Rims For Rooting Kings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbirbeck

Reaction score
After years of brewing simply I've recently gone slightly mad and decided to go RIMS. A big thanks to Raven for the help on it, his thread was very useful, as was his on hand assistance but tonight it all gets finalised ready for testing.

I have the Auberins PID, SSR and Heat sink all wired ready to roll with a pt100 probe, a thermal products 1inch BSP 2400W element, and the last piece of the puzzle...RIMS housing

PICT0741.JPG
PICT0742.JPG
PICT0743.JPG
PICT0748.JPG
PICT0751.JPG

I will post up once I have finalised it all including the hoses upgrades with camlocks everywhere...

Giddyup! :icon_cheers: Another convert! :D

I must have this effect on brewers... :beerbang:

so more on my strange sexual fettish. I did a water test last night to see if I could work the PID...and i could. Magically heated the water to the set temp. The temp was still pushing a touch higher on the probe reading passed the set temp but the water in the Mash Tun managed to stay stable and hit temps. A test with grain is next when I have time to actually brew. It will need to be soon as 4 kegs will be drained this weekend for my sister's 30th :eek:

Photos

SNC00284.jpg

SNC00285.jpg

the box holding all the electricals is a nice wooden box I made with a hand saw and drill...the edges aren't too straight but everything fits and its sturdy.

so more on my strange sexual fettish. I did a water test last night to see if I could work the PID...and i could. Magically heated the water to the set temp. The temp was still pushing a touch higher on the probe reading passed the set temp but the water in the Mash Tun managed to stay stable and hit temps. A test with grain is next when I have time to actually brew. It will need to be soon as 4 kegs will be drained this weekend for my sister's 30th :eek:

Photos

View attachment 41307

View attachment 41308

the box holding all the electricals is a nice wooden box I made with a hand saw and drill...the edges aren't too straight but everything fits and its sturdy.

Had a bit more of a play with this over the weekend. Really happy with it. Its ready to roll with a test batch soon (as soon as I can find the time). The first test batch is likely to be an English IPA and perhaps an Irish Red to follow. I think I'm going to like the control over the mash temp I'll have without having to worry about boiling water.

And a big thank you to Emmanuel from stainlessstuff who knocked out the housing for me and I had in within 3 weeks. everything screws in nicely, one of the easiest custom jobs I've ever had. I was originally going to do it using screw together pieces of pipe and T's but the cost was too much and it was proving hard to source the right bits.

And a big thank you to Emmanuel from stainlessstuff who knocked out the housing for me and I had in within 3 weeks. everything screws in nicely, one of the easiest custom jobs I've ever had.

If you don't mind me asking RK, what did the housing set you back? Am weighing up options on RIMS currently and would be interested to know how it stacks up against this (especially now that the AUD is so well placed against the USD).

If you don't mind me asking RK, what did the housing set you back? Am weighing up options on RIMS currently and would be interested to know how it stacks up against this (especially now that the AUD is so well placed against the USD).

It was US$150 delivered. 1inch BSP at one end, 2 inch pipe and three 1/2 inch BSP female fittings on the rest for the camlock fittings (bought separately) and the compression fitting for the probe. Could have been cheaper had I got a 1 1/2 inch tube instead of 2 but the element I wanted to get in there needed to the 2 inch tubing.

It was US$150 delivered. 1inch BSP at one end, 2 inch pipe and three 1/2 inch BSP female fittings on the rest for the camlock fittings (bought separately) and the compression fitting for the probe. Could have been cheaper had I got a 1 1/2 inch tube instead of 2 but the element I wanted to get in there needed to the 2 inch tubing.

Sounds like a pretty good deal (and piece of kit). i'll be watching this thread with interest to see how it comes together for you.

Well the RIMS got tested on the weekend. An Alt and an American Rye Brown Ale.

After running the autotune on the PID...I have to say this thing is legendary. So easy...I have to ask myself, why for so many years did I do without this nice little bit of kit?

The RIMS housing is great and doesn't take up too much room, the March pump keeps everything moving along nicely including draining the kettle which was proving to be a pain for the second brew...and the ability to change temperature of the mash at the press of a button is simply legendary.

All temps were hit and quickly. The ramp up time is pretty short.

One of the main benefits I found was the lack of crap that ended up in the kettle. As I have never recirculated the mash when I drained out to the kettle it was surprising to see how little extra bits got in there. Virtually none com[pared to my usual small mountain.

I am a happy man. :icon_chickcheers: now I just need to wait until the American Rye Brown Ale and the Alt are ready to drink :icon_drool2:

Once they work they are indeed a thing of beauty. Congrats!

I wasn't sure about RIMS; so I looked it up 'Urban Dictionary' definition LINK

I've recently gone... mad A big thanks to Raven

but tonight it all gets finalised .
ready to roll with a probe
Giddyup! Another convert!
I must have this effect on brewers...
so more on my strange sexual fettish. I did a test last night to see if I could work the Magic
Pushing a touch higher on the probe managed to stay stable and hit temps
next will be drained this weekend for my sister's nice box the edges aren't too straight but everything fits and its sturdy.
Had a bit more of a play with this over the weekend. Really happy with it.
I think I'm going to like the control I'll have without having to worry
And a big thank you to Emmanuel who... screws in nicely, one of the easiest jobs I've ever had.
I was originally going to screw but the cost was too much and it was proving hard
It was US$150 delivered. 1inch one end, 2 inch on the rest
Fitting the probe... Could have been cheaper had I got 1 instead of 2 but I wanted to get in there
Well got tested on the weekend. An American
I have to say this thing is legendary. So easy...I have to ask myself, why for so many years did I do without this
The RIMS is great and doesn't take up too much room keeps everything moving along nicely
was proving to be a pain for the second change
at the press of a button is simply legendary.
All were hit and quickly. The ramp up... is pretty short.
One of the main benefits I found was the lack of crap
it was surprising to see how extra bits got in there com[pared to my usual small happy man.
now I just need to wait until the American are ready to :icon_drool2:
Once they work they are indeed a thing of beauty. Congrats!

Latest posts

Back