasers fog and Darth Vader Celebrant), and now it's back to Elvis. :p I digress. Didn't think about the beer options until yesterday, now I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas.

Rob

Be careful to plan your route well beforehand, research where you can and can't take beer. Some counties in Texas are dry, Utah has really strange rules too:

http://www.alcbev.state.ut.us/Olympic_Info/oly_faqs.html#5

It's worth researching the laws well beforehand. A few years back a crew of ratebeer guys had a whole boot full of rare, expensive beer they were transporting to the Ratebeer Summer Gathering. They drove through Utah and had it all confiscated and if I remember correctly had to be bailed out!

Be careful to plan your route well beforehand, research where you can and can't take beer. Some counties in Texas are dry, Utah has really strange rules too:

http://www.alcbev.state.ut.us/Olympic_Info/oly_faqs.html#5

It's worth researching the laws well beforehand. A few years back a crew of ratebeer guys had a whole boot full of rare, expensive beer they were transporting to the Ratebeer Summer Gathering. They drove through Utah and had it all confiscated and if I remember correctly had to be bailed out!

Good God man, what century are we living in?!?! Excerpt from website above:

MAY I BRING ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES INTO UTAH ?
No. .....

Utah is a control state ..... Private individuals may not lawfully import or transport them into the state. .... Also, licensed restaurants and private clubs cannot allow patrons to bring wines onto the premises if they were not purchased in Utah.

Real Estate must be soaring there! :blink:

www.stonebrew.com

If you're heading anywhere near these fellas, would be worth checking out.

:icon_cheers: SJ

A few nice beers that have not been mentioned yet....

Anchor Steam
Widmer Heffeweizen

www.stonebrew.com

If you're heading anywhere near these fellas, would be worth checking out.

:icon_cheers: SJ

I have heard of that one, I reckon that's worth a slight detour! So far I've got:
Fat Tyre - New Belgium
La Folie - New Belgium
SNPA
Various Sam Adams
Left Hand Pale Ale
Anchor Steam
Widmer Heffeweizen
Arrogant ******* Ale - Stone brewing Co
Ruination IPA - Stone brewing Co

Seeing that anchor steam reminds me of the last trip there, where I arrived in LA and went to order an Anchor Steam and realised it was only 6:00 am. Shoulda gone for it...

Back