Rice Hull Bulk Buy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraser_john

Go Pies
Reaction score
I am on my last kilo of rice hulls, so I called over to my local rural supplies place to find how much they are. Turns out they are a very reasonable $0.52/kg, excluding GST

Now, the problem, they come in 125 kilo bales at $66/bale.

They store well if kept dry, so I could quite happily take 10-20kg of the stuff for myself as I use it always, but that leaves me with over 100kg to get rid of!

If your interested let me know, its an off chance of getting rid of so much of it I know, but figure its worth asking.....pickup would be at my place or Geelong if your coming from Melbourne to collect.

I also am in Melbourne once a month(starting May) to take my daughter to dance competitions so may be able to arrange pickup in Kew, but this would be limited to 10kg or so at a time due to car space and I don't really have packaging material :(

I am on my last kilo of rice hulls, so I called over to my local rural supplies place to find how much they are. Turns out they are a very reasonable $0.52/kg, excluding GST

They store well if kept dry, so I could quite happily take 10-20kg of the stuff for myself as I use it always, but that leaves me with over 100kg to get rid of!

If your interested let me know, its an off chance of getting rid of so much of it I know, but figure its worth asking.....pickup would be at my place or Geelong if your coming from Melbourne to collect.

I also am in Melbourne once a month(starting May) to take my daughter to dance competitions so may be able to arrange pickup in Kew, but this would be limited to 10kg or so at a time due to car space and I don't really have packaging material :(

Best of luck FJ. People who have never dealt with rice hulls won't understand how much volume is in a 125kg bale of rice hulls and worse, how much packaging will needed to be done to distribute. Those who do know are gulping as they read.

Wait for the person you asks for 500g of the stuff !

To be brutally honest this sounds like a pointless exercise for the benefits gained, but don't let me stop you!

I have never used them how much do you use in a 40 litre batch ?

Do they add flavour to the beer ?

When do you add them ?

Do they speed up the sparge much ?

Pumpy :unsure:

When do you add them ?

200g
no
whenever you use lots of wheat
compared to a stuck mash, heaps
:)

Edit: Lost my decimal place

...they come in 125 kilo bales at $66/bale.

I hope you have a BIG BACK YARD JF!

I have a 2kg bag that is the same size/volume as say 8kgs of milled grain so 125kg is say like 500kg of grain in volume or 20 x 25kg bags of grain. Holy hell! :lol: Extreme BB there... Good luck!

i suppose i could take 20kg off your hands (not that ill be AGing until late april). before i commit ill do a bit more research and see if any others are interested.

I have an acre and a large shed, so tons of room.

I use about 1kg-2kg per 40 litre batch, never have a stuck sparge even with a 50% wheat grist, batch sparge and have the march pump almost at about 50% throttle, so its flowing pretty quick. Efficiency is anywhere between 78% to 82%.

I figured I was being optimistic about people coming on-board, but you never know. I use them and at 1-2kg per batch, you can chew through it quickly.

When do you add them ?

It's just an alternative to gravel pumpy :lol:

In all seriousness to the OP - I'd look into how you can vacuum pack them. I'd imagine they shrink down quite well, but I could be wrong.

I use about 1kg-2kg per 40 litre batch, never have a stuck sparge even with a 50% wheat grist, batch sparge and have the march pump almost at about 50% throttle, so its flowing pretty quick. Efficiency is anywhere between 78% to 82%.

Me too! If I have any wheat in go the hulls and never a drama be had! Good on ya for organising a BB I was shocked at the quantity FJ, it's a shed load of rice hull, no?

Last wheat I did was 50% and ran off at full speed, batch sparge style. Nuts to you all!

(next brew will stick now I've said that hahaha)

125kg is a boatload, the guy at the rural supplies joint reckons its about the size of a wool bale, or 5ftx4ftx4ft, heavily compressed I bet. Shame they don't come in 50kg bales, be much happier with that.

FJ I'll be sure to keep an eye out on the southern horizon for this rice hull nuclear cloud when you open the bale! :lol:

FJ I'll be sure to keep an eye out on the southern horizon for this rice hull nuclear cloud when you open the bale! :lol:

Ha! I was just thinkiing the same thing, something like a giant vacuum pack, fraser puts a tiny pin prick in it and his backyard is raining rice gulls!

Sort of like when kids get playing with the zipper on a bean bag.... always turns out the next person to jump on it showers the living room with beans.

Yep. I'm interested. Gotta sort whether I'd be in for 10 or 20 kg (or slightly more) but count me in if you're mad enough to proceed FJ! Will suss out what I have in the shed when I get home and let you know tonight.

Hopper.

I also am in Melbourne once a month(starting May) to take my daughter to dance competitions so may be able to arrange pickup in Kew :(
I would be very keen to get 10kg, but SWMBO would not see funny side of driving to geelong to get some rice hulls. Kew is very doable however, can I book myself in for the next delivery?
I did a partial wit recently, I wanted to do all raw wheat so couldn't use a wheat extract. So the mash was about 2kg of torrified wheat, some rolled oats and 0.5kg pilsener malt (1.2k kg DME added to the kettle). As you can imagine, getting any run-off was difficult in the extreme. Nonetheless it all came good and I will be making more of this - but rice hulls are definitley required next time!!

Whats best way to arrange a meeting in Kew?

Thanks for this great BB. Hazard

Latest posts

Back