Rice Hulls - Central Coast NSW (Syd/New)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
25Kg should last for about 100yrs...

Its pretty light and bulky, so be prepared

We used to get it dumped on our farm when I was growing up for the cows. Used to get semi trailer loads at a time B)

fraser_john said:
Someone please fix the title to Rice Gulls, it is doing my head in.
Yes its doing my head in as well.

Dont know where these people get Rice Hulls from....

SBOB said:

1. Dubzie 20kg
2. n87 - 10kg
3. Fraser's BRB - 25k
4. Mikeyr 25kg

5. SBOB 10kg

6. welly2 10kg

Left: 25kg

(fixing the maths ;) )
7. Jibba02 10kg

Mikeyr said:
I'd like to stick with 25, going to try a couple of bags out as garden mulch! Bloody cheap for the volume. (And am wondering if it might be an idea to bring a vacuum cleaner along to do the "sucky" trick on some large garbo bags! :D
Not a good idea to use it as a garden mulch, the breakdown of the carbon silica will take years plus as there is so much rice in with the husks it will attract vermin, best thing to do with it is to either make a bio-char with it or just burn it and mix the ash with manure to keep the pH stable in your soil.

1. Dubzie 20kg
2. n87 - 10kg
3. Fraser's BRB - 25k
4. Mikeyr 25kg

5. SBOB 10kg
6. welly2 10kg
7. Jibba02 10kg
8. Judanero 10 kg

5kg left

ill take the last 5 if thats ok.
1. Dubzie 20kg
2. n87 - 10kg
3. Fraser's BRB - 25k
4. Mikeyr 25kg

5. SBOB 10kg
6. welly2 10kg
7. Jibba02 10kg
8. Judanero 10 kg
9. barls 5kg

wide eyed and legless said:
Not a good idea to use it as a garden mulch, the breakdown of the carbon silica will take years plus as there is so much rice in with the husks it will attract vermin, best thing to do with it is to either make a bio-char with it or just burn it and mix the ash with manure to keep the pH stable in your soil.
Appreciate you concern and know your feedback was probably done in good spirit. My interest in gardening started at about 5 years of age and in nice rich volcanic Auckland soils. Have managed to create fertile soils in Perth and Central Coast sand, Sydney rock and clay, Brisbane ...to be fair, pretty good alluvial soil and lets never speak of Adelaide.

Been doing a fair amount of research on different mulch options. Sugar cane is now prohibitively expensive when you need 50 bales at a time! Straw has too many weeds. We already chip and use 95% of the wood off both the properties.

I am aware of the Silica content (must admit carbon silica has me stumped?), however rice hulls in various forms have been used for hundreds of years in farming an are used commercially in some places. Biggest drawback is weight, if windy they can tend to fly around. Easiest thing to do is mix in some sand. I'm planning to use in a bend with heavier material

It's going on heavy clay soils and not being mixed in, should be ideal. PH is manageable

I'm not getting into the biochar debate, however building a charcoal oven (equivalent) is suburban Sydney is probably not going to set me up well with the neighbours and on a 1500sqm block vermin aren't a problem. Well except the bloody rabbits which keeps the dog fit.

Keep you posted on the experiment

if anyone drops out or wishes to split there share i am in on whatevever amounts available.

goldenchild said:
if anyone drops out or wishes to split there share i am in on whatevever amounts available.
I'm happy to drop some, so adjusted below as long as OP and goldenchild are happy with that.

1. Dubzie 20kg
2. n87 - 10kg
3. Fraser's BRB - 15k
4. Mikeyr 25kg

5. SBOB 10kg
6. welly2 10kg
7. Jibba02 10kg
8. Judanero 10 kg
9. barls 5kg
10. goldenchild 10kg

Mikeyr said:
. Sugar cane is now prohibitively expensive
There is a reason for that, and it has to do with it being used in Co-gen plants up here on the north coast. and that fact that everyone wants it

I can get you a few bales cheap ( real cheap ) but freight will kill you ;-)

1. Dubzie 20kg
2. n87 - 10kg
3. Fraser's BRB - 15k
4. Mikeyr 25kg

5. SBOB 10kg
6. welly2 10kg
8. Judanero 10 kg
9. barls 5kg
10. goldenchild 10kg

10kg left

Jibba's out

This making any headway?

if we cant find someone to take the extra 10kg I'm sure we can all pitch in the extra to cover the $5.20 shortfall... :)

I think the only issue will be what it gets packaged into for pickups

ok, have a friend taking some so I've doubled my order so we hit the quota

1. Dubzie 20kg
2. n87 - 10kg
3. Fraser's BRB - 15k
4. Mikeyr 25kg

5. SBOB 20kg
6. welly2 10kg
7. Judanero 10 kg
8. barls 5kg
9. goldenchild 10kg

Awesome.

Im bringing my own grain bags, but i think OP was talking about getting a roll of garbage bags for the unprepaired

yeah, I don't have any grain bags lying around so hopefully some kind of easy pickup bagging will be an option :)

Sorry Lads, been on holidays and havent been checking the forums/emails....

i'll send the payment details through to everyone on the list, should be able to pickup the Bag this weekend.
i'm trying to see if any of my friends have some hanging scales to make it easier to weigh out everything.

As for packaging, i do plan on getting some heavy duty garbage bags, if you can bring a $1 or $2 to cover costs,$21 for 50 x 70L heavy duty bags (works out at just over 40c a bag)

Missed this one...

Anyone drops out I will take whatever I can get.
Would need to be at least 10kg to make a drive worthwhile.
Thanks
James
Zwitter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Only just saw this thread, but I love to use these in my RIMS, very difficult to get hold of them.

Please let me know if anyone drops out. I'm in Sydney but have family on the coast who could pick up any shortfall.

Latest posts

Back