Road Trip

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

Just a quick update, here I am 4 weeks into the road trip.

I love it here, you can go to just about any grocery store, and buy a 6 pack of superb microbrews for around 7 - 8 dollars, sometimes up to 10 bucks for the really good stuff. Sooooo CHEAP!

To put it simply, the beers here are great. There is a heck of a lot more variety and options than what we have in Oz, but I think the quality of Australian brews is on par with what's over here which is a nice surprise. Good to know. The main difference that I have found here is that there is a huge emphasis on hops. Many of the nicer beers are VERY bitter, some of which are over 100 IBU's

Of the ones I've tried, 3 have made an impression worth mentioning (probably more, but can't think at the moment, surprise, 2am after a small quantity of beers):

Abita Amber - Can't describe it, but a nice session beer that doesn't cloy and has lots of flavour

Stone Ruination IPA - HOLY crap, a LOT of flavour. This one is a fairly big beer with +100 IBU's. Probably the most flavourful beer i've ever had

Bar Harbour Blueberry Ale - Well, not a huge fruit flavoured beer fan, but I included this because it surprised me in that it was very drinkable, and not too much Blueberry. Wonderful.

Anyway, just thought I'd put in a quick update, sorry for not having detailed flavour descriptions, but I'm not an expert.

For those interested the route we've taken can be seen here. You can pan and zoom and if you minimise the pane on the left hand side of the screen it's easier to see.

Cheers,

Rob

Watched it some time ago, great show. Just remember not to run over those Mormons on their bikes, they are quite easy to avoid as they wear white shirts and black pants and have that very noticeable black square badge on their chest :lol:

Disclaimer: I once spent a couple of hours naked and sweating with some young naked Mormon missionaries.

Used to go to a gym in Newcastle on Tyne in my 20s and there was a big sauna with ice cold plunge pool and I ended up with about six of them in the sauna. Struck up conversation and top guys, never once tried to preach. Didn't see them in the pub afterwards however :super:

Eeeeewwww, I hope the thought of this doesnt harass me in my sleep tonight

Back