Reusing Yeast Slurry With Gelatin In It

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deevee

Brewing Daisy beers
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding reusing the yeast slurry in the primary fermenter which has gelatin in it. Has anyone did this before? I assume that there is plenty of yeast in the slurry but would the gelatin which has dropped off with the slurry cause any problems. My normal routine is to ferment fully in the primary, then keg the beer with the gelatin but I'd rather do what alot do is add gelatin in the primary then keg.

Any help is greatly appreicated :)

Easy peasy, just take some slurry before you add the gelatin.

Excuse my ignorance but how would I do that? Would I have to tilt the fermenter and draw off some yeast or rack to secondary first and add teh gelatin in the secondary?

Would I have to tilt the fermenter and draw off some yeast or rack to secondary first and add teh gelatin in the secondary?

I'm about to do just that. I have an APA fermenting away with two packs of US-05, and I'm going to harvest some of the slurry for an AIPA. I use isinglass instead of gelatin, but same principle, rack the beer off, harvest, fine the secondary.

you can rack the primary to secondary and then collect the yeast from primary, you should be adding gelatin to the secondary anyway (less work to do)

but if you want to just do it from primary, go for it, the gelatin isn't going to cause any problems

you can rack the primary to secondary and then collect the yeast from primary, you should be adding gelatin to the secondary anyway (less work to do)

but if you want to just do it from primary, go for it, the gelatin isn't going to cause any problems

No worries. Thanks for that. My plan is to add the gelatin in the primary, then cool it in the fridge for a week and transfer to keg. Then hopefully reuse that yeast for another batch. Plan to reuse the yeast three times as I normally do.

Latest posts

Back