Replacement element for an old electric copper/boiler

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hpal

Reaction score
Hi there,
Picked up this old Malley's electric 50l boiler, it works and has a 2400w element but is slow to get to the boil. Does anyone know of where I can cheaply get a replacement one, possibly a 3000w? Thanks in advance. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1439883247.900684.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1439883273.732529.jpg

Not cheap but http://www.thermalproducts.com.au/catering-elements/ (bend it yourself elements) are good.

Have you tried insulating the pot with a yoga/camping mat or air con/air flex insulation? I get the air con insulation from a place at broadmeadow called insulation industries (on Broadmeadow rd) and it is ~$30 for 100cm x 120cm from memory.. worth every cent though.

I've also heard of people floating a pie tin or al foil on the surface of the wort but not tried it myself so can't recommend it personally.

Chuck one of these bad boys in there and use the current element and you'll have no worries. Other option is to pull out the old element and use two of the five star elements.

JD

If it's only slow to get to the boil and don't feel like replacing the element, a lid, insulation and/or an over-the-side element will get you there quick smart. Always good to have an OTS element hanging around the brewery anyways IMO.

Could something like this be re-bent slightly to fit without damaging it?
$_57.JPG

You could send the current broken elemwnt to.someone like Romar elements and have them make a duplicate. Their prices aren't bad ànd they can shape to spec.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I ended up doing a test boil and timed it all and it performed ok, except for half way through when it tripped the power, then old insulation was shot. I treated it to a new ball valve and a new cable and plug so I'll test again or do a brew and see how it goes. It boiled up 30l of water no sweat. Photos are of the old wiring and gunky old tap, just cleaning out the drain pipe and she'll be right. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1439967704.571405.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1439967740.154886.jpg

Back