Rice Hulls?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

praxis178

Reaction score
Ok so I was down at my local produce place by some mash for the chooks and mentioned rice hulls more or less just to get an idea of the going rate more than anything else. So anyway it works out at $0.83/kg if I buy a whole bale, it was at this point that I saw the flaw in my cunning plan, a bale is 120kg and about half the size of my car! Anyway I told the guy there (who's a champ at getting hard to find bulk unmodified grains) I'd think about it.

So anyway that's what I'm doing, but what else can I do with all them hulls? :ph34r:

Garden mulch or horse bedding?

Good for your chook pen too.

Buy 1000 kg of rye malt and live on roggenbier for the rest of your life.

I never used them and crush real fine

Pumpy :huh:

I buy a whole bale, it was at this point that I saw the flaw in my cunning plan, a bale is 120kg and about half the size of my car!

Open the bale and it's 20 times the size of your car :lol:

Batz

Go BIAB and you'll never get a stuck mash again :icon_cheers:

Ok so I was down at my local produce place by some mash for the chooks and mentioned rice hulls more or less just to get an idea of the going rate more than anything else. So anyway it works out at $0.83/kg if I buy a whole bale, it was at this point that I saw the flaw in my cunning plan, a bale is 120kg and about half the size of my car! Anyway I told the guy there (who's a champ at getting hard to find bulk unmodified grains) I'd think about it.

So anyway that's what I'm doing, but what else can I do with all them hulls? :ph34r:

I get mine from Acacia Pet & Produce Supplies & Produce Willawong, Sherbrooke Road, Willawong, 07 3372 4122 sterilised .He packed it in 2 x 5kg bags and sown up. Last lot $ per kg. lasts a long time.

find someone with chooks, buy a bail, take out grain sacks worth, use a few of the hooks on the bail to seal your grain bags, sell whats left to the person with chooks. its what i did and worked out great :p

There are some different suppliers of Rice hulls, some are pesticide free and some are not, all I can say is be aware of the manufacturer and check they are pesticide free.
The Bundy Brewers went through this exercise not long ago ( thanks Gregs) and some of the produce places brought the pesticide issue to his attention. Just check they are pesticide free if buying from a produce place.

Andrew

I have a rice pillow

for those that like firm pillows

get a pillow case fill with rice hulls to your liking

sew up the end

put into normal pillow case to use

I must say my last four brews have used rice hulls and quite honestly I would nt go back they are great and make the mash a breeze

Pumpy :)

How much have you been adding per brew Pumpy?

Drew

250 grams to a 40 litre batch Drew I crush quite fine, mash goes Ok but with the rice hulls lautering is a breeze and the time saved is important to me , I thought they were just for wheat beers but will always use them from now on .

give them a go for the price you will not look back

Pumpy :)

I use exactly the same amount in every brew Pumpy - works out at 2L by volume in a jug.
I can pump 5L a minute through a 15kg grain bed with no issues at all, thanks to AndrewQld for the tip.

Cheers Ross

Latest posts

Back