rent or buy gas bottle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djackal

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm looking to setup my keezer and need to get some gas into it.

Any advice on
a) Do I just get food grade CO2 or do I need beermix (I mainly use to push beer out of kegs, may or may not force carbonate)

b) Should I buy a bottle off a retailer or get a bottle off BOC? I hope to have 3 or 4 kegs on the go but doubt I'd brew more than six times a year.

Cheers in advance, Carl

Buy. 2.6kg or 6kg are probably the easiest sizes to come by. The rent that Bunch Of C***s and their ilk charge is a rip off.

Definitely buy one. You can often jag a good deal on eBay/gumtree, but to buy one new isn't too expensive (have a look at the retail sponsors on here and you'll find one that suits).

I use a 2.6KG cylinder, which lasts at least 3-4 months in peak beer drinking times (4 kegs in my fridge). I also use it to force carbonate beer and water (for the days off).

Where abouts are you located? Someone might know a good place locally.

JD

cheers guys. In Canberra atm so will look online and compare to online prices/sydney prices. reckon i can squeeze 6kg in!

Hi guys, I'm looking to setup my keezer and need to get some gas into it.

Any advice on
a) Do I just get food grade CO2 or do I need beermix (I mainly use to push beer out of kegs, may or may not force carbonate)

b) Should I buy a bottle off a retailer or get a bottle off BOC? I hope to have 3 or 4 kegs on the go but doubt I'd brew more than six times a year.

Cheers in advance, Carl
Hi Carl
I use a 6kg BOC bottle for beer and Sodastream. It's $70 for the year. But here is the deal: once you paid your seventy, the next bottle is free, so it's really only $35 per fill. Can't get cheaper than that. Also use it for welding. And I don't own the bottle!!
And I own a 2.6kg, but it cost me $26 for a refill two weeks ago at the local homebrew shop.
Your call [emoji6][emoji106]
Cheers Elmar

Hi Carl
I use a 6kg BOC bottle for beer and Sodastream. It's $70 for the year. But here is the deal: once you paid your seventy, the next bottle is free, so it's really only $35 per fill. Can't get cheaper than that. Also use it for welding. And I don't own the bottle!!
And I own a 2.6kg, but it cost me $26 for a refill two weeks ago at the local homebrew shop.
Your call [emoji6][emoji106]
Cheers Elmar
My word, they HAVE improved their deals.

Isn't it amazing what a little competition (readily available, rent free swap'n'go 2.6 & 6kg bottles) can do?

Back