RIP Crown Urn- Onwards & Upwards

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Econwatson

Reaction score
Lady and Gentlemen,

Today my 40L Crown Urn died. I am pretty sure it was because the boil dry feature was disabled by the previous owner. There was a terrible smell during mash out, and then it was dead. Lights still turn on but nobody is home so to speak, ie no heat.

I could get a new element, but I am in the UK now so I imagine shipping a replacement would be rather expensive.

This has made me think to the future. I need a new brewing system short term but I'd also like to get something that I could use later on, in a 3V system for example.

Do you guys have any suggestions about what I should do next? Not ready to move to 3V yet but it would be good to be able to use the vessel later for something.

So what do you think would be best? I thought about upping volume to allow for expansion later. Maybe a 100L pot with a gas burner? If I wanted to stay electric, how would I go about doing it? Would I have to do some welding to fit an element? I'm guessing an over-the side wouldn't work with BIAB.

I am feeling rather emotional with the loss of my Crown 40L Urn but I would appreciate your insight.

Thanks guys!

If you wanted to stay electric I would just throw an element into the urn to bring it back to life. I've used the uxcell.com ones with great success, the new generation Kegking do not have any bad reports that I know off and don't need any wiring, otherwise a 1" or 1 1/4" BSP hot water element with a screw in fitting and a nut would work. I've linked to an Australian ebay HWS element, but I think there would be plenty at the local plubing shops or UK ebay. Otherwise the Camco from Amazon are used in "The Electric Brewery" You will need to ensure the element is suitable for the volts and amps of the GPO.

40L Buffalo boiler. Hero of Pommie BIAB brewers. (edit: see comment #8 in the link)

And what is this "moving on to 3v" you speak of? That would be moving sideways. B)

Thanks guys!

I suppose it would be a waste to get just dump my urn given it's still a good vessel. How would I ensure the same thing doesn't happen again? To be honest I'm not really sure what happened but the plate above the element (I have concealed element urn) was black when I drained the wort out. I was pumping the mash while I was applying heat but perhaps not well enough! Should I have had some sort of rack to keep the bag off the bottom?

I'm not the most practically minded but do you think I could drill and fit a heating element?

Oooh, one more thing, spied this on ebay, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Water-Boiler-40-litre-manual-fill-descaled-great-condition-ready-for-use-/271317413397?pt=UK_BOI_Restaurant_RL&hash=item3f2bc72e15

It's a refurb, but only 25 mins to go. Maybe I should go for it?!

Defiantly use a rack to keep the bag away from the heating element.

The concealed elements are borderline for heat density. Basically the amounts of watts over the amount of surface area. Those Camco come in Low density and even Ultra low density, which are great for wort.

As long as the GPO can handle 2500w. I'm not sure what spec UK runs? Obviously there is some wiring to hook that one up, not sure on the laws in the UK.

Have a read of this thread to see what I've done for some ideas.

That's an inspiring build Kev! Looks fantastic, and is the sort of scale I would like to brew at. I'm particularly interested in a recirculating system, and also moving away using the bag, and towards a malt pipe, it looks a lot easier to handle, and a lot cleaner as well.

Not sure about the plumbing side of it. Perhaps I could ask a plumbing friend to set it up for me? My brother would have all the tools so I suppose I could give it a go myself!

Kev would you say the top or bottom return is more important for the recirculating system? I could see that being a fairly easy way to simplify it a bit, and you could add it on later if you were feeling adventurous!

The plumbing is not that bad to setup. Mine is a mis-match of fittings as I used what ever was in the workshop at the time. If you stay with the low density elements you could get rid of the bottom return, especially if you used that Ultra low density you linked to earlier.

Thanks guys!

I have approached a couple of home brew builders in the UK and asked them to quote me for plumbing such a system since I don't trust myself and some sort of warranty wold be nice!

Matho's controller looks absolutely amazing but it's not something I've ever really looked in to. Does he build them or does it come in a kit?

As requested here is the guts of my deceased Crown urn. Looking at it, it doesn't seem difficult to replace, but finding a suitable replacement would be difficult! :(

FSK7vBk.jpg

I was hoping the wires had melted but it is the element.

This is the reason my next urn won't be a concealed element.

Any idea how old the urn is? Replacements are readily available from crown industries.

I'd suggest this is more an exception than the rule with these units.

Martin

I bought it second hand in March I think and it was a couple of months old then. I would have to get the element shipped to UK as well. Maybe I will give them a call!

I got an one locally a couple of years back to use under my false bottom in my 3V, cost $100 for it. I would not use one again as I think their heat density is a bit too high for wort.

There was a thread a few years back on crown concealed element urns that had been modded suddenly popping.

It appers to be important to keep the element free from build up. IE cleaning with a long spoon during the process.

I to burnt out my element!

Got all replacement parts from crown, the next day, and she's up and running!

I no longer BIAB but use at as my HLT.

Anyways great promp service with express postage!

Latest posts

Back