Rice In Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was referring to the thick cooked rice "porridge", of course you can't do it with raw rice.

Thanks FourStar,

I'm just about to upgrade from kits to mini-mash and that style of recipe is exactly what I'm chasing, cheers.

So people recommend not using rice with a kit can, but can you do it? If I put the contents of a kit can on the stove and added the dextrose, some hops and the rice glug, would it work? How long would I need to mix it for?? Might be a quick interesting addition to the last couple of kit cans I have at home before I mini-mash..

The whole point of using rice is that it gets converted to fermentables by the diastase already present in the grain malt. Kits don't contain diastase, that stage was long ago before the wort got boiled and concentrated at the kit factory. So with just a plain kit you would end up with a kit plus nonconvertible rice goop.

Sorry to revive this thread but I'm in need of advice....

I will be adding 1KG of rice to my mash tomorrow for a Aussie Lager. I pre-cooked the rice tonight but ended up with a VERY gluey, pudding like consistency to the rice and I am worried that if I add this to my mash I am going to have more trouble than 100% rye when it comes to run-off. Grabbing a bit with my fingers, it was super slick....

Can I ask those who have previously used rice in their mash, to what consistency did you cook your rice to? Am I looking to just cook it normally (as in the conistency of fried rice) or am I looking to cook the sh!t out of it?

Comments appreciated.

Hey maestroMatt,

I cook my rice to gluey gluggy mix. also in my grains i will put bout 500g of rice hulls in with the grains as rice hulls can be used to increase the lautering ability of a mash. this is for a normal size brew of 23lt final volume :)

hope its some help

:kooi:

The whole point of using rice is that it gets converted to fermentables by the diastase already present in the grain malt. Kits don't contain diastase, that stage was long ago before the wort got boiled and concentrated at the kit factory. So with just a plain kit you would end up with a kit plus nonconvertible rice goop.

okay thanks Bribie.

Latest posts

Back