Research Questions For Hospitality Students.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proudscum

Reaction score
As part of my Diploma in Training and Assessment i am developing part of an eLearning module on table service of Beer and Wine knowledge.Part of my assessment when developing the elements related to the Beer part of the module is having an assessment of the students knowledge, after i have delivered both an in class lecture (Will take my brewery in to demonstrate the brewing process..Quite excited about this part!)and the students have looked at my online resource that i am creating.

The question to my fellow brewers is what kind of Beer knowledge would you like your waiter to have when offering you a Beer or Ale.

You need to bear in mind that most of these students have little or no beer knowledge at all......

For example
why are Ales different from Lagers?
What makes a Wheat beer different from other types of Beer?

We serve Two Brothers Draft which is a good starting point as far as local tap beer goes and occasionally do Beer matching dinner .

Thanks for your input as this may help me to help you and maybe some mega swill drinkers when dinning out.

I guess I'd want to know about the flavour profile eg the types of malt and hops and yeast used. And also what the style would go well with.

Obviously different customers will want to know different things depending on their own interest and knowledge of beer.
If you started with a basic knowledge of some of the different styles with regards to hop vs malt.
As above some of the more knowledgable customers could be more interested in the actual ingredients.

Cheers Stu

Food pairing will be a big thing to get across.When it comes to malt driven beers vs hops.Different malt and hops will be discussed hope to have a few samples to show this.
Serving temps as well as the correct glassware for the style will be touched on as well.
Alot of info to try and get across in an hour,but may be able to do another session later as part of a different module

Keep it simple.

Only two types of beer lager and ale.

Explain what a lager is, why it is a lager and then look at the family of lagers and in looking at all of the lagers you can talk about what makes them unique, what flavour profiles (in simple terms) makes them unique and then talk about possible food matches etc.

Explain what an ale is, why it is a ale and then look at the family of ales and in looking at all of the ales you can talk about what makes them unique, what flavour profiles (in simple terms) makes them unique and then talk about possible food matches etc.

If you only have an hour you need to keep it simple, at a basic level and leave them wanting more and inspired to go out and learn more armed with a fairly basic understanding of beer and importantly an understanding of how much more to beer there actually is.

Slightly OT.

But isn't the eLearning module to relate to specific UOC's. I completed my Diploma in TAA last year and related the elearning back to the modules I created for the paper UOC's then I just created a prototype website with publisher. Throw in some options for site assessment, open learning and correspondence. I also gave them the hidden text version that mapped the learning tool back to the range statement, the workshop activity to the performance criteria within the elements and the assesment back to the critical aspects for assessment. My job was made easier as i was able to use alot of the material that I created with the change over of the training package I work under.
Yours sounds alot more fun than mine.
I didnt have to do a face to face presentation with my Diploma either, that was only with the cert IV.
Do you have to develop learning tools, assessment tools and trainers benchmarks.

Cheers

Back